Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Meteorites are like gold~ you will have to dig all targets and evaluate from there. You can increase your chances by trying known strewn fields. Otherwise you'll want to hunt area's low in man made rubbish. The VDI's will fall in the iron range but due to composition there is no set of VDI's for them that I am aware of.
Good luck. Lots of not meteors out there so take a good bit and read up on the characteristics of them and the characteristics of common minerals that mimic them.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Meteorites can also be nickel or iron, or nickel and iron, or a stony (silicate matrix) iron, and some are mostly rock with a bit of iron & nickel.

So, the lower half of your detector's range. And don't forget about 5% of the Earth's crust is iron so not all iron rocks are meteorites.

OP
OP
sproatz

sproatz

Oct 2, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites spectra v3i with multiple coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if I get like nickel readings it can be a maybe. I've only checked the iron signaling

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread