Gorgeous gilted colonial buckle from Saturdays hunt.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Gorgeous gilted colonial buckle from Saturday's hunt.

I got an invite from my friend Joey to join him for a hunt at an early site he had just recently acquired permission at. This was quite an early site, and Joey provided a nice historical summary that you can read about in his recent post. We started out in the large field that contained the remains of the original home, but things were rather slow. I was surprised that even going slow in the heavy iron produced little in the way of results. But I did end up with one nice find - a large, gilted colonial frame buckle. I could not find it in my buckle reference book, but it probably dates to around the mid-1700s. A little later we decided to venture down to the waters edge and check out the marshy area during low tide. Joey told me the owner (or his relative?) had eyeballed a nearly intact black glass bottle there a while back so I thought it was worth a look. But it was very rough going as you can see from the pic below. Unfortunately I was unable to make any recoveries. At that point we decided to try and find a trash pit as that was one of our main objectives of the hunt. Based on Joey's great research we had a real good idea of where the kitchen structure once stood, and that was the best place to look as trash was nearly always dumped in a low area nearby. As soon as we started probing on the slope close to the kitchen site we hit paydirt. We decided to dig a small test hole about 2 ft wide, and started getting down to the use layer at about the 2 ft level, and it continued down another 1.5 - 2.0 ft or so. As Joey's post shows, we got a large quantity of artifacts from that one small spot including many black glass bottle parts, mid-1700s chamberpot shards, pipe stems, brick, bones, oyster shells and all the usual 18th century trash pit finds. That's Joey doing some sifting in the pic below. After filling in the hole we did some probing in the vicinity to determine the approximate size of the trash pit, and it appears to be fairly large (maybe 50x25 ft). So the opportunity exists to get into a large, extensive pile of early artifacts there. And I love our chances for finding bottle seals at this site since this was the home of a prominent person who likely did a lot of entertainment. After a little more detecting in the field and looking for the ice house, we stumbled across a bonus pit that Mr. Groundhog had already found for us. There was a pile of dirt on a downslope at the edge of some dense vegetation that I could see contained oyster shells and brick. But upon closer inspection we realized the pile was loaded with black glass bottle parts, and it was located right next to a groundhog hole. We spent a while digging in that area without any significant recoveries, and had to cut things short due to it getting late and us both being worn out from a full day's work. Certainly hope we have the opportunity to get back in there and do some more serious digging in the near future. Thanks again Joey - I had a blast.

Attachments

• 030213a.JPG
    030213a.JPG
    256.3 KB · Views: 242
  • 030213b.JPG
    030213b.JPG
    209.6 KB · Views: 222
  • 030213c.JPG
    030213c.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 265
  • 030213d.JPG
    030213d.JPG
    356.8 KB · Views: 216
  • 030213e.JPG
    030213e.JPG
    308.2 KB · Views: 227
  • 030213f.JPG
    030213f.JPG
    291 KB · Views: 226
Upvote 6

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very beautiful buckle, Bill. I wouldn't wanna dig in that marshy area! Yikes!

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bill great hunt and beautiful buckle. I know theres more in store for that site. I have a few sites up here that need probing, do you travel?:laughing7:

Crisis

Feb 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking buckle there im figuring there are a few more keepers in there.

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice buckle and other finds as well!

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a great area should be fun.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You're right,that is a gorgeous buckle for sure. How do you go about determining when and where to dig to a level a foot or more deep? Test holes? what criteria?

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill - Do you have good success with those sifters when finding valuable relics? I use them sometimes when i'm digging huts out but normally only get broken glass,pottery,nails and some pajama type buttons sometimes a small decorative artifact will emerge I once found a small decorative rock that was carved into an angel by a civil war soldier thought that was pretty kewl.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You're right,that is a gorgeous buckle for sure. How do you go about determining when and where to dig to a level a foot or more deep? Test holes? what criteria?

I use a 4 ft probe and randomly stab the ground in suspect areas feeling for pit debris. When an area feels "good" I dig a small test hole down to and through the use layer that I felt with the probe. Depending on what comes out I either continue to dig it out and eventually sift the dirt back into the hole, or move on to another spot.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill - Do you have good success with those sifters when finding valuable relics? I use them sometimes when i'm digging huts out but normally only get broken glass,pottery,nails and some pajama type buttons sometimes a small decorative artifact will emerge I once found a small decorative rock that was carved into an angel by a civil war soldier thought that was pretty kewl.

I didn't do a whole lot of sifting until a couple years ago when my friend Stan started sifting at his huge colonial pit site he had been digging in for years, and started recovering early black glass bottle seals that were apparently being missed. He made a believer out of me and now its standard practice for me to sift everything. I used to think I could spot just about everything with my eyeballs, but you'd be surprised at the stuff that can get easily missed - clay pipe stems and bowls, pottery shards, bottle seals, etc. It's really hard work sifting in the colonial pits as they're always full of bricks, oyster shells, bones, and all kinds of other junk that requires dumping the sifter frequently, but I'm convinced its worth the extra effort.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for giving my first taste of colonial pit digging Bill! You're a wealth of knowledge and hopefully we can get back out there soon.

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice buckle it cleaned up great.looked like a lot of work but it paid off.nicely done buddy.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, gorgeous would be the right word. I bet that was really handsome when it was new.

Good save!
HH!

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Beautiful buckle Bill. Another nice one for the display. Cant wait to see your new editions in a couple weeks. Good luck at that site, I think you guys have just scratched the surface.
-Evan

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for giving my first taste of colonial pit digging Bill! You're a wealth of knowledge and hopefully we can get back out there soon.

Glad I could be there to witness your first productive colonial pit dig. Now that you're totally hooked I hope we can get into some serious digging real soon.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]Very nice[/FONT]:thumbsup:

Goldirocks

Jan 12, 2007
Awesome buckle! That is something that I always wanted to try. I have a probe that I won at a hunt. But wouldn't know the first thing about digging a privy. Looks like alot of fun! Congrats.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful buckle Bill. I'm surprised you guys didn't get that much surface hunting - the place must have been hit before. You did get the biggest tack I have ever seen. If you get permission to dig that large trash pit, I think you may have a good chance at an intact bottle based on the size of the lip and neck sections you dug.

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice buckle. So many times you find the little teaser and wish it was whole. Nice finds...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread