Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

TrueBlueL.

Oct 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20180728_192116.jpg
Grandfather gave me this rock, he got it from Mexico in a mountain road they were constructing

ChuckRouckhound

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2018
Detector(s) used
Eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FullSizeR_12.jpg FullSizeR_13.jpg FullSizeR_14.jpg
FullSizeR_15.jpg

Hello again, thank you for previous help I busted up previous rocks and got tiny amount of gold in the pan. Thanks again.

Here's one, metamorphic seems to be moved at sometime through some glacial action as it's quite smooth and flat. Has silvery flake like material, white mica? And crystal mineralization throughout the middle like a little sandwich! Interesting formation in the crystal like a winding staircase.

Love rocks thanks again, Found this close to Canadian manitoba Canada border.

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm having a bad night but this rock is magnetic. I found it among gravels and washed stones. I thought it to be magnetite. There is a flaw on one side so inside is coarse I need to take better photos. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533253919.895779.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533254015.505623.jpg

Hillbilly1

Aug 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New to the forum. Just curious about a rock I found in Missouri by a creek. The rock isn’t that unusual but there is a spot in the center I am very puzzled by.

81B0B4D3-C45E-45C4-8454-9C6170E150D1.jpeg

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Does anyone have an idea what kind of rock this is. It may be a petroglyph as well. I believe I can make out some markings. It’s about the size of a “forty”.

IMG_0754.JPG IMG_0755.JPG

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
New to the forum and fairly new to prospecting in general. Here is a picture of a sample I broke in half, one picture is with a flash and one without a flash. I pulled it out of an old mine I found in the western Uinta Mountains. I've searched every resource I can think of and can't find any information on the mine, so I'm unsure of what was being mined. The USGS reports only mention phosphate deposits in the general area. The mine isn't very big, the tunnel is only 40' - 50' long. Mostly I'm just trying to get up to speed on identifying rocks and minerals in the field and was wondering what some more experienced people thought of the sample.
Thanks!

Edit;
Going to take a guess based off the research I've done, please correct me if I'm wrong. I think the host rock is possibly a combination of chert and dolostone/dolomite rock. White calcite vein, the red is possibly iron rich chert/jasper?
I've also added two pictures of the roof/top of the mine, (at the back of the mine), is this layered calcite and hematite?
The sample was taken just below the 'roof' pictures, this part of the mine is very red, it actually stains my hands for a couple days after handling it. The sample itself felt much heavier than other rocks of the same size in the mine, mostly the reason I brought it back with me. Wasn't magnetic enough for a magnet to stick to it, metal detector didn't pick anything up in it (older White's MXT) I have attempted to crush and pan about half of the sample, don't have a rock crusher so was just trying to smash it up with a hammer, was actually pretty hard and more difficult to break up than I thought it would be. Some of the heavies are magnetic, most that are not magnetic have a dull silver metallic/glossy (not shiny) look to them.
USGS geological report says the area is mostly classic sedimentary and carbonate sedimentary.
Any input/thoughts would be greatly appreciated, I've certainly exhausted my knowledge and then some haha.

Hello,
take the below with a grain of salt. My sedimentary rock skills aren't quite as sharp as they used to be.

I'd take anything "waxy" in luster and attempt to scratch it with knife. Scratch probably = Carbonate.
No scratch = Chert.

Because my knowledge on sedimentary rocks is so rusty, I'll just mention there's some nice faulting going on in that pic.
Which may warrant a keen, curios eye. However, I'd not expect as much gold as I'd expect base-metals.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1618050 View attachment 1618051 View attachment 1618052
View attachment 1618053

Hello again, thank you for previous help I busted up previous rocks and got tiny amount of gold in the pan. Thanks again.

Here's one, metamorphic seems to be moved at sometime through some glacial action as it's quite smooth and flat. Has silvery flake like material, white mica? And crystal mineralization throughout the middle like a little sandwich! Interesting formation in the crystal like a winding staircase.

Love rocks thanks again, Found this close to Canadian manitoba Canada border.

Hardness (knife) test and streak test.

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it could just be a magnet that came loose off of a piece of machinery and after tumbling around a wash plant for a long time it got out. It is magnetized one side stronger than the other. I don't have a clue but does have scratchy one side but not deep.

Aug 8, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you tell me what this is?

We found this rock in our backyard when we uncovered and dug out a 160yr old root cellar. It fell out from behind one of the walls. IMG_1037.JPG IMG_1037.JPG IMG_1035.JPG IMG_1038.JPG IMG_1038.JPG IMG_1046.JPG IMG_1046.JPG IMG_1049.JPG IMG_1051.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread