Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Upvote 0

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Re: Got a $500 Bag of Dimes today.

coinmojo said:
From that bag I got 0 silver and when I ran them through my dump bank's counter and collected my proceeds I was left standing there holding $468.20 in cold hard cash. That's right, shorted $31.80 :icon_scratch:

I don't know why I keep trying those Dimes. :dontknow: :BangHead: :BangHead:

Mojo

That has happened to me before, that is why I stopped doing dimes shortly after I started. The machine would often count them as pennies.

Never had that problem with halves though.

Jim

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle

Shortage of 318 dimes!!!! Thats got to be some kind of record!!! I would be pretty :BangHead: :BangHead: too!

supn9

Oct 21, 2009

I got burned with the dimes one time too. What a waste. Found a few keepers, but still. That was my last time i will used coin machines. Ive been trying not to since it took a few halfs from me. And did the dimes, and lost some cash. Coin machines no more!

If its possible to dump them in rolls or bags. Then do it.

OP
OP
coinmojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan

The worse part is that I'm not sure it was the buy or the dump that shorted me. Allthough it did count 20 pennies. but thats not nearly 318.

I swore off the dimes for a couple of weeks but started to get hungry again. That'le lern me!!!

Mojo

OP
OP
coinmojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan

supn9 said:
I got burned with the dimes one time too. What a waste. Found a few keepers, but still. That was my last time i will used coin machines. Ive been trying not to since it took a few halfs from me. And did the dimes, and lost some cash. Coin machines no more!

If its possible to dump them in rolls or bags. Then do it.

I'm sorry, but for me and halves there is no way I'm rollin up anything. I'll take my chances. I would not do this if I had to roll the coin. But in small quantity's I suppose you can.

I happen to fall in a category of just below monster CRH'r LOL

Good luck on your ventures.

Mojo

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sorry to hear that you came up so short. It's only happened to me once with dimes and my bank made it up to me since it was 80.00 and they like me:).

My dime bags do sometimes come up a bit short but since I buy all of the cent and dime bags that come off the machine I typically make it up because the dimes wind up in the cent bags.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

waseeker said:
sorry to hear that you came up so short. It's only happened to me once with dimes and my bank made it up to me since it was 80.00 and they like me:).

My dime bags do sometimes come up a bit short but since I buy all of the cent and dime bags that come off the machine I typically make it up because the dimes wind up in the cent bags.
That's what I have seen, dimes counted as cents. I avoid the machine, I will not re-roll, unless it's a few rolls of halves which get spent at the gas station....I love/hate those dimes too, the only reason I hunt them is for the mercs, barbers, and early canadians.
Good luck with those dimes Mojo.

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250

i would take the reciept back to where you bought the dimes and say what the funk i payed 500 and got 468.20 yall owe me some money

RIcoinhunter

Nov 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2

31.80 that's alot!! I've been shorted on dimes too but never that much. >:(

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I took in 11 rolls of quarters ($110.00) and 2 rolls of dimes ($10) to my bank. In the past they have taken hand rolled coins but this time they unwrapped them and ran them through the coin counter. The final tally was $110 in quarters and $3.10 in dimes. That's right, $3.10 in dimes. I immediately spoke to the manager who said there is nothing they can do about it because the coins had already been put into a larger bag. I told him I have been an account holder since I was 7 years old and that I would pull my money from this bank in a heartbeat if they don't give my money back. He insisted there was nothing he could do so I asked him how many other people have been screwed over like this and I bet the public would like to hear about this issue. His tone quickly changed and said he would fix the balance but *only* this time. I told him if I bring coins in and have a miscount I will make sure as many people as possible hear about this.

Since that happened I have taken in pennies, nickels and quarters and nothing was miscounted. Dimes seem to be the issue with many coin counters. I now roll up my dimes and take them to a different bank that doesn't have a coin counter.

-Codes

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If I am short in dimes its only usually a coin or two due to either pennies in the bag or junk or foreign. Usually if anything I always find I am over.

Last week for example, I did a $1000 bag of dimes and when I went to cash them in and the total was just shy of $1100. And another $500 bag from a different bank the other day had $513. And yet a third bank that has been $2-$5 over on the past few bags of $500.

For dimes I usually don't say anything unless it is at least $3 over or at least $2 over for more than one bag in a row as I am frequently shorted a couple coins. Usually the dime bag is the umm..."first to go"...as far as accuracy is concerned so usually I don't notice being off anywhere else. I have had to report overages a few times in the past as well and they always thank for being honest. I think doing so helps keep me on their good side so I can continue to buy bags.

I never complain about the shortages though if off by the same amounts I will tell them that as well as I think they need to be aware of it, but I never ask for a refund. However, when over I always offer to pay it back, though to date I have never been taken up on my offer. I suspect this ~$100 overage on dimes though may be my first time having to pay it back. And I haven't had a chance to say anything on the $13 overage yet so that may be a second. I'll try to remember to tell them next week.

qwerty

Sep 18, 2009

I got shorted by about $5 once, then I pounded on the top of the machine on the tray and heard a whole bunch of loose change fall. Then I wound up getting a couple extra dollars.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro

That is alright you make up for it on all the silver dollar finds.

golden silver

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania

i have been beat before on the dimes being counted as pennies. someone here awhile ago lost $50 in dimes at the TD bank. never lost that much and i certainly would have brought it to thier attention, but i wouldn't say anything for a few bucks because of the fear they may refuse to do business with me anymore because of the hassle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread