Good start, bad ending.

washingtonian jr

Apr 23, 2011
Seattle, Washington
Hey guys! Got out to the usual spot again. The last 2 times I’ve been out, I’ve found silver. Wanted to try my hand at a third day in a row.

So I get to the place and I’m detecting a spot that’s pretty wet mostly from all the rain we get over here. First signal of the day rings a solid 81. Sure enough a Rosie pops up! Third day in a row I’ve found silver so I’m pretty stoked about that.

Probably about 45 minutes in, I’m digging another signal and set my detector down to the side and when I pick it back up, water is falling out of the battery compartment.

So I took the battery out and tried to get all the water out by pouring it out. I turn the detector back on and it starts acting all finicky. This has happened to me in the past so I run to my car and drive to the closest grocery store and bought a bag of rice. My detector is currently filled with rice and I’m hoping it goes back to normal in a few days. Fortunately, I have a backup at my parents house of the same model detector so if worse comes to worse, I’ll just use that.

Hoping my detector pulls through though!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519096608.596756.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519096624.238755.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519096636.267314.jpg

Upvote 11
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find, sorry about the detector.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If your detector is a White they are great people to work with. Hope it turns out positive for you.

FingerChili

Feb 17, 2018
SF Bay Area, California
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can take the detector apart to put rice in it, just take it apart to wash it fully and dry it out with a hair dryer. I wash circuit boards all the time and this is way better than the rice method. Now that it's been powered on and had electricity running through it wet, it may be beyond saving though.

Things not to get wet include batteries, LCD screens, speakers. If there are coils of wire like transformers, chokes, inductors etc give them extra time to dry out.

Kansas_Jayhawk

Mar 11, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good information to know - the rice. Of course in my part of the world water puddles and big foot have yet to be proven.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why i bought a waterproof detector. I cant be trusted not to do something like this almost every single time I detect haha. Hope it's ok and your back in the game

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What brand is your machine?

I have about done the same thing at Creeks , at the lake, & in puddles.

Hope it survives again.

I have used a Whites machine 80% of my 18 years of detecting & can see how easily the battery compartment can flood.

I could flood my Tejon's Battery compartment but most of the Brains are up higher. Still would be bad tho.

It would be harder to do with my G2 as well (in a puddle at-least).

I got an AT-pro in Dec, soooooo; I just got to learn it.
Again GL
The Dime paid $1 to $1.50 on a detector that has likely paid for it's self in finds already.

Now if this happens a 3rd time (not including if you fall in a River , or a rouge wave hits you on the Beach) you are banned from using a Non-Waterproof Detector. LOL
Crazy Davey

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread