Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

Bgonleif

Nov 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes there are tons of old gold mines around mt shasta but no one locally speaking are interested in any of the local minerals nor is anybody willing to attest to somebody actually having gold. I've even gone into local jeweler / mineral shops and they are not truthful whatsoever about gold. I know that I have found and have gold in concentrates but to repurpose into one button or separate out other minerals is quite an impossible task without any money. But on another note I have collected minerals for a solid year if not longer as well as have past experience in Northern California alluvial Jade hunting on a private claim. So, this is not a new experience for me nor something extraneous, but something enjoyable for filling and quite a challenge which I am needing in my life. Although not needing the financial distress I am under, although life is full of that. As for doing actual reading and literature I have been able to acquire quite a bit on minerals and mineral ization. It's quite hard to find anything with distinguishable pictures or that matchup, it doesn't seem as though there is much localized, literature, people who are willing to talk about or show anything. So I have done all of this on my own understanding and enjoyment of gems and minerals. As for Cinnabar I did not believe Cinnabar to be in that specific gravity range but have not yet looked into it will do so this evening

Attachments

• 20180506_143722.jpg
    20180506_143722.jpg
    672.8 KB · Views: 70

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes there are tons of old gold mines around mt shasta but no one locally speaking are interested in any of the local minerals nor is anybody willing to attest to somebody actually having gold. I've even gone into local jeweler / mineral shops and they are not truthful whatsoever about gold. I know that I have found and have gold in concentrates but to repurpose into one button or separate out other minerals is quite an impossible task without any money. But on another note I have collected minerals for a solid year if not longer as well as have past experience in Northern California alluvial Jade hunting on a private claim. So, this is not a new experience for me nor something extraneous, but something enjoyable for filling and quite a challenge which I am needing in my life. Although not needing the financial distress I am under, although life is full of that. As for doing actual reading and literature I have been able to acquire quite a bit on minerals and mineral ization. It's quite hard to find anything with distinguishable pictures or that matchup, it doesn't seem as though there is much localized, literature, people who are willing to talk about or show anything. So I have done all of this on my own understanding and enjoyment of gems and minerals. As for Cinnabar I did not believe Cinnabar to be in that specific gravity range but have not yet looked into it will do so this evening

Actually, extracting and selling gold is easier. Use a pan to pan out the gold from the cons.
If you really wanted, you could probably do a make-shift furnace out of clay and rocks. To smelt it, then sell to a refiner.

You are right about pictures in literature. Because it's not really helpful; a lot of minerals vary in terms of look.
The fundamentals are much more important; such as hardness testing and streak testing. Looking for cleavage, etc.

Regarding cinnabar: That was a reply to someone else. :)

Your specimen is quartz, including a couple of crystals.

Dylanm23

May 9, 2018
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was doing some gold prospecting around the feather river in CA known for some nice nuggets, well we had very little time I got a few flakes. While I was stumbling around on the large boulders I noticed a large boulder of granite (pretty common in the area) but is was split directly in half, kinda like a giant egg. It was split along a quartz vein, I found it weird that the granite had quartz flowing through it. But anyways I got to looking closer and noticed small pockets along the quartz vein of what looked like copper with its green oxide, As well as what seemed to be silver in separate pockets. These pockets were all spread throughout the quartz vein. I didn't have anything to confirm what the substances were but I was hoping that you could help me identify them a little better. Here are the pictures! (ignore the dates, I forgot to turn them off) https://drive.google.com/open?id=14G...yR6bVH2GKOGNxn

Thanks,
Dylan

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was doing some gold prospecting around the feather river in CA known for some nice nuggets, well we had very little time I got a few flakes. While I was stumbling around on the large boulders I noticed a large boulder of granite (pretty common in the area) but is was split directly in half, kinda like a giant egg. It was split along a quartz vein, I found it weird that the granite had quartz flowing through it. But anyways I got to looking closer and noticed small pockets along the quartz vein of what looked like copper with its green oxide, As well as what seemed to be silver in separate pockets. These pockets were all spread throughout the quartz vein. I didn't have anything to confirm what the substances were but I was hoping that you could help me identify them a little better. Here are the pictures! (ignore the dates, I forgot to turn them off) https://drive.google.com/open?id=14G...yR6bVH2GKOGNxn

Thanks,
Dylan

Add the picture(s) here, i got a error 404.

Sagverk

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this in moraine that I was digging into yesterday. Outer layer is clay as far as I know, pretty hard too.
had to use a steel brush to scrape it off, gets harder and harder further in toward the middle. cracked it in two to see.
Anyone that might enlighten a unknowing soul? 20180511_065717.jpg 20180511_065714.jpg

605dano

Nov 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Purple Mineral in Quartz

Can anyone tell me what the purplish mineral is in this quartz? Magnesium maybe?

Attachments

• reddish purple 001.JPG
    reddish purple 001.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 62
  • reddish purple 004.JPG
    reddish purple 004.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 62

Dylanm23

May 9, 2018
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, when I first tried to upload them it didn't work... here you go.
DSC04018.jpg DSC04019.jpg
DSC04020.jpg DSC04021.jpg
DSC04022.jpg DSC04023.jpg
DSC04025.jpg DSC04026.jpg

Last edited:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found this in moraine that I was digging into yesterday. Outer layer is clay as far as I know, pretty hard too.
had to use a steel brush to scrape it off, gets harder and harder further in toward the middle. cracked it in two to see.
Anyone that might enlighten a unknowing soul? View attachment 1588826 View attachment 1588827

Now, that's an odd one. Will a knife scratch the black stuff?

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can anyone tell me what the purplish mineral is in this quartz? Magnesium maybe?

Honestly, the resolution isn't good enough to tell. Could be something staining the quartz?

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Perfect, thanks. Looks like the host rock is a pegmatite. Some of the "flaky" stuff could be Mica.
Not sure on the green stuff, looks off to be copper IMO. Fuchsite?

Pegmatite is known to be able to accompany some odd minerals. I'd try and get a few samples to test and identify at home.
Also, track it upstream, maybe you can find it's source. There's the potential of crystals/specimens here.

Traceejean

Mar 28, 2018
Big pine ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don’t know if this is the right forum but wanted to know if this was a rock or what I’ve had it sense last summer it’s been outside and kicked around inside ..it’s pretty heavy C0504C3D-67FC-4544-BA0A-26A3E49B752A.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread