Got a solid lead!

courtjesterclown

Oct 7, 2010
Colorado/West Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic III, Ace 250, Bullseye 120
First prospective site!
I've recently picked up an interest in old U.S. silver coins and ways to get my hands on them. Started out coin roll hunting and have also stumbled upon metal detecting. Been lurking here for quite a while doing research. So anyways, i've been talking to my father back home in West Virginia about my new hobbies and he tells me a story (one that i remember him telling me from my childhood when we would drive by the place) about an old fellar who lived and died a single man without any family. Apparently he had a big mistrust of banks and was very cheap about spending his money. My father went on to tell me that the guy was so cheap that he only used water on his corn flakes. Additionally he told me he always suspected that the old man probably buried all of his money. When the man passed away back in the 60's, apparently other people had the same suspicions as they went in and tore down the old house looking for the money. It was never reported that any of the money was found. So anyways when i go back home for thanksgiving (currently living in Colorado) im gonna give it a try. I currently dont have a metal detector yet as it is quickly turning into winter here. However there is one at my parents house that my father borrowed from a friend to try and recover some tools that he lost in a hayfield. The detector is a Whites Classic 3 SL with the 950 blue max coil. Will this detector do the job for searching around an old homesite? And one more question, since the house or any buildings arent there anymore, is it going to be much more difficult in sizing the property up? as far as where the windows were, if there was an outhouse or chicken coop, stuff like that.

Prospective site #2!
I was talking with my grandfather about me doing some searching at the first site, and he said when i get done there that i should go to his farm and do some detecting. Apparently in the early 1900's there was a masonic temple on the farm. He went on to say that he and my grandmother have found a total of 3 masonic rings in plowing up their garden. Is there any value in old masonic items such as rings and buttons? and will the whites classic 3 do an ok job here as well? Thanks for all your help!

K

Kentucky Kache

I would think that any White's machine with a 950 coil would do the job nicely. Also, you might check your library, or historical society to see if there are any old photos of the place. Plat maps would also be helpful. You'll probably have to go the the courthouse or tax office for those.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: did you get any th'ing done over the holidays?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread