Got my 4" sniper coil today

68kaiser

Feb 6, 2016
Northern California
Detector(s) used
F4, tesoro vaquero, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I goty sniper coil from Kellyco today. I don't get it. I can not find any coins with it. I have only checked my yard so far and done some testing with it. Air test are good but when I put a coin in the ground it likes to call them iron the deeper I put the coin. I have pounded my yard with my 11" dd coil and can't believe the sniper will not find anymore coins. I guess I did good with the dd coil. I will try it some more and hopefully get the hang of it. Many I was expecting to much from the little guy.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Strange...I put one on my F2 and it rarely ever came off again.
In 1.5 years using the little hockey puck coil it found me over $500 in clad, old coins, relics and jewelry....so much jewelry.
I have 2 other larger coils for my detector, this one found more than both combined and that included going back over many sites I thought I cleared out with the bigger coils but I was shocked to find out I was way wrong.

Do some sort if reset, check your connections, could be a bad coil if you only show iron...it happens.
This coil should work as well as any other, ID correctly shallow and even deep, it should easily get to 6" but maybe even a bit more.
Not counting all the clad, here are just a few of the other things my F2 and sniper found for me.

Attachments

• fffr.jpg
    fffr.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep in mind that the ID of any freshly buried coin is going to be off. Also, the span of a yard is enough to discredit that coil. When you get into really trashy areas (around bleachers and such), that's where that beauty really shines.

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 4" on my T2 works great. I was nailing wheaties 6+" deep.

Remember that the indicated depth on the meter and the coins true depth will be way off.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My F2 was a good machine up to about 6" in the ground with the 8" coil. It would pick up 7" targets with traveling ID. But up to 6" it was great. I don't see all the things some say about 8-10 inches with the F2, but that's just me. I did a thread in the comparison section about my Quick Draw Pro outperforming my F2.

I tried the 4" coil on my F2 and air tested it and was not impressed. So I never put it back on. The recovery speed was really good even with the 8" coil and I didn't need the tiny 4" in the places I go.

From my own evaluation of the 4" on the F2/F4 I would say it max's out at 4-5" in the ground (6" on my air test) and given the ID would lock an inch less than what it found with sound puts depth at 3-4" with positive lock. The GB on the F4 could make those numbers a bit better. Of course I'm speculating, but don't expect the 4" concentric to even hold a candle to the abilities of the 5" DD that works on the Fratbros machines from FTP. (the F2/F4 are not Fratbros machines).

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My 4" on my T2 works great. I was nailing wheaties 6+" deep.

Remember that the indicated depth on the meter and the coins true depth will be way off.

Are you sure it's a 4" and not a 5"? T2 uses DD coils and the only ones I know that fit the T2 are the 5" DD.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have pounded my yard with my 11" dd coil and can't believe the sniper will not find anymore coins.

I can believe it. The sniper isn't as deep as the 11" DD. Unless masking was the culprit, your 11" DD has cleared what could be cleared.

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure it's a 4" and not a 5"? T2 uses DD coils and the only ones I know that fit the T2 are the 5" DD.

It's the one that came with the detector package. I own both the F2 and the T2 and I may of goofed on size.

Yep, just looked, it is a 5" round on the T2. :BangHead: oops

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I got up to 6" with the F2 4" sniper, good ID's, stable, nice.
I aimed for mostly trashy sites so it stayed on most of the time, basketball, tennis and volleyball courts, dividers in parking lots, picnic areas and around pavilions.
Separation and recovery speed is excellent.

On my Vaquero a 5.75 concentric coil goes as deep as the standard concentric, also fast.

On my F70 the DD sniper goes remarkably deep, easily 10" and more in good soil, separation, recovery time, ability to hunt in trash or iron is almost unbelievable...I have a friend with a T2 and he rarely uses anything but the small coil for the same reasons.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread