Got me a Lesche today... didnt want to....had to.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fresh into the hobby 18 months ago, my first big purchase was the ACE 350. Included with all the swag was the "gator digger"...
I took it for granted as to how sturdy and rugged it was...sure the handle rotted/ fell off/ ripped, but that has happened to all of us ...right?
So a couple months ago, I chose to upgrade to the AT Pro, and included with the package, a Garrett Edge digger...cool.

So I sell the 350 to a buddy, threw in the gator digger as a bonus, figured I didn't need it any more, cuz I got me a new digger, all new and shiney, with a new sheath, serrated on both sides, a bit bigger than the other....hey, I am golden!!! Right? WRONG!!!!

My first hunt the garrett edge digger performed well, as my sandy soil is easy digging... soon thereafter, my next hunt included a target along some palm tree roots...and...did I just bend it?

Since then, it is all beat up and warped, the more I work it, the softer it gets. I tried to reshape it with the help of my bench vise, but I cant seem to get it back to its normal shape...it wont even slide into the sheath anymore.
For the first time in my hobby, I am disappointed in the lack of quality in a Garrett product, that being said, they should stick to tectors, leave the tools to others that have perfected the craft.

I miss my gator digger!!!
Why did I give it away!!!:BangHead:

Always reading of the accolades of the Lesche, I decided to give it a go...

What a bad a$$ looking tool!!!

Shiny and sharp, seems to be pretty solid. I can probably expect that the handle/bicycle grip will be a problem sooner than later, but as long as it doesn't bend, I will deal with it.

Thanks for reading my rant, and HH!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Try not to cut yourself with it.

Dang things are sharp- hold the edge very well, and don't bend.

It's a nice upgrade that YOU DESERVE!

Enjoy!

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YES. thats my reply to everything on this... The serrated side got me slightly a few times! And for prying up rocks etc.., you just cant beat this tool. Soon, you wont even know the names of the old tools you once used... Maybe... "Other tools?? Why? For what? I have a LESCHE!!"

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love mine, the only problem with the bicycle handle, which is 10 times sturdier / stronger than the Garrett soft rubber handle, is that it slips off the frame time to time, im glade they stamped the manufacturers handle name on the Lesche, its top quality. I wore a hole through my Garrett digger handle in 3 months.

USN Retired

Nov 4, 2014
Leary GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love my Lesche, it does an awesome job on roots and this HARD SW GA red Clay

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I got a blue handled digger at lowes meant originally for garden work .. straight edge one side / serrated on the other --V type tip -- 6 inch measure in the body.. it has held up very well-- I even bend the blade of my "gator digger" a few times ..but not with "the blue beastie"...

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lesche is best solution for small hand digger IMO other than my screwdriver, which definitely has its niche areas ! :coffee2:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had this one over a year,very happy with it, no complaints and I can stand on the handle to pry something up.
image.jpg

I have read on here that you can put a quarter in the bicycle grip before you slip it on the digging tool and that keeps the tool from ripping thru hand grip.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made the mistake of purchasing something called "Ames Digger Buddy" or something close to that - it was was the most
uncomfortable thing I've ever had in my hand - I guess I was trying to go on the cheap - got the Lesche , Just get it !!!

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think my Lesche is bout 5 now. Not as shiny these days, but works perfectly.
They're nearly indestructible!
GL
Peace ✌

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I love mine, the only problem with the bicycle handle, which is 10 times sturdier / stronger than the Garrett soft rubber handle, is that it slips off the frame time to time, im glade they stamped the manufacturers handle name on the Lesche, its top quality. I wore a hole through my Garrett digger handle in 3 months.
The Lesche hand shovel is great, and tough as nails. I have had mine for almost 4 years now. I have pryed numerous objects with mine to where I just knew it was going to break or bend, and it hasn't bent the slightest yet. The only issue I had with mine is the bicycle grip handle started slipping after about a year or so. To fix this I removed the handle and squirted some gorilla glue in it, and then slid it back on. I did this fix about 2 years ago, and have not had a problem with it slipping since then.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am still using my Sidedigger that came with the ATP. I have bent mine and the rubber handle did not last long at all. I bought a Sampson shovel because of the Lesche reputation from folks here and have bent it as well! Pretty sure I won't be spending the money on their hand digger since I am hard on " indestructible " Lesche products as well lol. I wish you luck with your new digger!

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am still using my Sidedigger that came with the ATP. I have bent mine and the rubber handle did not last long at all. I bought a Sampson shovel because of the Lesche reputation from folks here and have bent it as well! Pretty sure I won't be spending the money on their hand digger since I am hard on " indestructible " Lesche products as well lol. I wish you luck with your new digger!
OldDude: Funny you mentioned the Sampson. I have a funny story to tell, and almost mentioned it in my last post.
I just purchased the Sampson a couple months ago. I was torn between the Lesche Sampson and the 38D.
I decided on the Sampson because it was shorter and lighter. My dealer told me they have been known to break/bend if used as a pry bar.
After about 2 hunts, I regretted my decision choosing the Sampson over the 38D. Mostly because of the blade length, width, and if I hit a root it tends to just bounce off the root. .
A couple weeks later a friend of mine stops by to show me some of his recent purchases, and he has the 38D.
I tried to keep my cool, and told him I really liked his 38D shovel and that I had recently purchased a new shovel as well.
I show him my Sampson and tell him I almost bought the 38D, but went with the Sampson, because of the weight and length.
So he immediately asks if I want to trade. I said sure. He then hands me the 38D, and I hand him the Sampson. (Done Deal).
I love my new Lesche 38D, the Sampson was ok, but the 38D is awesome. It is a BEAST. One BA Hole Diggin Root Choppin Machine.
I should have just bought the 38D to begin with. This thing is very solid, and appears to be unbreakable.
This thing is like a shovel, a saw, and a prybar all in one. I think I could drive a tank over it, lol.
I may get another Sampson one day, but I have been hunting a lot of woodsy areas, and the 38D seems better fitted for the task. I also really like my lesche hand shovel, but I have not wanted to use it much when I already have the 38D in hand.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Tedyoh,

On EBay a fellow is selling a hard replacement plastic top for the Garrett digger, since the rubber wears on the digger. I purchased one and it is very nice and solves the problem. I do own several Lesche digging tools with the Model 31 being my favorite hand digger.

Regards,

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Looking at the picture above of the Lesche, if a cop comes up, toss that thing on the ground and put both hands in the air. Just saying!

mag315

Greenie
Apr 21, 2015
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Master Hunter 7,
Whites Goldmaster 66TR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My new AT-Pro came with both a Garrett digger and a Lesche. I started out using the Garrett but it bent the second time I used it. I started using the Lesche and haven't looked back.

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My new AT-Pro came with both a Garrett digger and a Lesche. I started out using the Garrett but it bent the second time I used it. I started using the Lesche and haven't looked back.

yea Mag... weren't you disappointed? I couldn't believe how weak it was... I popped the cherry on my lesche this past weekend... like a hot knife through butter!!! I don't know how I hunted so long without it!

Fourwayz

Jun 18, 2007
Out Biking
Detector(s) used
Still deciding IF I want to try again
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a tip for putting on and taking off grips on just about anything. My bicycle mechanic clued me in! If you have an air compressor or even a can of air used for dusting off stuff, point the discharge nozzle or "straw" to the open part of the grip you are trying to install/remove. Press the button then slide/twist the grip either on or off depending on what you are trying to do. It works like gangbusters! Just my 2 cents. You can use this method to adjust the position as well! Huzzah!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread