Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I got an unusual question here I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with.

Anyone know of some good water shoes to wear while panning in a shallow river or stream?

The reason I'm asking is because these rocks up here in NH are hell on bare feet. Not to mention how slippery they are from the algae. I'm needing something for protection as well as something with a little traction. And i feel a little clumsy with good old fashioned rubber boots.

What do you guys use out in the field?

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These. DSCN0246.JPG
Waterproof....but I still spray them with camp dry/silicone to make sure. Ankle support? Check. Rock protection? Check.
Do these size 14's cause turbidity as I "plant" them (with a twist or two..) into the river bottom? (as falling down sucks...) Check!

laughing11.gif

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the ideas, everyone. I've been reading and comparing non-stop for days now and I think I'm gonna go with these. They're the Keen Men's Clearwater CNX sandals. They seem to have good grip, will protect the toes, are lightweight, and will dry quickly for the ride home. And you can throw them in the washer, according to a few reviews.

Also, these are just for when I get to the water. For the hike in, I use nothing but my Red Wing work boots. Plenty of ankle support there.

886691a227b8f01271c4d744c534c067.jpg

We'll see how they fare...

Thanks again for the ideas. :)

Good choice, they're exactly what I wear in summer and fall. They're super tough and surprisingly comfy.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the ideas, everyone. I've been reading and comparing non-stop for days now and I think I'm gonna go with these. They're the Keen Men's Clearwater CNX sandals. They seem to have good grip, will protect the toes, are lightweight, and will dry quickly for the ride home. And you can throw them in the washer, according to a few reviews.

Also, these are just for when I get to the water. For the hike in, I use nothing but my Red Wing work boots. Plenty of ankle support there.

886691a227b8f01271c4d744c534c067.jpg

We'll see how they fare...

Thanks again for the ideas. :)

I have a pair of those and I will not wear them while mining. If you have any sand or small rocks the toes pack up and the small rocks get trapped between all the straps and your feet turning them to hamburger. If you want sandals for the summer, less is more, something that will allow the sand, rocks, and debris to "flow" thru the shoe. and a pair of knit ankle socks will keep the sand from in betwixt the toes. Teva Original Universal | Men's - Monterey Black. In the spring and fall it's like Goldwasher said, whatever cheap soft bottomed boots or cross trainers Big 5 has.

OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point, fowledup. Might look Into these instead.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Terry said above looks good to me.:icon_thumright: Felt soled wading boots may be ok too but I have found mine still slip on algae covered rocks. There are screw in metal cleats to modify felt soles available in flyfishing shops.

DO NOT USE FELT SOLES!!! They can transfer invasive species, and are illegal in a number of areas.

Try wetsuit boots. I like the Deep See zippered boots. ~$30

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
DO NOT USE FELT SOLES!!! They can transfer invasive species, and are illegal in a number of areas.

Try wetsuit boots. I like the Deep See zippered boots. ~$30

Those ARE nice! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread