Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSC_0158.JPG

Today I said goodbye to a very special friend.....and his name was Bill Jennings... This is his story....

About a year ago I was doing some research on the Lost Pegleg in the local ( Hemet, California ) library, when a volunteer told me that I should meet a man named Bill Jennings. I said ok who's Bill Jennings. She told me that Bill was a extremely noted author, editor and just a GREAT guy to talk to. Well I'm always ready to talk to anyone who might have some info, so I called and talked to his wife Anne and we set a date to meet. I was very nervous to meet someone who was well educated and a true professional ( I didn't want to come across like someone who has not done his homework ). So when I met Bill I brought some of my collection of newspaper clippings, some Desert Magazine's and my copy of Golden Mirages ( I felt prepared ). Bill and I started talking about my two favorite subjects Pegleg Smith's Lost Gold and Lost Ship of the Desert. There was a straight forwardness about Bill, he also had that look in his eye like... Well are just going to believe that or ??? He also had a compassion like a father would give a son, and I knew right then and there I needed to see him as much as I could. I learned that Bill was a writer for Desert Magazine, he was a journalist ( he had a column called " On My Side " which ran for 40 yrs in the San Jacinto Valley ), he became the Hemet bureau chief for what is now the Press Enterprise ( the major newspaper in the Inland Empire ) and he spent a decade with University of California Riverside's Deep Canyon Research Center. He was VERY qualified. Bill was not doing well when I met him and there were times when he wasn't sure if he could talk so sometimes I bribed Bill with Marie Callender pies if he wasn't sure, and it worked... ( after all, a pie was well worth the time ). Bill and I would meet on and off over the next 6 months or so and the last time I saw him he gave me three books to read saying " these are from my private collection, but I think you'll like them ". One was from Dennis Casebier and he was right, I just couldn't put it down. I had to work a ton for awhile but as soon as I could I called and asked to meet him again, and to return the books, and that is when Anne told me he had passed......It didn't really sink in till today. There was a " gathering " at the Hemet Museum ( the old depot ) and it was then that I realized just how special he REALLY was. Someone once told that you can tell how rich a person's life was by how many people come to bid farewell... and Bill was a VERY rich man. The place was packed with all kinds of people, journalist, historians, editors, friends and family members. His children ( all are full grown adults ) wore " Dads " Hawaiian shirts and in his honor did not iron them. LOL....His greatgrandaughter played her flute ( she has only been playing for 2 weeks- brave girl ). There were people wearing bandanna's ( another Bill trademark ) and there were a lot of tears. But they were not tears of sorrow, they were tears of joy, in celebrating a life of someone very very special. We all sat around and told " funny Bill stories " and just reminisced about Bill. Afterwards we went back to Bills place and had food and drink and just sat back and relaxed.
Bill, wherever you are, I THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for all the time you have given me, and I am PROUD to call you my friend. I know I will never meet another one like you... I miss you......

PLL

DSC_0159.JPG
A collage of Bill's life

DSC_0162.JPG
The lady in the middle wearing purple is Katherine Siva a very respected Cahuilla Elder.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katherine_Siva_Saubel

DSC_0166.JPG
Anne Jennings and some fat guy LOL !!!! ( me )

DSC_0164.JPG
The band

DSC_0165.JPG
A collection of friends

Here's a link to Bill's obit: http://www.pe.com/localnews/rivcounty/stories/PE_News_Local_S_jennings14.399f8b4.html

SnakeEater

Oct 22, 2008
So Calif.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Pulse Star 2, "Cachefinder" LRL, GPL
I had the rare opportunity to be taken under wing for a little less than a year by 'Big' Jim Christiansen, one of the spearfishing greats of all time. Jim was one of a handful of pioneers from the Long Beach Neptune's club that had to build his own gear and learn by hands on experience. His wisdom about the sea, sea-life, and man's interaction with them were not lost forever in his passing.

I am teaching my sons and others what I learned from Jim and making sure they know where I got it from. His name will not be forgotten, at least not while I am still alive, and I can only hope that my sons will mention him to their children.

My condolences during your time of loss,

Glenn

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
John what a nice tribute to your friend, and my condolences on your loss. Mr Jennings was one of those rare individuals, really a treasure in the flesh. Treasures come in many forms, and the best treasure is a friend. I think Mr Jennings would be pleased amigo.
Your friend,
Roy ~ Oroblanco

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Incredible tribute to a true treasure of a person. Thank you for sharing with us some of what he was like. My prayers are with the friends and family of this great man!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions