mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a phone call from one of the banks that orders my halfs. She tells me that they are starting a new policy. They will charge $5 per box of coins that they order. Now do you want me to still order your boxes on Monday. I asked her even if I have a account there they would still charge me. She said yes going to charge everyone. I told her no thanks I will get someone else to order for me.

Now this is the 2nd bank here around me that has told me that they will start charging for boxes of coins. But the other bank told me if I had a account with them they would not charge a fee for the boxes. So I open a free checking account and I am still going to get some coins from them. I just may have to up my order on them in the next week or two. I don't want to push it to fast as they may start charging if I order to many.

I just hope the other banks around here don't follow suit. As I am in a smaller town area and I would really hate to drive 40 or 50 miles a couple times a week to get halfs.

Is anyone else having this problem where they are at....Matt

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats getting pretty common it seems. So far, I haven't had any problems whatsoever, or heard a peep about any fees.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mlayers said:
I got a phone call from one of the banks that orders my halfs. She tells me that they are starting a new policy. They will charge $5 per box of coins that they order. Now do you want me to still order your boxes on Monday. I asked her even if I have a account there they would still charge me. She said yes going to charge everyone. I told her no thanks I will get someone else to order for me.

Now this is the 2nd bank here around me that has told me that they will start charging for boxes of coins. But the other bank told me if I had a account with them they would not charge a fee for the boxes. So I open a free checking account and I am still going to get some coins from them. I just may have to up my order on them in the next week or two. I don't want to push it to fast as they may start charging if I order to many.

I just hope the other banks around here don't follow suit. As I am in a smaller town area and I would really hate to drive 40 or 50 miles a couple times a week to get halfs.

Is anyone else having this problem where they are at....Matt

The biggest thing is how many you order from the same place, Because When I order halves, I use 3 different locations,

And when I go pick up Dimes and Nicks and Cents, I always alternate banks..ALWAYS

I could see if they watch someone come in and order Tons of Coins a week, that they would want to charge you.

I personally go to 3 or 4 banks during my lunch break and on the way home, I never have a problem doing that. plus its all on the way. And ive had pretty good luck lately on dimes, and I dont even buy a whole box.

I think its better to sample different banks every once in awhile...But thats just me

Agro

Dec 13, 2010
Cali
with gas/time costs, the $5/box charge might be worth it if they'll let you dump there

OP
OP
mlayers

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea that is right with the price of gas and your time. But the last 6 boxes of halfs that I have gone thur all have been skunks. Plus the last 3 boxes of dimes I have done has been skunks also. Now if I was finding silver in every box I could see it but when I am living on paycheck to paycheck I can not see paiding $5 a box right now.....Matt

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mlayers said:
Yea that is right with the price of gas and your time. But the last 6 boxes of halfs that I have gone thur all have been skunks. Plus the last 3 boxes of dimes I have done has been skunks also. Now if I was finding silver in every box I could see it but when I am living on paycheck to paycheck I can not see paiding $5 a box right now.....Matt

Yea man, I know if they ever started charging me for coins.. I would be done with CRH. Its fun, but not worth spending that much money on something that unpredictable, Paying sorta takes the fun out of it...at least for me...Im a cheap MOFO :laughing9:

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
as I said in another post... banks are charging cause they dont wanna deal with the hassle... somewhere someone has ordered a bunch of coins from them.. so it is prolly a chain wide thing..... if I were the bank and had someone ordering the 4-20 boxes I see people on here ordering of halves a week.. I wouldnt do it..... the hassle and the fees some of them pay....just my humble opinion

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Where i live in westchester NY there are alot of banks. The funny part is the only bank that wants to charge me is the one i have most of my money and have been with for 30 years. Please note that at any bank i only order 1 box every 1-2 months.

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I am ordering the same amount quick..I order from the bank that I have been with that long and has my mortgage... I know they wont cancel my accounts... and I have a wonderful relationship with the head teller and most employees there... I even take halves others bring in there off their hands so they dont hafta send back... so they order me when I want halves and even save things for me...

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
mlayers said:

Your area seems really tough for CRHing. I remember that you mentioned that even dime boxes were tough.

Do they charge for dime boxes too or just halves?

Daniel964

Jan 25, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
The bank I get halfs from orders 6 boxes for me every week. They know what I do and are interested in weather I find anything or not. I've even got halfs from their trays that I can see are silver from where I'm standing and they are happy to sell them to me knowing what they are.

I may be lucky that I have a mortgage their. A rather large savings and an IRA.

OP
OP
mlayers

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[ Do they charge for dime boxes too or just halves?
[/quote]

They just called and told me that they was going to charge $5 for a box of coins.....Matt

spjegues

Apr 22, 2010
ID, UT, NV
I was talking a to head vault teller last week and she said this is one of their strategy's to get people to stop ordering coins. She had someone ordering huge amounts of penny's from them - (2009 penny's for resell) and the auditing department caught wind of it and they came up with the charge to purchase coin policy. They said once they told the person they would charge they stopped ordering. Note- I still order with no fees as I have a good relationship with them and they know what I am doing. I try to never order more that $2000 at a time across all coin totals.

spjegues

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Wow...$5 a box?

I've just been trough 12 skunk boxes in a row, not counting the 2 to 4 rolls of dimes I pick up every few days, which have been skunks too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread