Google Earth Bents New Fort

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Bents new fort on the Arkansas is on private property, and we were given permission to go there. It's kind of the story of my life, I could have spent days there, but we only had an hour or two, and the way I feel about it, anything is better than nothing. My daughter lives in Denver, and we drove to Lamar just for the day. She knows a number of people in Lamar, including the fellow that owns the land the fort is on. Rginn and I were talking about the fort on one of Tamrock's threads, and I don't want to hijack it, so will start a new one with a couple of views from Google Earth. In these pictures the river has a LOT more water in it than when I was there. There is a lot of irrigation demands on the river, so late in the year it would be very low.

Bents new fortA.jpg

Bents new fort1A.jpg
My daughter at the monument for the fort.
bents ft kim.jpg
And this picture shows the remains of the inner rectangular wall.
bents ft wall.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's amazing of how much of the foundations can still be seen from Google earth of Bent's Fort. Not all that far from me is the old location of the Bent, Saint Vrain & Co. You can't see any evidence of it from Google earth other then a stone marker. Fort St Vrain - FortWiki Historic U.S. and Canadian Forts

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way cool, and I hope someday you get back down there and can spend more time. Lot of history along that stretch of the river and the Bent family lived through it all. If you ever come across the book 'Halfbreed' by all means latch on to it. It's the life story of William's son George, and a remarkable story it is.

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I will be looking for the book.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Google Earth can be very beneficial to us, can't it? I use it a lot in looking for detecting places. Awesome history in your post. Thank you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread