Got a call to come buy some coins...

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I ended up wasting a bunch of my time. And I was not happy about how this transaction went at all!! Went to a lady's house who I met at a yard sale last weekend this is what she had: a poor 1878 Morgan, 3-90% halfs, 4-40% halfs, 7-1944 dimes, 1-1964 quarter, and a good maybe 1917 $2 bill. Offered $110 for all. I think there was a couple Canadian silver quarters and dimes but I really didn't even want them. She counters me $120. And she said she had more, but she needed to sell these now... I say ok, hoping to get the rest of them next time... She comes back and says this is all you will pay?? I have another offer higher then this for these!!

I instantly thought, no way! So I just told her, if you have a higher offer, that I need the guys number to sell him all mine! I hope she never calls back!

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on the coindition of the $2 bill, you offered her all of the money for that lot. I probably would have been around $100 (depending on how much Canadian silver there was). Some people will just waste your time! Personally I would start at $90 or $100 and when she counters at $120 you can meet her somewhere in the middle. In that type of setting just coming right out with your best price can backfire. I try my best to get the seller to tel me what they expect out of the lot and negotiate from there!

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on the coindition of the $2 bill, you offered her all of the money for that lot. I probably would have been around $100 (depending on how much Canadian silver there was). Some people will just waste your time! Personally I would start at $90 or $100 and when she counters at $120 you can meet her somewhere in the middle. In that type of setting just coming right out with your best price can backfire. I try my best to get the seller to tel me what they expect out of the lot and negotiate from there!

Ya, in this instance, I'm glad I didn't spend the $. There will be more, kinda annoying she had more buyers lined up... Guess trying to get the most bang for her buck!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I have wasted my time on many occasions in hopes of getting some decent coins at fair prices but it never seems to work out. You go to meet the person who says that they have no idea as to what the coins are worth over the phone, only to find out when you get there that they have looked up every coin via PCGS' Price Guide and based on MS prices, they think they have struck it rich . However, most of the coins are in Good to possibly Fine condition with many of them having been cleaned and some even polished. You point this out and that their' coins are not as valuable as the MS coins that they looked up on PCGS' website but they won't hear any of it. They think you are trying to scam them. These folks will eventually take their' coins to a Coin Dealer and get shafted even worse.

Frank

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She called back, saying she would take the $110. I guess she forgot the $120 amount. Then I get there and she found a couple others and threw them in with it. Not thrilling, but here are the better of them

image-1644954282.jpg

image-1060742360.jpg

image-2331940567.jpg

There is a Morgan dollar to half-dollars and six silver Canadian quarters in the car trunk still.

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well then you did rather well for $110. The 1864 two cent is worth $30 on its own, and the $2 bill is worth about $50-$70. Then there's the silver at whatever melt is. And then the large cents at about $3 each and the three cent at about $2.

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one of those little Canadian nickels and mines worth $190 in Au to Unc condition. And anyway, I'd pay more like five dollars each for the large cents and the 3 cent piece.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one of those little Canadian nickels and mines worth $190 in Au to Unc condition. And anyway, I'd pay more like five dollars each for the large cents and the 3 cent piece.

Those 5 cent nickels are usually a great find! No one knows what they are, most people can't read the dates... I sold one a couple yrs ago for over $200! And have some more in the sdb worth near $100 +. A lot of people from Canada moved to where I live , so we find them often. My neighbor played in the NHL in Canada, he said he will buy all Canadian coins i find from now on!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread