pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Posted this in the wrong section and now the computer isn't doing what I want and I lost the details of the hunt. So I'll try it again. Got out for a short hunt on Sunday and I think I got a Vermont Copper out of an uncut hay field between the house and the barns at a permission that has given up some nice finds last year. Haven't had time or the weather this past summer hasn't been detecting conditions because of the drought, but the recent wet weather has fixed all that and turned the soils soft again. I dug a crusty small cent and a silver washed flat button from the worked field and moved the hay field. The grass is really too high to get any small signals as the coil is the ground to the point where it's just large iron and can slaw that come through. So I was tickled to get on the first signal a nice crisp copper sound and digging out a thin copper. I think it's a Vermont Copper and digging it up here so far away from it's original home is kind of cool. :icon_thumright: P1020307.JPG IMG_20161023_152023423.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 26
OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Still looking for my 1st VT.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks everyone for the kind replies, having an issue with posting off the home computer for some reason. It's cool to dig a copper as this one up here in SE Ontario. There is some history indicating that a family from VT ran the iron works in a nearby town 8.5 miles away from this site. Like to think that this might explain why the copper made it's way over to here.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I knew you had found something special when you first emailed me these pics buddy! :occasion14:
As I mentioned in the email, it's a good thing that you found this Vermont Copper when you did, because I don't think it would've survived another 50 years in the soil.

Hopefully we can get together for another hunt in the next couple of weeks before the snow arrives for good. :laughing7:

Dave

Attachments

• P1020302-crop.JPG
    P1020302-crop.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 45
  • P1020307-crop.JPG
    P1020307-crop.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 41
  • P1020303-crop.JPG
    P1020303-crop.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 38

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice old copper!!

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I knew you had found something special when you first emailed me these pics buddy! :occasion14:
As I mentioned in the email, it's a good thing that you found this Vermont Copper when you did, because I don't think it would've survived another 50 years in the soil.

Hopefully we can get together for another hunt in the next couple of weeks before the snow arrives for good. :laughing7:

Dave

Thanks Dave, I hope that you can get the time to do a little bit of detecting when you make it down this way. If anything else you can get a bucket of iron dug from of these sites. Cool relics pop up pretty often so it's fun. Talk with you soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread