Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ugh not able to post to the rocks themselves,, have to figure out the app....

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Serpentine, I've worked with similar material from Afghanistan.

I would actually say petrified wood , with a heavy mineralization, I've found copper, pyrite, opal and other iron mineralizations, causing the same coloration, with spesertine it would come apart in very fiberous sheaths, and would also be very soft.

akajam

Sep 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great thread! What can you tell me about these? They are from a hillside in Newman Lake, WA. According to my research this is in the Coeur d'Alene area of the Belts Supergroup, which is noted for its quartzite. In particular, the CDA area is noted for a glassy vitreous quartzite. And invisibly fine gold is often found in quartzite. That's all I know, and I don't know if it's right or wrong. The rocks are float, tumbling down the hillside - I haven't found the source yet. Many of them are entirely crystallized, but those that have clustered terminations are stubby and covered in something that looks powdery, but nothing removes the "powder" (not oxalic acid or muriatic acid or sandblasting or water blasting or scrubbing with brass brushes). The white rocks were simmered for days in oxalic acid, then soaked for a few weeks in muriatic acid, trying to make them pretty, but nothing really cleans them up.

So, what can you tell me about these? And might they have that elusive, invisibly fine gold? And how could I tell? And then how could I get it out?

Thanks!!

CM rocks 07.jpg CM rocks 01.jpg CM rocks 02.jpg CM rocks 09.jpg CM rocks 24.jpg CM rocks 26.jpg

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great thread! What can you tell me about these? They are from a hillside in Newman Lake, WA. According to my research this is in the Coeur d'Alene area of the Belts Supergroup, which is noted for its quartzite. In particular, the CDA area is noted for a glassy vitreous quartzite. And invisibly fine gold is often found in quartzite. That's all I know, and I don't know if it's right or wrong. The rocks are float, tumbling down the hillside - I haven't found the source yet. Many of them are entirely crystallized, but those that have clustered terminations are stubby and covered in something that looks powdery, but nothing removes the "powder" (not oxalic acid or muriatic acid or sandblasting or water blasting or scrubbing with brass brushes). The white rocks were simmered for days in oxalic acid, then soaked for a few weeks in muriatic acid, trying to make them pretty, but nothing really cleans them up.

So, what can you tell me about these? And might they have that elusive, invisibly fine gold? And how could I tell? And then how could I get it out?

Thanks!!

View attachment 1274299 View attachment 1274300 View attachment 1274301 View attachment 1274302 View attachment 1274303 View attachment 1274304

Druzy quartz with heavy iron mineralization, when your finding this look also for fluoride, lead,rhodalite and especially for pocketing. This will yield you the best specamines !

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Also if your looking for the holding will be within the fault that these formed in, depending on the fault I have found that once you start to see minerals that melt at colds temp aka (leadsilverore,copper,fluorite,Rhodalite ,feldspar) this is where you will find gold. Micro or not. An old mine I just visited had mountains of druzy quartz, yet the gold formed close to the lead and copper, 1 to 5 feet in from the face. And the gold is more than visible, it's dreamy. Good luck!

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lol and one last p.s. get a loop, a good loop will help you to find most micro gold, don't shy away from fools gold, it contains gold, and can be an amazing way to find a lode, and finally cleaning these rocks is hard, there hard. The black is molybdenum most likely and not much eats it. I suggest a tile saw for cutting them, a textile gun for cleaning them, and a loop for observation! All three should cost no more than 100$ and all three will be worth it.

akajam

Sep 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol and one last p.s. get a loop, a good loop will help you to find most micro gold, don't shy away from fools gold, it contains gold, and can be an amazing way to find a lode, and finally cleaning these rocks is hard, there hard. The black is molybdenum most likely and not much eats it. I suggest a tile saw for cutting them, a textile gun for cleaning them, and a loop for observation! All three should cost no more than 100$ and all three will be worth it.

Thanks so much! I'm excited about spring getting here - new exploration and excavation to be done!

So I can cut them with a tile saw? I don't need an expensive lapidary saw?

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would actually say petrified wood , with a heavy mineralization, I've found copper, pyrite, opal and other iron mineralizations, causing the same coloration, with spesertine it would come apart in very fiberous sheaths, and would also be very soft.

Correct - serpentine would be scratched with a knife. The Fiberous nature of the sheets are not always apparent to the naked eye.

serpentine seems more likely considering cleavage, colour and the fact that he sanded it - which would be easy with serpentines low hardness.

A hardness test might be in order.

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks so much! I'm excited about spring getting here - new exploration and excavation to be done!

So I can cut them with a tile saw? I don't need an expensive lapidary saw?

Ya harbor freights 30$ tile saw works beautifully, buying a Lapidary saw might come later..lol in my case it did, but the tile saw works the same way the blade is just a wee bit thicker.

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A lil creepy yes..lol

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
He's baaaacccckkkk!!!

Remember that rock I found you wanted to see inside of? I got bored and broke it open along the fissures.

Attachments

• pics 005 (480x640).jpg
    pics 005 (480x640).jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 06182014rock 008.jpg
    06182014rock 008.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 130
  • 06182014rock 001.jpg
    06182014rock 001.jpg
    704.9 KB · Views: 126
  • 06182014rock 002.jpg
    06182014rock 002.jpg
    686.4 KB · Views: 118
OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Omg, nice mineralization of that quartz there, so you bored the cracks? Ya i would look at the fissures but remember that the gold can pool throughout the quartz. Loop and sledge is the way m8! I would also concentrate any bad driver awarness (sledge in hand) toward the copper button area. In green.

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Or blue peacock there! Very nice!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sure looks like copper-minerals and god-knows-what. I hope there's a lot more of that where it came from. :)

OP
OP
Dustedyou

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok so I finally mounted my Trinitite from Trinity Site white sands missile range. Its glass from the first nuclear explosion. 0227161414a.jpg
Trinitite, also known as*atomsite*orAlamogordo glass, is the*glassy*residue left on the desert floor after the*plutonium-basedTrinity*nuclear bomb test*on July 16, 1945, near*Alamogordo,*New Mexico. The glass is primarily composed of*arkosic*sand composed of*quartz*grains and*feldspar*(bothmicrocline*and smaller amount of*plagioclasewith small amount of*calcite,*hornblende*andaugite*in a matrix of sandy*clay)[2]*that was melted by the atomic blast. It is usually a light green, although color can vary. It is mildly radioactive but safe to handle.[3][4][5]

In the late 1940s and early 1950s, samples were gathered and sold to*mineral collectorsas a*novelty. Traces of the material may be found at the Trinity Site today, although most of it was bulldozed and buried by the*United States Atomic Energy Commission*in 1953.[6]It is now illegal to take the remaining material from the site; however, material that was taken prior to this prohibition is still in the hands of collectors.

Attachments

• 0227161414a.jpg
    0227161414a.jpg
    602.1 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

llanolargo

Feb 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpeg
image.png
image.jpeg

Can someone help me identify this material??? It came from that hole on the picture,,, when i looked in there a bunchhhhh of flys where inside there where this material
Was, its not a rock and easily can be crushed... Any ideas?

llanolargo

Feb 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpeg

Also, i found alot of this rocks on a river next to the picture crater above, any ideas what kind of rock?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread