Got my 2nd Woods Hibernia colonial copper yesterday!

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
What a great day to go out detecting yesterday! This weather has given us in the northeast a nice jump on the season.
Yesterday my father and I decided to head out into the woods to search for a home site that I had researched over the winter months. It was about a half mile walk from the nearest road and we were able to find it with no problem. Looks like it was a pretty big farm at one time with a lot of cleared fields and stone walls. We immediately noticed a really cool arched stone cold cellar right next to the house foundation. (That's my father standing in front of it in the pics.) You don't see too many of these and we thought it was really amazing that it was still standing after all these years. The area was very difficult to hunt due to the abundance of prickers and brush but it wasn't 5 minutes into the hunt when I got my first flat button which I took to be a good sign. Several more followed and the large silver plated one really gave me a start when it first came out of the hole. I really thought I had found my first colonial silver coin. Several hours of searching revealed not too much else so I returned to the area that I got the buttons and ended up finding one lone coin, a Woods Hibernia copper circa 1723. It's not in the greatest condition but at least there was enough to identify it. The last find was the bicycle suspender clip. This was odd since it dates to around 1900 and nothing else we found was that late. Anyone ever seen one before? The Silver Top Chewing Gum tin came from another site we hit on the way there. Enjoy the pics!

PS. What's the deal with this cedar tree photographed below? Why would someone make all those axe cuts in it? It was definitely done a long time ago....

Attachments

• IMG_3130.JPG
    IMG_3130.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_3132.JPG
    IMG_3132.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 457
  • IMG_3134.JPG
    IMG_3134.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_3138.JPG
    IMG_3138.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_3137.JPG
    IMG_3137.JPG
    219.7 KB · Views: 448
Upvote 0

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet! That is definitely on my Colonial wish list. :notworthy: :headbang:

Kirk

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Great hunt with your dad, congrats on the finds. I think the tree you asked about was used for practice for the Springchop Competition laughter.gif

[youtube=425,350]vauFW9Nys8Q&feature=related[/youtube]​

Attachments

• laughter.gif
    laughter.gif
    5.7 KB · Views: 428

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice start to the season.....That stone structure is interesting. WTG

OP
OP
incajoe

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
dwayne sueno said:
great coin and awesome site. looks like it could keep you busy for a while.

There's another home site about a quarter of a mile further into the woods than this one that didn't have time to check out so we will definitely be going back!

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice site. I wonder if someone made those axe chops for foot holds to climb? Just a guess.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There sure seems to be a lot of those coppers posted, and given the age I always think there must be something else good to dig.

I think it's going to be my year to finally find one.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Iron Patch said:
There sure seems to be a lot of those coppers posted, and given the age I always think there must be something else good to dig.

I think it's going to be my year to finally find one.

Mine too!

Nice find!

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME! I got 2 hibernias so far this year as well! What an awesome coin! :icon_thumright:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice area for sure, glad the winter has taken a trip to somewhere else that all the goodies are being found again. Congrats on your second Hibernia, I cannot remember if I contacted you on the first for reporting your find to Dr Mossman, if not could you PM me with the state and county found in and the date of the other one if not previoulsly reported for Dr Mossman's survey?

Thanks

Don

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, and I really liked the picture of the overhead archway. You might want to tell someone in a historical society about
that one.......they might be able to undo it, and take it into a park and put it back together, to preserve it intact. That - in itself -
is a great historical find. (With the dates of the items you found, that overhead should have been down.) Hope something
comes of it. Great, Great, Great!!!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Finds and kool lookin' site! Congrats.............Hogge :headbang:

Top Member Reactions