txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ordered some rocks for the kids to bust open, I figured this would be a great way to introduce them to rock hunting. The box was 20lbs and they are KY non rattler geodes. What does non rattler mean?

Anyhow the box comes in my husband sees it and asks what I ordered now that was so heavy, ofcourse I replied a "box of rocks". Not thinking that it was strange at all or the that it was a saying people used. I went about doing stuff and I guess my husband went around puzzled still at what was in the box. He finally returned to me and was hovering. He finally asked are you going to open the box? I said fine, and proceeded to open it and pull out a rock. He looked shooked his head and asked what the blank blank is that. I said its a rock, still he looked at me like I was dumb and started looking at other rocks that was in the box. I said..see I told you it was a box of rocks. He then wanted to know if I had lost it and why on Gods green earth would I buy a box of rocks. I told him, well because these came from KY. Needless to say that didn't help him one bit, and finally he gave up and went to watch TV. ;D

Attachments

• c9ce_1.jpg
    c9ce_1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 659
OP
OP
txkickergirl

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am thinking it means it does not rattle when you shake it, but I don't know of any rocks that rattle when you shake them so that guess might be kinda dumb.

Upvote 0

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Oh, tx......You are making me woozy(is that how you spell it?)

I have been wanting to get some Kentucky geodes for a while now. A rattling geode is a hollow geode that has a loose piece of rock inside.

He may also be saying that these geodes are solid ones as opposed to the kind that are hollow. The hollow ones are generally more desireable. However, there is a chance that the solid ones may contain some very nice colors of agate. The most sought after of them is "Imperial Agate". Kentucky Imperial Agate commands some very high prices. Imperial Agate geodes have deep reds and jet black areas or banding inside. In most cases you can't tell from the outside what it will be on the inside. I would not smash them open with a hammer or a nice geode will be reduced to rubble. If you can wait until you get a diamond saw or know someone that can cut them for you, you will be able to get your investment back if you choose too.

Good luck & can't wait to see what is inside of them.

Upvote 0
T

trish76642

pegleglooker said:

what does that mean?

I like your box of rocks girl...wished you could get them sliced i'd love to see what they look like on the inside, i bet you would be surprised and amazed at the same time. I would pay to see the look on your hubbys face if you ordered a rock saw and it came in the mail! LOL (go buy one girl :wink: :D)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
txkickergirl

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well I took a couple last night and tried to do it the correct way chisel and hammer, score around the rock hitting it 5 or 6 times and go around until a crack appears and it breaks into 2 even halves. Guess that method is for rattler geodes, because after 30 minutes it still would not budge. Went to the just smack it with the hammer method and let me tell you its a work out. I firmly believe that we should put prisoners back on chain gangs and have them bust rocks. Any way they broke open in a couple pieces not a half but for the most part intact. I will post some pics of the results. My little boy is over the moon because he loves bugs and rocks. I took him metal detecting with me at a gravel tot lot and came back with more rocks than finds. I hope he stays interested and goes into a career in science when he grows up.

Upvote 0
T

trish76642

txkickergirl said:
well I took a couple last night and tried to do it the correct way chisel and hammer, score around the rock hitting it 5 or 6 times and go around until a crack appears and it breaks into 2 even halves. Guess that method is for rattler geodes, because after 30 minutes it still would not budge. Went to the just smack it with the hammer method and let me tell you its a work out. I firmly believe that we should put prisoners back on chain gangs and have them bust rocks. Any way they broke open in a couple pieces not a half but for the most part intact. I will post some pics of the results. My little boy is over the moon because he loves bugs and rocks. I took him metal detecting with me at a gravel tot lot and came back with more rocks than finds. I hope he stays interested and goes into a career in science when he grows up.

Yeah...taking em out medal detecting is much better than sticking a video game in their hands... :thumbsup:
Your a good moma.

Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
txkickergirl said:

txkickergirl,
you may need a rock saw, which is $$$$$$

Don't know if it will work on your type of rocks, but.........

Try putting one in water, let it sit for a day and soak up
the water. Now place it in the freezer overnight,
or even better for a day or so.

Take out of freezer.
Let thaw and ;D
Check for any rupture in the rock and try to open.

May work.

have a good un.........
SHERMANVILLE

Upvote 0
OP
OP
txkickergirl

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow I will try that. I have a wet tile saw that just did not want to cut the rock, they are pretty solid, which by the way is what non rattler means. I will try the freezer method and let you know....can't wait to see hubbys face when he opens up the freezer. PS if you don't hear back again from me for weeks, please start calling local looney bins and someone break me out.

Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
txkickergirl said:
wow I will try that. I have a wet tile saw that just did not want to cut the rock, they are pretty solid, which by the way is what non rattler means. I will try the freezer method and let you know....can't wait to see hubbys face when he opens up the freezer. PS if you don't hear back again from me for weeks, please start calling local looney bins and someone break me out.

txkickergirl,
don't worry, most of them are very comfortable,
and you meet the most interesting folks. :wink: ;D

Hope it works for you.

have a good un..
SHERMANVILLE

Upvote 0

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
:D lol :D

I 've got boxes of rocks here, and bowls of rocks there, and vases of rock, and it goes on and on ::)
When I was a little kid we had coal furnace in the cellar. From the truck, the coal would come down the slide from the skinny window and fill up almost half the basement..........TONS of coal.......and i just KNEW? that there MIGHT? be a diamond in it. I swear I tried to pick thru it all....whenever it came.....but I had to be sneaky..... 'cuz it about drove my mother crazy. She'd be threatening me with black lung and bath/laundry
:icon_scratch:

Anyway >>>>>>>>>> rocks Rock :wink:

Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Ashleen,
thanks for the memories. ;D :thumbsup:

"we had coal furnace in the cellar. From the truck,
the coal would come down the slide from the skinny
window and fill up almost half the basement..........
TONS of coal......"

Dang skinny window. ;D

have a good un.................
SHERMANVILLE

Upvote 0
T

trish76642

txkickergirl said:

Lmao..yep that just might do it girl!

We'll come get cha! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
txkickergirl

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I felt like I went metal detecting today except I found treasure and only went to my mail box.

I can't thank Ashleen enough for the beautiful gems and goodies I loved everything. I will get a lot of use out of those books and I plan on starting tonight. I just can't say thank you enough.

but wait......................another box arrived today too

Bill thank you for the great stuff from Florida you sent. I really like the teeth I have been wanting some for awhile now and the coral is great. We don't have the cool shells and stuff at these beaches like you do.

I now official have begin a collection, yeah....

Here are some pics for the rest of you to show you what big hearts these folks here have. Its the coolest I swear

Upvote 0
OP
OP
txkickergirl

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting