Got an AT Gold,Wish I had got an Xterra 705

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Deese said:
I have made a mistake,at gold is not for me.What frequency do you use for relic hunting on your xterra?

I just have to know....Why?

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assume the gold is similar to the pro. Had my doubts when we got the AT Pro but the more I use it the more I see how it can pick out the good targets amidst the trash. Give it time. HH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It isn't so much as the frequency as the size of the coil and the area. All metal mode is best to find relics since you won't miss anything.

OP
OP
D

Deese

Oct 24, 2008
Mebane,NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex,Vallon Gizmo,Deeptech Vista Smart,Nexus Coronado,AKA Sorex,Quest X10
Sandman said:
It isn't so much as the frequency as the size of the coil and the area. All metal mode is best to find relics since you won't miss anything.
Sandman! how you been man? I think I have it traded for an Xterra.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What did you not like? It's an excellent machine!

OP
OP
D

Deese

Oct 24, 2008
Mebane,NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex,Vallon Gizmo,Deeptech Vista Smart,Nexus Coronado,AKA Sorex,Quest X10
Bart@ Big Boys Hobbies said:
It must not be too excellent Bart,you wouldn't even offer to take it on trade on an xterra 705. Maybe its an excellent machine when you are making a profit from a sale.

OP
OP
D

Deese

Oct 24, 2008
Mebane,NC
Detector(s) used
Deese said:
It must not be too excellent Bart,you wouldn't even offer to take it on trade on an xterra 705. Maybe its an excellent machine when you are making a profit from a sale.
Sorry Bart,that was a little strong. I am just not a garrett fan.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Deese said:
Deese said:
Sorry Bart,that was a little strong. I am just not a garrett fan.
I think that there are a lot of the used AT Pro's out there for sale..... A lot. So i don't think that very many dealers wants the used ones right now................ I know if i was a dealer i would not want to have a lot of used AT Pro's in my stock............ I would be there to make money not lose money........

tmanly

May 28, 2010
Below is a honest review of the AT Gold. I copied from another post and respect the guy who did the review a lot.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

The first thing I noticed is the At-gold is on the new Garrett platform and by this I dont mean just the control box which is obvious... but the electronic's....It is very close to the AT-Pro when both are in disc mode....

One thing I wondered about with the At-Gold at first release was the way Garret's first video was done showing it park hunting ...I think they are trying to show that the At-Gold can do double duty...Sure they have videos now of it prospecting but they still drive home the double duty approach...

The sensitivity Of the AT-Gold to smaller low conductor object's even gold is not earth shattering but is acceptable....and maybe a little better on the micro small stuff than the At-pro..

The freq change from 15 on the Pro to 18 on the Gold exhibit's the closeness in performance..the gap only being 3KHz.......

When comparing the At-gold to the likes of the Gold Bug Pro .. the Gold bug is more sensitive to low conductor's even with the small coil on the Gold Bug it still can see object's like a size 6 thin gold lady's 14Kt band a good 4 inches further...So dont expect performance like the Gold Bug has for low conductor's....But the AT-Gols does do better on high conductor's when compared to the Gold Bug...Noticeably different....

The At-PRo is close to the At-Gold on low conductor's but is hotter on the high conductor's in any coil combo....Also in ground the AT_pro when in disc mode vs God Disc mode the At-Pro is deeper...

I actually like the At-Gold coil on the At-Pro...It' is a must have accessory coil...It bring's the At-Pro recovery speed closer to the T-2/F-75 recovery speed...( Thats how fast a T-2 Bi-Axial coil is...It takes a tightly wound small coil to get close to it in separation)
Very little depth is lost on the At-Pro with the small coil added....it's a serious coil for Trash.

Now on the all metal side of the Gold the threshold is fairly stable with lot's of adjustment to get it to a barely audible hum....it is very sensitive at the cost of I.D. as are all of the all metal mode machine's....the Iron audio I.d. does work in all metal but it only works closer to the coil the further away from the coil and no I.D. but in close the I.D works very well at I.D. iron...But for deep relic recovery it requires digging of iron target's like nails and such at depth till they get close enough for the I.d. to work.....I also noticed that the all metal mode is stronger on small object's at medium shallow to medium depth than it is to larger items at deeper layer's like 10-12 inch's...So the all metal mode side of the AT-Gold from what I can tell is aimed at the gold prospector looking for small gold which is what most gold left is....So they pretty much have it setup to dig it all till it can get an I.d. on it which is pretty close in some cases like nails..

If you want to coin/relic hunt the disc mode I.D.s iron deeper than the All metal mode does....

Again the all metal mode on the Gold Bug sees object's in all metal deeper than the At-Gold in all metal and I.D. meter on gold bug I.D.'s iron deeper than the iron id on the At-Gold...

The AT-Gold has a neat feature that allows the ground balance to cover a wide range...this will smooth out some of the problem's encountered with rapidly changing ground condition's.I am not sure what actually happens when the Ground Balance window as Garrett call's it is turned on?

It does smooth out some minerals you encounter when running the all metal threshold based mode....it has a setting from 0 which is normal to 6 I believe it is and at 6 it will eliminate most all hot rock's I hunted one area that it calmed down the machine a lot but some still broke through ....but it is very bad ground I was in...there are target's there being masked by dirt but the At-gold did not find any. that day...It takes a pulse machine to find thing's there so VLf's dont do very well in this spot....I would be careful with the higher ground balance window though because it does de-sensitize the machine at high level's...

I put the At-PRO large dd on the At-Gold and it ran perfectly fine but was not as deep in the dirt as the At-Pro but did like lower conductor's a tad better..and lacked on higher conductor's noticeably less than the AT-Pro....

I would prefer the the At-PRO for coin/relic hunting for depth and opt for the Small DD coil...

If I where after Gold and wanted to stay with the Garrett brand with the unique audio the AT-GOLD would be the choice ...Although I find other machine's are more sensitive when at or near the same freq....the one's I tried against it are the X-Terra 705 with 18.75 coil.....the Tejon,,,and the Gold Bug Pro....but they do not have the unique audio of the AT-Gold that helps a lot on helping I.D. iron that high freq machine's love....but it lack's over all horse power of my limited availablity to high freq machine's...

Me personally would much rather have the At-Pro for my hunting requirement's.....The AT-PRO just seems stronger to me overall...In dense iron the At-Gold has an affinity to false on iron a little more than the At-Pro also...but not much and to be truthful in dense iron they are about dead even where depth is not an issue but separation is...

just my take and also you may see thing's different in your soil. or hunting style and requirement's.

On a side note when the iron audio is activated in all metal mode you have to reset the iron disc to your liking...not sure if it's supposed to hold it in memory or not...but I would have to reset it after a power down?

over all it's a nice unit. well built...but more of a specialty detector...

Gold machine's on high freq's need boat loads of power to perform....

momule55

Nov 9, 2006
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra's The Great One's!!!
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Deese said:
I have made a mistake,at gold is not for me.What frequency do you use for relic hunting on your xterra?

You made a wise choice. I use the Xterra 70 & 705 JUST FOR RELIC HUNTING. Get the 10.5 DD coil in either frequency and you will get the deep bullets and buttons that the others have missed. Use 2 tone All Metal, trac on. Dig every signal that high tones 2 ways, no matter how faint the high tone. I have dug bullets & buttons at 12" or more with this combo

Attachments

• Deep .69 3 Ringer.jpg
    Deep .69 3 Ringer.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 737
  • Deep .69 3 Ringer.jpg
    Deep .69 3 Ringer.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 651

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome pic!!! Thanks for sharing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread