Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok folks... First I have to admit I am techno challenged to a point. So I'm asking any of you if you have an opinion or knowledge in this arena please help me.

As many of you know I have a cave behind my home. I've explored A LOT of it. It has these mud mounds with etchings upon them. And behind these mounds are tunnels going back into the cave wall. Maybe 6" - 10" wide-tall...? I do not and will not destroy these mounds to take a look behind them. And there are other places I'd like to look behind also but can't due to space constraints.

Here's what I like to get and if someone has an even better idea let me know.

I was thinking of getting a GoPro camera and mounting the camera on the end of an adjustable "stick". Maybe on a "stick" that is flexible and telescopes...? And I'd like to have the camera wirelessly transmit to a tablet in real time so I can see. And I want the camera to record everything it see's also. I do NOT own a smartphone. So I'd have to purchase a tablet or something to view in real time. And remote traveling vehicles are not possible within this environment. Now I can read like all of us can.... but as I said earlier I'm just way behind in the techno world.

Sooooo... with all that said does anyone know or have a clue as too what I might need to get this job done? It sure would be a fun day when this is possible.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Here's something you have to really consider. If you can't get in some areas because of restricted access, No one else has been in there either so there will be nothing of interest in there, unless you are mining. Something to think about before you blow several hundred on photo equipment. Just a thought, Frank.
Eagle desending.jpg

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's something you have to really consider. If you can't get in some areas because of restricted access, No one else has been in there either so there will be nothing of interest in there, unless you are mining. Something to think about before you blow several hundred on photo equipment. Just a thought, Frank.
View attachment 1224848

Absolutely true Frank.... Don't doubt that logic at all. But if you look at my avatar there's a mound shown with etching's upon it. Behind it is a tunnel. And there's another in the background (back right side). And still WAY BACK is another "squared up mud mound" with a deep tunnel behind it also.

I've been told these mounds are "natural" in nature...? Do they appear to be natural to you or anybody..? Behind each is a tunnel with the mound blocking its entrance. So.... is there anything behind them...? Hell, I don't know. But I believe there're not natural unless someone can logically explain to me how these "squared up" mud mounds developed. Especially my avatar with everything around the mounds resembling nothing close. All these mounds are in CLOSE QUARTERS!!!! There tops are barely below the ceiling level.

I truly don't want to spend hundreds of dollars but I'd like a reasonable explaintion into why there their and why are the tunnels behind them. I've been searching for answers and logical answers for a LONG TIME.

Thanks, Brad

Attachments

• S6302854.JPG
    S6302854.JPG
    655.4 KB · Views: 68
  • S6302839.JPG
    S6302839.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 73
  • S6302856.JPG
    S6302856.JPG
    729 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suggest PVC Pipe and a couple of decent light weight flash lights. I made rig for my go pro to send it under water using 3/4 inch PVC pipe and connectors and drilling holes threw them to bolt it all together. PVC is pretty cheap the connectors are about 2$ apeice unless you buy a bunch of them at a garage sale like I did. My GoPro is an older one and it needs quite a bit of light to get good video. The handle bar mount has worked well for me with it. Another idea is I saw at walmart they had some Vivitar gopro knock off cameras for less then 70$ that might also work. There might be some interesting stuff in the cave you never know.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys.... THANKS!!!!! I hadn't thought about using PVC pipe with a GoPro attached. And 0909 that is one cool camera. And you can't beat the price either. I'm thinking about that 39" max lead though. I'd hate to need another 18"-24" and it's not there...? But this is a great option though. And taking the PVC pipe option one more step..... I could put a 45 degree coupler on to look around a slight bend also. But at that point I'll be just filming long lost cave critters.

The reason for the tunnels behind these mounds just trips my curiosity a lot. I think about them all the time. Maybe I need a shrink....???? :dontknow:

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better to find out then live always wondering. That cable camera just made me think of it, you can get pin hole USB cameras with lights on them off of eBay pretty cheap to that might also work.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
the cable cam has a zoom feature, like you id like to know
whats behind the mounds, ill be watching to see if you
fig it out, should be great fun, i couldnt do it, claustrophobia
guess ill never find treasures in caves LOL

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Very interesting about how the mounds and caves tie together. Could be really old. You're going to need lights.
Good luck Limitool!

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very interesting about how the mounds and caves tie together. Could be really old. You're going to need lights.
Good luck Limitool!

Rusty / 0909.... If your interested here's a link to an old thread I started about the cave. There's a lot of photo's within the thread. It is a long thread through. And... 0909 I'd sure like to hear a logical reason why tunnels are in the cave walls behind the mounds also. Logic tells me (?) that the tunnels can't be "natural" water carved holes because the squared up mounds wouldn't be there if water was pouring out of the holes.... right?

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...59-metal-detectiing-tn-cave-anybody-done.html

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
HERE'S THAT ROCK AGAIN. Now that I blew it up I can read ( H L R ) Who could fit those innitials? Frank
cave writting.jpg
Frank

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you Limitool for a very interesting link.
It seems logical that it may have been used by an ancient people that had to escape
the extremes of environmental hazards. Probably the kind of thing that changed and drove societies to
move on or disappear altogether from their natural habitat. I believe we are older than we think and societies have come and gone and the truth and information is right below our feet.
You indeed may have a great discovery with these mounds and caves. By all means explore it! With great care is implied!

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Brad, not sure if talked about b4, is there room to form the mounds
in the area as to not block the tunnels behind the mounds

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brad, not sure if talked about b4, is there room to form the mounds
in the area as to not block the tunnels behind the mounds

Yea... there's room. But, that's the mind blogging part... why? Now there's not much room to accomplish the task concerning the ones way back but I reached them. And if you review the pics of the ones nearer the front you can see there relationship of us and the tight area.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Brad,

Not sure if you need a WIFI signal from an internet source but the information at the link below is ow to link up a GoPro Hero 3, 3+ or 4 to a PC with Windows. The next link is for linking to a Mac based PC. Although I am not sure, the information I have read states that GoPro Hero 3, 3+ and 4 have their' own WIFI. Like you, I am tech. geek challenged and believe a dumb person like me should never get a Smart Phone as the two together are dangerous!:laughing7:

Frank

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been looking at Endoscopes and Bore scopes lately. These tools would seem to be even better than a GoPro mounted on a stick. And they come in many different lengths also. They are very inexpensive also. But, this only includes the camera and cable with a USB connection at it's end. I'll have to get a laptop, notebook, smartphone or some devise with a USB input port to view in real time. I also want one with a card holder to video and store pictures. If I wanted to spend more I could get the whole package in one tool that does everything! This includes video, pictures, USB port, SD card port, sound and completely waterproof. That's probably what I need to do....?

I think going this route would allow me to reach into another area where I believe another cave is located near the one I've found. Mother nature has landslide it shut but it has water coming out of it with enough room to access with a bore scope and look around. Stay tuned.... I'm ordering something real quick!!!!!

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
cant wait for the imgs/vids
i so want to know whats in the tunnels, makes ya go hummm
knowing the mounds could have been built without blocking
the tunnels. stay safe dont go alone

flashyace

Sep 26, 2013
southern Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
I would get a very small remote control car you can get them as small as a matchbox car if you wanted one that small, then you control it while it broadcast to your phone or laptop

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would get a very small remote control car you can get them as small as a matchbox car if you wanted one that small, then you control it while it broadcast to your phone or laptop

While the remote control car may seem like a good idea.... if you saw the area you'd know it wouldn't work. These tunnels are all soft dirt / mud in nature. Not rock or smooth at all. I really believe the borescope or a GoPro on a stick will do a great job. I just have to learn how to use them whichever new tool I decide to purchase.

Where ya from in Southern Mich.? I was born / raised in the Constantine - Three Rivers area. Worked in Kalamazoo for 19 years @ Fisher Body.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread