Google earth image. any idea where the house might have been?

Oct 2, 2008
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 Old Folks Knowledge
This is a block that is across the street from my dad's church. The couple who originally donated the building for the church had a house on this lot somewhere. i assumed it was in amongst the trees in the top middle of the photograph. i'm guessing the house was built around 1870. any ideas from looking at this?
thanks for the hep.

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 1,132

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would guess the house was in the upper left corner. On old farms around here they planted pine trees in the west and north side of the house for a wind break. Are those pine trees?

OP
OP

Oct 2, 2008
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the tip. As far as I remember, yes they are pine trees.

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
rodgerdodger said:
I would guess the house was in the upper left corner. On old farms around here they planted pine trees in the west and north side of the house for a wind break. Are those pine trees?

I agree it looks like an old house plot on the left top.

OP
OP

Oct 2, 2008
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used
Where at in the top left? I have mainly searched around F2.
Where would you say?
Or would you say off of the grid?

Attachments

• map2.JPG
    map2.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 977

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I myself would try the grid B,C,D - 4,5,6. The shadows almost lead me to believe something was there.

If this land is being currently farmed you may want to wait until spring and just walk the whole area looking for nails and glass. In my area it seems like almost every home site I have been to had used some kind of white plates with dark blue writing or pictures - I find pieces on the surface quite often.

The second place I would look is to the right of your grid - in the middle of the sparse trees.

Good Luck.

Edit: one more thing. In the picture at the top between and below the two letter S's on Louis & St - is that a driveway? Many times my dad and I would find a field site by just finding the current driveway. The farmers would use the same driveway to get to the fields that the homestead had used.

OP
OP

Oct 2, 2008
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used
I just realised, you can't even see those dark areas at eye level. i'm going to go look around out there here in a minute. i'm not sure you realise how large of an area this is though. look at the other houses in the picture; pretty big area for just a house. maybe a house and some other buildings though. i don't know what the gardner family had out there.
the spot of trees on the left at the top is actually two rows of trees with enough space between them for a narrow house. this is where i have primarily looked in the past.
i'm not sure about the driveway. haven't checked that far. my dad's church is across the street on the left side of the picture, and any farther than the trees and i feel like i am getting out of safe territory.
not being farmed right now. middle of a nighborhood. just tall grass that could stand cutting. kind of hard to dig.
thanks a bunch for all of the input.

OP
OP

Oct 2, 2008
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used
started on the relic setting with my ace 250. dug a bent up stainless bowl and an old rake head, probly around c,d..6,7. only had about an hour of daylight so i switched to coin mode and dug about 5 beer cans from 80s or so.
in amongst the trees is where i found a zinc and glass fruit jar lid. probably had it right at first.
i tried to see if i could find the brown spots, and there were a couple of low spots in that area. no idea.
there's something on that lot somewhere though

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I agree that there was a probable home in the upper left quadrant as everyone else has pointed out. However, there is another faint, unnaturally square impression on the property towards the upper right.

map3.jpg map2.jpg

Just something to consider....take 5 minutes to check that area as well. May have only been a large barn in that area but something certainly is different with the soil there.

Pcola

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread