Cache Marker? Grave? What is it?

slimjim1987

Greenie
Mar 2, 2011
Hey all!

I found this concrete block in the woods a few days ago while detecting what I believe is an old community. There are no houses left, only bricks scattered around. The writing in the concrete was made while it was still wet, not hardened. It has the initials JAW, and gives the date of Nov 2 1927. The N is backward in Nov. Hopefully you can make it out in the picture. The block is probably about 4x2.

My question is, I'm getting an iron reading on the block of concrete. Not sure if they put rebar in it back then or not. I don't think it's a grave, since it is so crudely done, but would like some other opinions. There is no other concrete in the area.

Attachments

• IMAG0543.jpg
    IMAG0543.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 546

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Real grave of Revielle I. Just kidding, it might be the front piece of a store or a walkway and was marked by the person who either poured it or came along and marked it. How deep is the signal? Under it or in the middle of it? Could be anything. You won't know until you check.

OP
OP
S

slimjim1987

Greenie
Mar 2, 2011
Well, even if it was reveille I would still dig it up if there was some silver there....maybe I'm not the most die hard aggie out there, haha.

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
slimjim1987 said:
Well, even if it was reveille I would still dig it up if there was some silver there....maybe I'm not the most die hard aggie out there, haha.

Go dig it up!!!

Dixiegal

Jul 8, 2012
GA
Detector(s) used
White 808, White Sierra Made, pulse induction, LRL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I don't know what state you are in but the KGC loved backwards letters and numbers. I would move the concrete block out of the way then hit the spot with a metal detector. If you get a hit then dig. If not put the block back and move on.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rebar was used back then. Your signal is most likely steel reinforcement in the concrete. There's only one way to find out.

Hoppus

Aug 20, 2012
Reno, NV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be surprised if it was rebar considering the small size of the block but it is definitely possible. If it's movable I would definitely go with Dixiegal on this one and just pull it out of the way.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, how heavy is it? You say it's 2 x 4, I would assume that means feet. How thick is it? I would have tried moving it when I was detecting there myself. So, i'm gonna assume maybe you tried to move it and it was too heavy for ya?

NW Digger

Oct 14, 2012
Mason, Ohio (moved from wa)
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, White's XLT, GTI 2500, Ace 250, Titan 2000xd, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, how heavy is it? You say it's 2 x 4, I would assume that means feet. How thick is it? I would have tried moving it when I was detecting there myself. So, i'm gonna assume maybe you tried to move it and it was too heavy for ya?

I agree, I'm sure most of us would have tried to move it. 2'x4' even at 4-5 inches thick, that's gonna be a heavy rock!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, I'm sure most of us would have tried to move it. 2'x4' even at 4-5 inches thick, that's gonna be a heavy rock!
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. At those dimensions even a 4" thick piece would weigh approx. 350 pounds. Too heavy for most to lift without a lever & fulcrum, or a hunting partner. Although, the length looks like it's 4 times the size of the width, so I'm sure those measurements are way off from the get go. Whatever it is... 4 x 2 it isn't. :icon_scratch:

Get out there with a partner or bring/find something to use as a lever and get it moved, we are curious! :laughing7:

Last edited:

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was just a kid rabbit hunting with my dad, we ran across a slab like you described. Just laying flat in a field about 100 feet from the edge of a stand of Oak Trees. After some scrubbing and cleaning with sticks and grass we made out the name of a local woman who passed in the '20's. My Dad remembered the family. It looked like the slab was a poured concrete Tombstone and the info was scratched in before it dried. We looked for depressions in the ground that might mark a grave. Found none. Dad notified the lady's family where the stone was. We never heard anymore about the find. Maybe that's what you have.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take pictures of the orientation of the letters to somethingelse like a rock or notable land mark...so you can replace it exactly as it was...KGC were notorious for alignments with other objects ... also used geometryto distinguish to the next lead or position of treasure....one of the lettersmaybe the indicator...if moved it would be out of alignment and you mightfigure it out but be a long way off if its moved any --remember a few degreehere means a big amount out there 100 feet or yards.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Just for rule of thumb, a 6" dia. tube of concrete 3' long will weigh just under 100 lbs. I poured over 1000 or them to use as survey markers and we bought 2000. The ones we poured were about 101 and the bought ones were just over 98 lbs. So.....a 2'X4' slab will be something like 500 lbs per every 6" thick. Better take a pretty good pry bar and something to use as a fulcrum. Good luck.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a thought...... Where is it located in relation to structures or foundations? Possibly a grave marker with an urn underneath. Might want to probe under it before running into the problem of digging up someone.

OP
OP
S

slimjim1987

Greenie
Mar 2, 2011
Y'all are definitely correct, my dimensions are off now that I think about it and look at the photo. Unfortunately, it's larger that 4x2. Probably more like 5x2. and we did dig down beside it to see how thick it is, which I would estimate to be between 8 and 10 inches thick. May need to see if I can get a tractor in there to lift it.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Update? You dont need a tractor, just a couple of guys w/long pry bars. You'd be amazed how much you can move.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Senor aggie: Please hurry and lift the damm thing before I die of old age. The suspense is killing me...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread