Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
My good friend Evan is in town visiting for a few days, and my regular hunting buddy Dan joined us for a fun day of hunting at a couple of our well-hit sites. The day started out on the very wet side with a number of heavy downpours making for miserable hunting conditions, but things finally made a dramatic improvement by midday. After not digging many targets for the first 2-3 hours, I was quickly passing through an area well-removed from the house site and on a slope, and was suddenly startled by a nice sounding hit. It was too high for cut silver, and I was thinking more along the lines of a musketball or large brass button. But when I flipped the dirt out of the hole I could see the faint glint of a silver edge, and upon closer inspection could make out the telltale corded edge confirming this would indeed be spanish silver. And what a nice one it was - a 1729 one reale with near perfect detail!! Although I've dug almost 90 cut pistareens, I can count all the whole ones I've recovered on the fingers of one hand. So this was indeed a special find for me.

Later we decided to take Evan to another site that we've hit really hard over the last 2 seasons, but for some reason the once barren area in and around the iron patch started singing out with signals. We couldn't figure out why that was happening, but we weren't complaining. Although most were deep and iffy signals, nearly all of the recoveries were keepers. Not long after I helped Dan fill in a shallow fire pit we'd been investigating, I got a tight and very obvious signal that initially was reading in the mid-60s on my F75. Once I opened the hole and had the target out, it read a little lower at about 60. Not sure what to expect, I broke open the dirt clod and staring back at me was yet another piece of colonial silver - an early 1700s cut pistareen. So although my overall finds for the day weren't all that great in terms of quantity, I was quite pleased with the outcome. At the end of the day I came home with colonial silvers #8 and #9 for the season (177 & 178 overall), and I now have a fighting chance to hit double digits again this year. I had a great day of fun and comradery, and everyone returned home happy and with a nice pouch full of goodies.

Sorry, but the pics were (again) improperly ordered after the upload.

Attachments

• 032615aa.jpg
    032615aa.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 191
  • 032615a.jpg
    032615a.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 222
  • 032615b.jpg
    032615b.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 317
  • 032615c.jpg
    032615c.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 259
  • 032615d.jpg
    032615d.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 207
  • 032615dd.jpg
    032615dd.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 232
  • 032615e.jpg
    032615e.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 226
  • 032615f.jpg
    032615f.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 226
  • 032615g.jpg
    032615g.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Upvote 33

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, if you look up " beauty " in the dictionary, there should be a picture of that Reale. You can not expect one to have any better detail. It is perfect!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a wonderful set of saves! Lovely!

How do you put up your pics? Thru which option?

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful colonial silver! Nice finds for old pounded sites. My favorite time to detect is in the rain, I always do better. The moister helps but I also think it slows me down lol. HH!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any property for sale down by you, i gotta get down there--lol---great job---hh

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OMGosh Bill! That one reale is un-reale. How sweet. It amazes me that we find much more modern coins even silver ones, worn and toasty, but then you can still find find a coin like that, two hundred and eighty six years old, that looks like it did the day it was made. I usually don't go out in the rain. Paid off for you though! NICE. Congrats.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't stop looking at that 1 reale. I don't think I've seen one posted that looked that nice. What was in the little pit? Was it an old one that Dan reopened?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TreasureNet

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What a wonderful set of saves! Lovely!

How do you put up your pics? Thru which option?

I scrolled down from where I was entering the text for my post and clicked on "Manage Attachments" like I usually do. Most of the time the pics appear in the post in the same order they were uploaded, but sometimes they get all scrambled up which is quite frustrating. Not sure why this happens, but it definitely has a negative impact on the flow of things.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't stop looking at that 1 reale. I don't think I've seen one posted that looked that nice. What was in the little pit? Was it an old one that Dan reopened?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TreasureNet

Dan mentioned in his post that we recovered some black glass spouts and bases, a couple of pipe stems, some whiteware pottery, and a few other odds and ends. Lots of charcoal too. But it was fairly shallow as usual. There have to be some deep pits nearby, and we might have to go to drastic measures - grid probing - if we want to find the deep and productive spots.

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had fun as always man. That pistareen is a beaut...about as nice as the ones you see from the water with that crisp detail....the silver gods were with you man...I am going to give it the college try but I think you have me this year.

HH

Dan

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I scrolled down from where I was entering the text for my post and clicked on "Manage Attachments" like I usually do. Most of the time the pics appear in the post in the same order they were uploaded, but sometimes they get all scrambled up which is quite frustrating. Not sure why this happens, but it definitely has a negative impact on the flow of things.

I've found that, usually, when using that function, if the pics are sorted on your pc before they are uploaded they'll hold their position better.

But the better way to go is to use the little "insert image" on the menu bar above the posting window. That one allows for placing them where one wants.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill it's awesome to see you pull a nice uncut piece of Spanish....gorgeous Spanish I might add. That had to feel really good after having a lull on the colonial silver. Hope you guys have an awesome time hunting together Bill. Can't wait to see what's next

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Bill, you never disappoint..

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, that Spanish Silver is a beauty!! Congrats Bill. Nice variety of other goodies as well, WTG!

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that's my kind of detecting. That's a beautiful 1 real and the cut pistareen is a great find. Color me jealous.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you kidding me?!?! That 1729 condition is spectacular!

Amazing find and congrats buddy!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful colonial silver! Nice finds for old pounded sites. My favorite time to detect is in the rain, I always do better. The moister helps but I also think it slows me down lol. HH!

I don't mind hunting in a little light rain or drizzle, but when the heavy monsoons come I'm headin' for the truck. That is unless my buddies are digging silver left and right .... lol!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions