Got a KG II, some nice buckles and other colonial goodies today.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, my old site I hit again early this week had still not been planted as of last evening so I invited my good bud Dan to join me to give it one last shot for the season. We got a little late start, but the weather was gorgeous with temps in the 70s and a nice northerly breeze. After I pointed out all the hotspots we each did our own thing and wandered from one section of the field to another. It was a slow start as it always seems to be, but a few finds finally started showing up here and there. We definitely worked for what we came home with, but were pleased with the outcome considering this site has been pounded by yours truly. My best find came near the end of the half day hunt as I scrounged out a nice KG copper in an unsuspecting area - in the narrow 4 ft wide grassy strip between the field and the lane. And it was only 2-3" deep. I also recovered a complete 1600s spectacle buckle, and some other nice 18th century buckle pieces. I also got a few buttons, leather ornaments and some other odds and ends including parts from a brass candlestick holder, but it was Dan who made the find of the day. I'll save that for him to post, but I will say it was pretty incredible the way it happened. Had a ball Dan, and will be looking forward to hitting all those new sites in the fall.

Attachments

• 052314a.JPG
    052314a.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 103
  • 052314b.JPG
    052314b.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 052314d.JPG
    052314d.JPG
    220.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 052314e.JPG
    052314e.JPG
    211.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 052314h.JPG
    052314h.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 052314i.JPG
    052314i.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 123
  • 052314j.JPG
    052314j.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 101
Upvote 12

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Nice KG Bill, the coins sure look nice out of there. Glad you squeezed in another hunt.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Bill. I can't quite make out the candle stick holder piece...was that the base?

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
That's a beauty of a copper, Bill. Nice that you were able to get another hunt in. Best of luck.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds Bill. I can't quite make out the candle stick holder piece...was that the base?

Joey - it was the part of the base known as the "node". Check out the pic below.

candlestick parts.jpg

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As always, Bill, I love to see what you find on your hunts. I envy you the part of the country you get to enjoy with so much history and age.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some really nice pieces there Bill, love that spectacle buckle.
ZDD

blugotti1

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2009
GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds Bill!!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill I always enjoy your posts and love some of those buckle pieces. The KG is in fairly nice shape. Hope you get a couple more in before you hang it up for real :-)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff Bill! Can't wait to read Dan's post too. The KG is a nice greenie, and the spectacle buckle is excellent. It's funny how there's always something left to dig. We hit our sites here so hard it's really tough to make a good find, but we have a natural grid to work with (the cane rows). :)

Congrats,

Buck

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, as always i had a blast. You have had a good run at that site and I am glad you shared it - something tells me that there will be better finds made there next year.

Now get to paddling!

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One last shot, one final shot before the summer, one last final shot... Manage just a few more trips and you'll be back to the fall season soon enough. Congrats on the small 1600's buckle. Always a great find when you get them whole!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Great stuff Bill! Can't wait to read Dan's post too. The KG is a nice greenie, and the spectacle buckle is excellent. It's funny how there's always something left to dig. We hit our sites here so hard it's really tough to make a good find, but we have a natural grid to work with (the cane rows). :)

Congrats,

Buck

Yeah, you can never get it all Buck. I think I actually prefer corn or cotton fields as opposed to the soybeans at this site. You just can't get your coil right on the ground anywhere. But with the others you have wide, open rows where you can scrub the dirt although the stalks keep you from hunting 20% of the site. Our favorite, though, is a harvested peanut field. The ground gets turned deeply during harvest and your left with a flat, clean field with no stubble. So not only can you swing freely throughout the entire field but you can easily eyeball pottery, brick, etc. Doesn't get any better than that.

DigginDownUnder

May 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool finds! And you do a great job getting them clean.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice recoveries Bill. Love the spectacle buckle and the King George. I have dug several fragments of those buckles like your one with the wide frame. At first I thought they were shoe buckles, but I have begun to wonder if they are not some type of sash buckle.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice recoveries Bill. Love the spectacle buckle and the King George. I have dug several fragments of those buckles like your one with the wide frame. At first I thought they were shoe buckles, but I have begun to wonder if they are not some type of sash buckle.

Steve - those large buckles are not that uncommon around here. I believe Dan dug one of those last year too. But I can't seem to find any reference to those style buckles in any of my books or online. But I agree with you that its very likely a sash buckle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions