Got booted out of park this morn....

Pudsbrat

Aug 21, 2004
Mena Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,Garrett ProPointer....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to our local park and was told by one of the park workers that the mayor doesnt want anyone digging in the city park. :icon_scratch:....said the mayor saw several folks hunting in the park the other day and now he has decided that he doesnt want any digging to go on....said we could surface hunt but that is not a good way to find oldies.....so I put my Ace 250 and trowel in the truck and took off politely.....I have never left any holes uncovered to the best of my knowledge....I approach it like a game...try to see if I can cover holes to where people cant tell if I have hunted that section or not.....most of my holes are the depth and diameter of a coke can.....2-2.5 inches across and about 3-4 i
nches deep.....I dont use a army trenching shovel or a backhoe....so what is all the fuss???? :dontknow:

Now, I want to hear what you think I should do??? Go to the mayor's office and have a polite informal talk about what is causing the problem or should I just move on or ??????....Come on TNetters...I need some input...good or bad...no hard feelings if we disagree.... :help:I dont want to just roll over and play dead but what needs to be done???

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I think I'd let it blow over. Hunt your other spots for the next 6 months. The idea will probably be old and nearly forgotten by then. That's assuming there are no written laws or rules about detecting in that town or park. If not, let it slide a while, and resume hunting as normal taking care of the park as you should. If you get booted again, ask the mayor about it. Bring a bag full of the trash you removed from the park during your hunting, showing that you are a helpful asset to the parks dept and not a hindrance.

rogues71

May 9, 2009
mesa az
Detector(s) used
whites mxt
i agree go some where else for a bit then circle back in a couple months. dont try to reason with politicians they dont have a common sense gene.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is amazing that there are still people out in the world, that do not seem to understand the importance of the recovery of relics. whatever they may be!!!! as long as the site is undamaged after the digs. there technically shude not be a issue!! and this way of life some of us call dirt fishing is a clean, fun, relaxing and good for the economy. ( and our pockets) heck i helped inspire a young writer yesterday. he seen me out swinging and later came and talked to me and says i inspired him to wright a story about a guy detecting. who finds a treasure so big he can not retrieve it.. etc etc.. the young man said ''heck i might even make a short movie from this story'' but back to the point.. i would check with the city hall and start a complaint.... what happend to our rights :'( MR TUFF

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think most government local or federal don't want somebody to get something for nothing thats what their payed for I guess. Seems they worry about someone finding something that might be worth alot so they would rather let it rot then you get it. But if they collect taxes from you should be yours to use as long as there's not endangered plant life or something I could see that and as long as you leave it as you found it or better like taking out trash you find which I always do.

L

LandStar

I would go have a chat with the Mayor....Sometimes parks employees tell you to leave and give you that Mayor garbage just to get you out of there...I bet the Mayor has no idea about any of it...

HH,

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it were me I would go to the mayors office and get to the truth of the matter. Just because the mayor has a dislike for our hobby doesn't make his opinion gospel. That is if it is even the mayor at all, and not just a disgruntled park employee. Any new ordinance against metal detecting will take time to implement. In most case it would also have to be brought before a committee of some sort. This means the mayors office will have to show proof that there was damage done to park grounds or property. This would be your chance along with and any fellow hunters to show the benefits of our hobby. Both environmentally, and historically. One persons opinion can and will make a difference if added tactfully, and at the proper time. Bring evidence of the trash that is removed during a hunt and pics of a proper plug. Most of the time ignorance is our greatest enemy when it comes to keeping our privilege. If the public is more educated and enlightened as to the pros of our hobby we would have a lot less problems. In cases like this if no one speaks up on our behalf the politicians win. This is only my opinion but I believe it will be the same with a lot of the folks here at T-Net. Everyday we lose huntable grounds due to folks remaining silent. Most of the time the problem could be avoided. Keep your head up.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pudsbrat said:
Went to our local park and was told by one of the park workers that the mayor doesnt want anyone digging in the city park. :icon_scratch:....said the mayor saw several folks hunting in the park the other day and now he has decided that he doesnt want any digging to go on....said we could surface hunt but that is not a good way to find oldies.....so I put my Ace 250 and trowel in the truck and took off politely.....I have never left any holes uncovered to the best of my knowledge....I approach it like a game...try to see if I can cover holes to where people cant tell if I have hunted that section or not.....most of my holes are the depth and diameter of a coke can.....2-2.5 inches across and about 3-4 i
nches deep.....I dont use a army trenching shovel or a backhoe....so what is all the fuss???? :dontknow:

Now, I want to hear what you think I should do??? Go to the mayor's office and have a polite informal talk about what is causing the problem or should I just move on or ??????....Come on TNetters...I need some input...good or bad...no hard feelings if we disagree.... :help:I dont want to just roll over and play dead but what needs to be done???

Well, there are some on this forum who think we should all tuck our heads, lay low, and watch the gradual restriction of our hobby without a fight. I am not one of those people.

The FIRST thing you need to do is get educated about what the law actually says--not what they say it says. If there has been an ordinance passed, you need to know. (But keep in mind that if you cause too much friction by standing up and saying "There isn't an ordinance against it, and it is my RIGHT to detect the park!" then there will likely be an actual law passed against you and everyone else soon enough!) And if there is something on the books against it already, you should probably not get caught out there after park hours in the middle of the night detecting illegally! None of us wants you to be made into the bad example.

The SECOND thing you should do is read this thread:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,257946.0.html

Start a dialogue in that thread about what you're dealing with. Read carefully the ideas some of us have had about the issuing of permits, and get as many ideas from that discussion as possible.

I am glad to help in any way I can. Feel free to send me a PM anytime.

Regards,

Buckles

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I would have a sit down with the mayor and talk to him about the hobby and how you would lie to get involved. I was just recently appointed by the mayor to the local historical commission. The board was amazed at my knowledge of 18th century life in our community!

We all need to get involved and educate....Most of the laws against detecting are out of ignorance, or are what I call "appeasement" laws; laws that serve no justice, but keep the whiners quiet.

We all need to be more vocal, and explain the metal detecting code of ethics.

It also cannot hurt to carry a trash bag with you. That way when someone asks what you are doing, you can say "oh just cleaning up some of the trash around here". I have never seen anyone get kicked out of a park for cleaning up the place. It amazes me the amount of trash I see that is brought to the surface and then left behind by others. CARRY A TRASH BAG WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES!!! I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!!!

Last year I ran into a boy scout troop on a cleanup mission at a park. I asked if they would like help, and started digging cans for them. I found a bunch of silver as well, and they were fascinated!

Get involved in your community!!!

stillgottawork

Jun 6, 2008
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT , Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would try to the Mayor about our hobby......(maybe he saw some gofer holes in the park and someone said it was a guy metal detecting that left it a mess).... Invite him with you next time to show him how you respect the "code"...

If you still get turned down........theirs always the next election.....!!!

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star
I second Juju's perception of the situation, he has hit the nail right on the head! you must go to the horses's mouth and then deal with it from that point! I think you ran into a disgruntled park employee that has over stepped his bounds. If you show the mayor that your doing things the right way and making it so that nobody could tell that detecting took place I am sure you would be able to detect this park when ever you wished

Slipperyjack47

bearkiller1030

Jun 24, 2009
Sedro Woolley, Wa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
It only takes one guy to not cover his holes and it ruins it for the rest of us!!!!!!!!!!! I went to a baseball field a few weeks ago and went back the other day. Someone had been there in between the two weeks and guess what i found? Uncovered holes everywhere. I personnaly would go to the mayors office and talk to them.

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Pudsbrat said:

Your Town Council would have to pass a resolution banning metal detecting.. not sure how a Mayor can just decide that it can't be done. Unless there are some really unique rules on the books for your town.. the Town Council, or what ever the elected governing body is, votes and passes the regulations.. the mayor's position is generally to vote only in the case of a tie... I was on the Town council in my town for a while.. these are pretty standard ways of governing.. now the Mayor can present a resolution and probably get it passed... if he wanted to.. check the regulations or speak to a council member...

MB

S

Sovereign62

Same thing happened to me despite checking both the parks rules and their websites prior to hunting. I ended up contacting the county where I live and they sent me a copy for activities not allowed in the park and one was metal detecting. The rules rational was that detecting could damage sprinkler systems which most of the parks don't even have.

You can get permission to hunt but it's pretty vague on who you need to secure permission with.

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
Park personnel approached me today and told me if I needed help digging they would go get the tractor. They were serious too.
Newt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions