Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

l337scum

Jun 25, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Pack
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

l337scum

Jun 25, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1109291 View attachment 1109291
Found this in Wayne County utah can anyone figure out what it is?!

Lichens and mold on some sort of solid matter. I am not even sure that is a rock underneath all that. I would clean all that junk off and then break it open to see what structure of rock you have. I cant tell if the structures in the picture are mold or rock.

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rsz_rock_002.JPG rsz_rock_005.JPG looks kinda like a fossil rock but I am not sure

Last edited:

l337scum

Jun 25, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello, what is your opinion on this stone? I can see copper anything else? View attachment 1107840

It could also be a nickel based oxide and not copper. Green usually means copper or nickel oxides of some sort. Try a streak test on that green portion. If it shows light green it is copper based malachite. If it shows brownish black, it is nickel oxide or Bunsenite. I am not sure what the lower portion of the rock is. Can you see if it is magnetic and/or what it streaks as also. I am thinking it is a nickel based mineral rather than copper. I am also seeing what looks like olivine small inclusions in it. Do you have a higher res picture of it?

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tree!

Jan 16, 2013
Inland Empire, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I believe these are Jasper and Chalcedony, can anyone confirm these? Or possibly a variety of Jade???

Attachments

• image-926311463.jpg
    image-926311463.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 78
  • image-4152925333.jpg
    image-4152925333.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 75
  • image-2873281428.jpg
    image-2873281428.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 79
  • image-3254618804.jpg
    image-3254618804.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 74

l337scum

Jun 25, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Iron oxides?

I think he means the black staining on this rock. Try scrubbing it with a brush in water first to see if any of that comes off. If it doesn't you can try some Iron Out or something like that to remove iron staining.

l337scum

Jun 25, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I believe these are Jasper and Chalcedony, can anyone confirm these? Or possibly a variety of Jade???

These rocks all look like chert to me which includes chalcendony as a specific type of chert. The conchoidal uneven fractures give it away. Jade(Nephrite or Jadite) does not fracture this way. It will fracture in splinters or granularity. I am going with Chalcedony.

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found a quartz outcropping in a couple places on a seasonal brook bank. It's super crumbly and fractured. I know it's quartz, but I'd like more info the other minerals in it, particularly the green one. There is a TON of what I believe to be mica in it, it makes the little brook sparkle and now I know where it's coming from. Is this leave-erite quartz or does it have gold potential?

This is all from the same spot. The first four pics are the same rock:
rock6.jpg rock3.jpg rock5.jpg rock7.jpg rock1.jpg

l337scum

Jun 25, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's heavy and sticks to a magnet. I've got several of these some without quartz. I'm thinking magnetite. Should I crush and pan them? P.S. Thanks for the replies and I apologize for the blurry pics.

Hmm, I know there is gold in Ga but I do not think it will be in that type of rock. From what I can tell it seems like you would want to look for quartz veins in granite or diorite for a good chance at gold in Ga. If you live in the counties mentioned in that article, it may be worth looking for those types of formation with mica schist at the contact points between the granite and diorite.

l337scum

Jun 25, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found a quartz outcropping in a couple places on a seasonal brook bank. It's super crumbly and fractured. I know it's quartz, but I'd like more info the other minerals in it, particularly the green one. There is a TON of what I believe to be mica in it, it makes the little brook sparkle and now I know where it's coming from. Is this leave-erite quartz or does it have gold potential?

View attachment 1111197 View attachment 1111198 View attachment 1111199 View attachment 1111200 View attachment 1111201

The last picture contains Biotite in the darker portions and this is likely the source of the sparkles in the riverbed as it is black mica. The green is likely due to this being a chlorite schist and or serpentine that is hosting this vein of quartz with biotite crystals.

The picture View attachment 1111198 has some very interesting features. Particularly the far right side of the picture where there appears to be a bleb of actual gold and some other sulfides below and slightly to the left. I cant tell for sure but zooming into the picture it seems like there is chalcopyrite, pyrite and maybe arsenopyrite in that inner sparkle there. The outer one I would looks really promising but it could be the lighting of that picture. I also like the iron oxide staining all over this rock in the cracks and microfractures. I would say this one is very interesting and I recommend you assay it. Especially if that outer portion does not shatter when you poke it or fall apart. If you can scratch it and it bends, this is a very good sign.

Good luck and I hope this is a runner!

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other

View attachment 1111197 View attachment 1111198 View attachment 1111199 View attachment 1111200 View attachment 1111201

The green is likely Epidote. Chlorite and Actinolite are other possibilities. Looks like you could potentially be close to some pegmatite zones. :thumbsup:

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's heavy and sticks to a magnet. I've got several of these some without quartz. I'm thinking magnetite. Should I crush and pan them? P.S. Thanks for the replies and I apologize for the blurry pics.

From the picture it really looks like pegmatite (quartz, feldspar, biotite with schrol which is black tourmaline) however since you say the black is magnetic the black portion must be magnetite.

ELEXASTAR

Tenderfoot
Jan 28, 2015
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I found these rocks around Tonopah, Az. I'm sure they are a type of chalcedony? There are a few that are fairly clear and pink. Any info on these would be great. Thank you!! 0125151610-1.jpg 0126150919a.jpg

scoy

Aug 25, 2014
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just posted picts of a couple rocks from my claim in another section Can I move them here for you to ID?

Attachments

• 20150128_061349_resized.jpg
    20150128_061349_resized.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 20150128_061212_resized.jpg
    20150128_061212_resized.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 20150128_061319_resized.jpg
    20150128_061319_resized.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 20150128_061129_resized.jpg
    20150128_061129_resized.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 20150128_061223_resized_1.jpg
    20150128_061223_resized_1.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 77

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The last picture contains Biotite in the darker portions and this is likely the source of the sparkles in the riverbed as it is black mica. The green is likely due to this being a chlorite schist and or serpentine that is hosting this vein of quartz with biotite crystals.

The picture View attachment 1111198 has some very interesting features. Particularly the far right side of the picture where there appears to be a bleb of actual gold and some other sulfides below and slightly to the left. I cant tell for sure but zooming into the picture it seems like there is chalcopyrite, pyrite and maybe arsenopyrite in that inner sparkle there. The outer one I would looks really promising but it could be the lighting of that picture. I also like the iron oxide staining all over this rock in the cracks and microfractures. I would say this one is very interesting and I recommend you assay it. Especially if that outer portion does not shatter when you poke it or fall apart. If you can scratch it and it bends, this is a very good sign.

Thank you guys! I took a finishing nail to the golden sections.... and it's not gold. It all flakes off like mica. Bummer! I'm going to take a photo of the deposit it came from. Is it so crumbly because it's decomposing? Should I break this rock up into smaller pieces and take a peeksy at it the inside?

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Thank you guys! I took a finishing nail to the golden sections.... and it's not gold. It all flakes off like mica. Bummer! I'm going to take a photo of the deposit it came from. Is it so crumbly because it's decomposing? Should I break this rock up into smaller pieces and take a peeksy at it the inside?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread