Got another storage unit

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son and I went to another storage auction. We really didn't have room for much more stuff so we went to just get a little more experience on how they work. One unit had just a few things in it so we decided to bid. We got the unit for $45. One of the items was a large, plastic tote. Inside the tote we found over 12,000 sports cards. We have only skimmed the surface as far as researching value but I'm sure we scored quite well. I'm VERY familiar with the card collecting world these days and the difficulty in making any money selling them but I'm sure we will be able to easily sell many of these cards. The unit also had a Delta brand pickup bed tool box that we figure we could sell for the $45 we spent bidding. Everything else is free. :)

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to go to some of the storage auctions. A real nice brother/sister team, kinda took me under their wing and taught me a few things, not much though really. Just have flashlights and locks. You gotta see into the back of the units and you wanna lock your stuff up with your lock, after you win the unit. He would buy units that had tool and power equipment in then and resell the stuff.
Keep us posted on ya'll's finds. I think storage wars would be a good sub-forum, like the ebay and dumpster diving subs.

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No particular era. For example, there is a 1960 Don Drysdale Topps card and a 1992 Bowman Mariano Rivera rookie card. Only see one graded card; it's a Bo Jackson rookie graded by BCCG at "9" (near mint or better)

DirtyHowi

Oct 6, 2006
somewhere in the middle of nowhere iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 Thank You Santa :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heck even at 1.00 each for the cards (i'd still look for the good ones) or even if you sold 20/1.00 of the common ones, that's 600 bucks right there. and that tool box probably worth more like 75-100. everything else is just gravy :)

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah dirty, that's how we were thinking. We figure that, if we sell the toolbox cheap enough, it will sell quickly and we would get our money back sooner. Same with the cards; if we sell them cheap enough, the sooner we are rid of them and money ahead. There was also a huge air matress in there that we haven't checked out yet. It's pretty heavy so probably a king size.

DirtyHowi

Oct 6, 2006
somewhere in the middle of nowhere iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 Thank You Santa :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
new those tool boxes are 300 and up, if its not beat up too bad and i was closer than the middle of the country i'd give ya 100 bucks happily, but would be 900 to ship it LOL.

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's one of those tool boxes that goes the length of the bed, not the width. It is shallower where it fits over the wheel well. It's in great shape.

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other
Been seeing where people are making coffee tables outta them toolboxes. The more beat up the better. Bolt some cheap legs or casters on it and maybe double-up your money

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have a auction to go to tomorrow. Hope I have good luck like yourself.

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been going through the cards a little more. So far I've found about a dozen cards with pieces of game jerseys in them. If you aren't familiar with it, what the card makers do is get pieces of jerseys or shoe laces and incorporate them into the cards. My favorite so far is a Randall Cobb rookie card with a yellow piece of jersey in it. (He's a Green Bay Packer). Also found some signed hockey cards. It appears that a majority of the cards are from 2007 with a lot of other years mixed in. This isn't the card I have but they look like this. The yellow square is the piece of jersey.
mUfblmbvjTtJJip0YZIzVXA.jpg

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son and I went to another storage auction. We really didn't have room for much more stuff so we went to just get a little more experience on how they work. One unit had just a few things in it so we decided to bid. We got the unit for $45. One of the items was a large, plastic tote. Inside the tote we found over 12,000 sports cards. We have only skimmed the surface as far as researching value but I'm sure we scored quite well. I'm VERY familiar with the card collecting world these days and the difficulty in making any money selling them but I'm sure we will be able to easily sell many of these cards. The unit also had a Delta brand pickup bed tool box that we figure we could sell for the $45 we spent bidding. Everything else is free. :)

Ya dun great!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions