Got a couple of mint NIFC rolls

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
One of my banks said they had some rolls of halves. When I got there I saw a few of them were US mint 2006 D half dollar rolls.

Are these worth anything since they are in the mint roll? For some reason, the end coins have a slight gold color to them (some kind of toning??). I tore one roll open out of curiosity due to the color, and all the inside ones were the right shade like they should be.

I have never seen clad halves change color like that. Kind of weird.

Jim

Upvote 0

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
jim4silver said:
One of my banks said they had some rolls of halves. When I got there I saw a few of them were US mint 2006 D half dollar rolls.

Are these worth anything since they are in the mint roll? For some reason, the end coins have a slight gold color to them (some kind of toning??). I tore one roll open out of curiosity due to the color, and all the inside ones were the right shade like they should be.

Jim

The mint has guard dogs that at times patrol the vault. That's probably the cause of the yellow toning
Rich :laughing7:

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Jim,
I got five rolls of the mint rolled Nifc's at a bank about a month ago. The roll paper was
blue with US Mint on them. I got (1) 2009D... (2) 2009P...(2) 2003P. I'm going to hang
onto them. I wonder how they got to the bank?
rileyboy

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
rileyboy said:
Jim,
I got five rolls of the mint rolled Nifc's at a bank about a month ago. The roll paper was
blue with US Mint on them. I got (1) 2009D... (2) 2009P...(2) 2003P. I'm going to hang
onto them. I wonder how they got to the bank?
rileyboy

Rileyboy,

All the NIFCs were sold by the mint either in big bags of coins or rolls. My guess is that somebody got them as a gift and decided they didn't want them any longer, or the original owner died and whoever found them cashed them in. They are sold for more than face value by the mint, so I doubt the original buyer of the rolls would cash them in at face value, unless they got real desperate.

Rich Hartford said:
jim4silver said:

Jim

The mint has guard dogs that at times patrol the vault. That's probably the cause of the yellow toning
Rich :laughing7:

I wonder if that will affect the MS status of the coins should they be graded? ;D

Jim

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I found a 2006 set and sold them on eBay for $39. They were toned on the ends as well. I would guess they won't fetch a premium once they are open.

Joad

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got two rolls last week, but no toning on the ends. Here is a picture of them.

Attachments

• IMG_8834.JPG
    IMG_8834.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 209

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
I just posted a photo of 5 more US mint rolls I got today. That makes
a total of ten rolls in the last week. Different banks and slightly different
area. Wonder what's going on with them. I plan to keep them as they
are all nifc's.
Rileyboy

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
rileyboy said:
I just posted a photo of 5 more US mint rolls I got today. That makes
a total of ten rolls in the last week. Different banks and slightly different
area. Wonder what's going on with them. I plan to keep them as they
are all nifc's.
Rileyboy

I kept one roll and cashed in the other two. I don't want to try and sell on ebay and my local dealers won't pay anything over face for them.

I once had rolls and rolls of NIFCs that were in perfect looking condition I got out of boxes of halves over time (not in original mint rolls). Eventually I got sick of saving them and cashed all but one specimen of each. I don't see much of a market for them outside of ebay for anytime in the near future.

I still keep all my really nice 1987 coins, why I don't know.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread