Good weekend: new sites , son gets some coinage, AND my 1st silver!! (with luck)

renogeoff

Jan 27, 2010
Carson City NV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EuroTek Pro/Explorer II/Safari/ACE 250,Classic IDX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been hunting as much as I could since I got my machine last month, and each time I seem to get better at figuring out when to dig, how to pinpoint, etc. (getting a handhelp pinpointer helped tremendously :)).
Well, I met my detecting buddy, Underdog, at a site of a demolished old bar I drive by every day. I knew it was full of debris, but figure the Dog could help sift through the mess with his superior machine, as he always gets the silver and wheaties, while I get the pull tabs! >:(
We both start swinging the area, and find a few coins, lots of nails (even a couple square) and not much else. I them hit a strong signal, and pull out an old horse shoe (maybe hung in the entrance?) I toss it in my "nail" pile and keep swinging, when I get a good coin signal. Now my monotone, displayless machine won't tell me what it might be, so I usually have to dig a few scoops and hope for the best. But not this time. :laughing7: I look down and start to pinpoint and right under my coil is a dime sitting on the dirt. :o FDR looked back as I picked him up. I had a hunch, and sure enough, it was a 1958d. :icon_sunny:
Must have been the lucky horse shoe!! (which I kept) Not much else from there except a wheatie for Underdog. (and I have yet to get a wheat)
After that, I took my son to a popular park in town, and let him use the pinpointer while I swung, so I didn't have to bend over so much. :wink: and let him keep the clad we found. We clawed up $2.20 near a tree in about an hour. (he wants to go back next weekend to hit the rest of the park).
Next week I plan on hitting another recently vacated lot where a home from the 30's used to sit. I stopped my Friday during lunch and got some coins amongst the nails and debris. '66 dime and some 70's pennies near the surface. Hope more goodies deeper!!

Attachments

• finds 1st silver.jpg
    finds 1st silver.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 249
Upvote 0

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Congrats on your 1st Silver !!!! :headbang: