GOT MILK?

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Hello all treasure hunters, glad to be posting again.

Started this fine hot day by getting the go ahead on a property I have been eyeballing for two years. Just happened to run into the very nice guy that runs the property and he immediately said yes, which I was surprised but very glad to hear. So I had to wait a couple of days for the underground utilities to get marked so as not to pop a gas line. :headbang: So we usually find a pit then come back and hit it but this time we just went there and decided to probe a bit in hopes of finding one right quick. :laughing7: Took us about 20 minutes and Don located one. Rather large with some very loose ash layering. :icon_thumleft: The size was about a 4 by 7 by 5 feet deep. Usually when we find the more loose ash and strata we discover that it's a newer pit being around 1900 to 1925 or so. Which is not really what we like to dig, but we have had some luck in the past with straight sided cokes and such. :tongue3: So onto the dig and as we thought the first items came out and were full blown ABM (Awesome Bottle Man)......or not! :BangHead: But we continued and soon were rewarded with our first Milk.. :headbang: Then another and another and another and another........and another and another.....you get the picture. It was loaded with Milks. Some locals and some out of town. But all awesome finds. Quarts and pints. A very unusual dig to say the least. We don't usually locate so many milks in one pit. I mean what were these people thinking back then. Drink a quart of milk and then just toss the bottle. Come on people refill them suckers! :tongue3: Oh well, our gain for sure. Then another couple surprises were the two honey amber bitters bottles with Josef Lowenthal Getreide Kummel No.00. Not super old but a couple of perfect bottles. :hello2: A great end to a super hot and humid day. But wait, it wasn't over yet. We had to probe for the older pits. Knowing the house that once stood here was at minimum built in 1893 we should have a couple more. So we trudged on for what we thought was the better part of an hour but finally found two more along the property line. These have to be the older ones. But we will have to wait until another day to gather our strength to tackle those. So I hope to be posting again soon. I hope you enjoy the pictures. Until next time, Happy Hunting. jgas

Attachments

• s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 78
  • s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 72
  • s3.jpg
    s3.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 76
  • s4.jpg
    s4.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 81
  • s5.jpg
    s5.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 75
  • s6.jpg
    s6.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 85
  • s7.jpg
    s7.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 75
  • s8.jpg
    s8.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 80
  • s9.jpg
    s9.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 76
  • s10.jpg
    s10.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 76
  • s11.jpg
    s11.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 69
  • s12.jpg
    s12.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 68
  • s13.jpg
    s13.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 84
  • s14.jpg
    s14.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 79
  • s15.jpg
    s15.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 82
  • s16.jpg
    s16.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 75
  • s17.jpg
    s17.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 80
  • s18.jpg
    s18.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 86
  • s19.jpg
    s19.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 75
  • s20.jpg
    s20.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 75
  • s21.jpg
    s21.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 69
  • s22.jpg
    s22.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 69
  • s23.jpg
    s23.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 77

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Started this fine hot day by getting the go ahead on a property I have been eyeballing for two years. Just happened to run into the very nice guy that runs the property and he immediately said yes, which I was surprised but very glad to hear. So I had to wait a couple of days for the underground utilities to get marked so as not to pop a gas line.

So since I'm a metal detectorist, and not a bottle hunter, let me get this straight. You went to this place thinking it had buried bottles (how you would know that is beyond me), found the groundskeeper, and said "Hey, I want to dig tremendous holes on your property, because there may be some neat old bottles down there somewhere.", and he said, "sure, have at it!"? And people think MD'ers will leave holes! :)

I hope you read that they way I was hoping to get it out there, and not as if I was slamming what you do, I'm just more in shock that someone would let you do that. It's gotta take a huge set of cajones to ask for a permission like that!

But sounds like it was a great and productive hunt!

cje

Apr 7, 2009
clinton ma
Detector(s) used
minelab sovereign xs
Great post JGAS. Love the milks, but looking forward to to see what the older pits will reveal.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure enjoy your posts, congrats on all the milks!!!! What a great day. I have dug lots of pits with nothing to show but a hurt back. Impressive cleaning, I usually don't have the energy:) Keep them coming all summer!

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Thanks for the replies everyone. Hey KirkS, trust me it is a bit sketchy to ask for permission to dig such monster holes. But our reputation built over years of digging pits in our area is that we make great efforts into putting the grass and soil back exactly the way we dug it. The folks see how meticulous we are and word gets around. My first permission was the most nervous of course. But I thought what the heck, all they can say is no. Truly you can dig huge holes in more manicured lawns and replace the grass right where it was. One rain and boom, never knew we were there. So go and ask, you would be surprised at how many people like to see what comes out of the ground. Jgas.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post as usual. Wow,the milks just kept coming like there was no end. Kind of strange that there wasn't much other stuff. I like the bitters bottles and glad to see they came out whole. Go get those other 2 pits and good luck. Thanks for the photos.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice jgas !! One day ill get to dig a privy. Not to many privys down here on the coral reef Caprock of the florida keys. 2 inches of sand and then solid rock. Very nice post, I so want to have an adventure doing that. Still on my bucket list. Congrats. Milk, it does the body good !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions