mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all. Just wanted to share this with you all. I was dumping some coins today at TD after work. A young blond headed boy, no older then 10 came into the bank with his arms wrapped around an open cardboard box over half filled with coins(mostly nickels). He struggled to get the box to the machine where he was trying to balance it on top of the smaller penny arcade meant for children. I could see he was struggling so i cashed out early and let him go ahead. He struggled to pour the box of coins into the machine that was pulled away from the wall to make it easier. He finished up and took his ticket. He seemed familiar with the machine even at that young age. I finished dumping my coins and took my 2 tickets and waited in line. I could see him at the front of the line getting his money back and getting several more trays of nickels. I wished him good luck as he walked by with his new unopened rolls and he smiled and said thank you. As i walked out the bank, i could see him talking to his mom in their car where she was patiently waiting for him to finish.
It did my heart good to see someone so young having a interest in our hobby even though he did break a basic rule. I hope our hobby will last for their sake as well as ours.
Thanks for reading. Good luck in your searches, MM2

Upvote 0

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brings back memories of when I was just a kid & used to ride my bike to the bank - in the 80s. I too hope this hobby is around for awhile.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh this brings back memories as well, although I did not up my volume until ~6-7 years ago, when I was a kid, I always bought a few rolls of pennies and nickels here and there, and of course, half dollars.
thanks for sharing.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
indeed, I saw a teenager with his dad picking up a gold dollar box when I was dumping halves. Great to see it passing forward!

Golden Eagle

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm only 24 and I have been coin roll hunting for a while. I think more young people would be interested in coin roll hunting if the banks weren't so aggressive when it comes to it. My banks seem okay with it, but I have heard many horror stories.

Hunter612

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am 14 and I have been collecting coins for years because my grandpa would always give me a silver dollar for my birthday and I started buying coins on my own at about age 7. It just depends on the people that influence you. If my grandpa hadn't taught me about coins I might of never started collecting. He passed away last march and I wish I would have known about crh while he was still alive so we could have done it together because I know he would have loved it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread