Got Me a Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger for 50$..I named it "the clean up Machine"

DirtLover

Oct 9, 2016
Florence,Alabama
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236 x2....Garrett GTP 1350....Whites 6000DI Pro SL....Eurotek Pro....Tesoro Deleon...Minelab X-Terra 70...Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got Me a Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger for 50$..I named it "the clean up Machine"

I got everythang from a neighborhood baseball field..that use to have about 4 or 5 houses there...
i know i went over that spot about 100 times...at one point i wasnt finding much of anythang...
till i got the scorpion yesterday...its not to deep...i have read alot of disappointing reviews about this detector
its no prob to me cause i dig everythang anyway....alot of these coin was on edge...but the scorp pimped they azz
so just think of all the coins we are missing that are on edge...
i had read a review that the detector was good on coins on edge before i bought it...thats why i got it..
DSC_0441.JPG DSC_0442.JPG

Upvote 10

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bet the $50 price tag also helped in the decision. I believe any of your other detectors should have given you some sort of signal on those targets. Looks like you really cleaned up today.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job on cleaning out the area! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet deal on the tector I like to dig most everything if I didn't I wouldn't have a lot of the cool finds that I have!!!!! Keep it up the good finds bro!!!!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$50 well spent!

Personally, I've never had issues finding coins on there edge which happens all the time in ploughed land. Although they always pinpoint off-centre of hole, as you hear them better as your coming on or off the target. Like you say, if you dig all the iffy strange signals every machine will get these coins.

OP
OP
D

DirtLover

Oct 9, 2016
Florence,Alabama
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236 x2....Garrett GTP 1350....Whites 6000DI Pro SL....Eurotek Pro....Tesoro Deleon...Minelab X-Terra 70...Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet the $50 price tag also helped in the decision. I believe any of your other detectors should have given you some sort of signal on those targets. Looks like you really cleaned up today.

thx..and yeah the price did too..i had thought the same thing that my other detectors would pick them up...but i was wrong...there was an area of the field that i know i hit hard,slow and good cause i had plucked out a merc there...being real i couldnt get a beep or half beep after i plucked the merc..then i went over the same area with the Scorpion...and found 2 dimes and a key....the Scorpion was only getting about 3 inches deep...on every find...i was getting hits on can slaw the size of a match tip...almost every plug i dug the coins was standing straight up in the clump...i think maybe i might start going over a few spots with my sens sought at 3 or 4...the next few hunts on my other detectors to see what i come up with...

Last edited:

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While vintage metal detectors have their place and were great in their day they are not even near todays detectors and I can't believe other wise. That's why you can buy them for $50.00 I think that beyond a doubt a Garret AT PRO or GOLD would stomp it's guts out several times over on the very same targets. You don't mention what dtectors you hunted the area with previously. It looks like you collect vintage detectors as a hobby and that's great. If I see one myself at a yard sale cheap enough I'll pick it up. You can own 10 $50.00 vintage detectors and not really know how to use them and miss a lot of stuff or you can just spend that $500.00 on a modern detector and learn that detector well. My response is not meant to be sarcastic or negitive but the Scorpion Stinger Gold is not a clean up detector and has me wondering what you had detected the area with before that didn't find those targets? I'm guessing and trying to get the words out because they are unspeakable. ( Vintage ) Bount, Bount, Bount, Hunn, Terr. I have one but just can't say the name and loan it out as a beater when someone is looking for a surveying stake or a septic tank.

weregolf

Jun 14, 2016
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Gemini III, Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, Fisher F2, Deepers 6, OKM rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Wow! a lot of beeps there

OP
OP
D

DirtLover

Oct 9, 2016
Florence,Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While vintage metal detectors have their place and were great in their day they are not even near todays detectors and I can't believe other wise. That's why you can buy them for $50.00 I think that beyond a doubt a Garret AT PRO or GOLD would stomp it's guts out several times over on the very same targets. You don't mention what dtectors you hunted the area with previously. It looks like you collect vintage detectors as a hobby and that's great. If I see one myself at a yard sale cheap enough I'll pick it up. You can own 10 $50.00 vintage detectors and not really know how to use them and miss a lot of stuff or you can just spend that $500.00 on a modern detector and learn that detector well. My response is not meant to be sarcastic or negitive but the Scorpion Stinger Gold is not a clean up detector and has me wondering what you had detected the area with before that didn't find those targets? I'm guessing and trying to get the words out because they are unspeakable. ( Vintage ) Bount, Bount, Bount, Hunn, Terr. I have one but just can't say the name and loan it out as a beater when someone is looking for a surveying stake or a septic tank.

why are they not as good as todays metal detectors...they find the same things....sume go just as deep forreally real...i've watched vids...where the guys with the at pros and e-trac miss targets...if they didnt miss a target why go back to the same spot again...every detector misss a target...no matter the brand..or vdi's or tones....all you getting in todays detectors is a screen...and a few tones...that tells you to dig or not to dig...what fun is that.....i neva said the scorpion was a clean up detector...i said thats what i named it...i've found more with my old detectors than i found with my as you say todays detectors...why would i spend 500-1000$ on a detector thats gonna do the same things the vintage detectors do....i know how to use every detector i've purchased....i go detecting everyday nuthing under 3hrs sumetime i go 3 times a day...i do major research on every detector i got....you can go thru my google history and all you'll see is metal detecting pages...since june 2016...i buy ol'detectors because im ol'school...and they're cheap...i can get the latest and greatest...but why...when im finding the same thing the big boys finding with my old detectors...
here is a pic of a spot i hit awhile back with my Whites 6000...the old guy says my grandson and his friend already detected this yard....witha Garrett at pro and a t2...you aint gonna find nuthin'....so i said ok...but look how it turned out
DSC_0106.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread