Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got back into the 1700's yesterday

Yesterday I hit a cellar hole that I've known about for some time. I also know that it was hit multiple times by a couple other hunters who no longer have permission from the farmer. Supposedly a few coppers came out of this place. Fortunately, I am good friends with the farmers neighbor, and he secured permission for us to get on the farm. I hunted yesterday with the neighbor and his brother. These two are just getting started in metal detecting and I am trying to show them the ropes. I had to hunt hard and slow to find most of what I got yesterday, although a couple of signals were clear bell ringers. After the first two early buttons I dug, I said to the one brother "those other guys may have got all the coppers, but I am going pull a half real out of this place". Sure enough, a couple hours later I walked over to him with a clump of dirt that had an edge of small silver coin sticking out. I broke the clump open and handed him the half real that I had predicted. All in all it was a fun hunt on a nice spring day.

By the way, does anyone know what the small brass tube with the silver tip is?

Attachments

• 4-1-12 all dirty.jpg
    4-1-12 all dirty.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 4-1-12 all clean.jpg
    4-1-12 all clean.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 1775 half real.jpg
    1775 half real.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 100
  • Flower button.jpg
    Flower button.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 94
  • Suspender.jpg
    Suspender.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 90
  • UFO.jpg
    UFO.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Upvote 2
Hey Steve , interesting UFO piece .. not a clue what that might be ??? I like all the stuff that you dug esp. the Spanish half real .. nice hunt and finds !

dawg

Looks like you had a great day Steve. I love that green suspender. If they left big items like that, try that site after a good soaking. The 1/2 is sweet, congrats. Mystery item, drafting, medicinal... Arty

nice oldie!!!! MR TUFF

You called that one Steve - WTG! Did the newbies you took find anything? Even if not I guess they're hooked now after seeing that 1/2 reale. Nice hunt!

Nice digs Steve. It's nice to see Pittsburgh still producing old ones. Now if only I could get secure a site like that.

You called that one Steve - WTG! Did the newbies you took find anything? Even if not I guess they're hooked now after seeing that 1/2 reale. Nice hunt!

Bill, the newbies struggled, finding only large iron junk. The one brother has been out with me on several occasions using my backup Fisher 1270X. He got an F75 for his birthday but we determined by the end of the day that the headphones that came with it are junk. I let him try my Grey Ghost Ultimates and he saw a world of difference. He has already ordered his Grey Ghosts. He still needs to learn how to listen "small". His brother was using a cheap Bounty Hunter that didn't get much depth.
This cellar hole is a prime candidate to dig out and sift, and that will be our next project if the farmer gives the OK.

Looks like a great day of detecting with finds like that. Very nice, Steve.

Sweet finds !

nice finds friend

Very cool Steve, Nice to have confidence, it sure doesn't hurt. Predict a find, then pull it out. Icing on the cake. I can see the look on those other hunters' faces now.

Alright, Steve! I am loving the shoe buckle pieces and the Spanish silver is just icing on the cake.

Kirk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back