Got my brand new Garrett AT Pro today

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I traded my Minelab X-terra 505 for a new AT Pro. (Thanks Keith at Fort Bedford Metal Detectors)

I've been learning everything there's to know about the At Pro.
I've watched a lot of tutorial videos, read a lot, reviews, etc...plus the field experiences of all the members here, it really has been an educational experience.

I feel comfortable that I will manage it with no problems, I do still want to go thru the learning process starting with the standard mode before I move onto the Pro mode.

It came with a 5" x 8.5" Proformance Coil. It looked smaller in person, at least not as big as I've had envisioned it.

I just put it all together this evening, and I can't wait for the weekend to try it out.

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
I would bypass the standard mode and go right on into breaking her in with the Pro Mode. To me the Standard Mode sounds chintzy and even appears to have a slower response to a target. I would not start out trying to master mind the AT Pro fiddling around with Iron Audio and all that jazz. I turn the iron discrimination to 30 put it in Pro Mode and go at it. It's a good machine and will do everything you expect it too. Enjoy and HH. :metaldetector:

OP
OP
G

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I would bypass the standard mode and go right on into breaking her in with the Pro Mode. To me the Standard Mode sounds chintzy and even appears to have a slower response to a target. I would not start out trying to master mind the AT Pro fiddling around with Iron Audio and all that jazz. I turn the iron discrimination to 30 put it in Pro Mode and go at it. It's a good machine and will do everything you expect it too. Enjoy and HH. :metaldetector:
It seems like the general concensus is that the best mode is the Pro mode, I do want to see the difference, I know at the end, the Pro mode is likely where I'll do most of my hunts, if not all of them.
Thank you for those tips. I will follow up on them

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I totally agree. You will learn nothing of value in the standard mode. Skip it and go straight to pro. It's a very easy detector to learn. Good luck!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome man!..Dont let that small coil worry you, thats the best thing that happened for my ATP

OP
OP
G

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The good, gets good-er He-he!!

I just ordered my NEL Hunter coil for my new AT Pro.
Sweet! :D

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It most definitely HAS a slower response in standard. I use Pro Zero with no disc. I only use iron audio in farm fields. I wish you much luck and success.

OP
OP
G

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It most definitely HAS a slower response in standard. I use Pro Zero with no disc. I only use iron audio in farm fields. I wish you much luck and success.
Thank you.
This afternoon I took it out for a quick test around the green areas around my place, and guess what?
I pulled my first ever pull tab!
Hahaha!!!
I now officially belong to the Metal Detecting hobby. Welcome aboard I told myself! :hello2:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you.
This afternoon I took it out for a quick test around the green areas around my place, and guess what?
I pulled my first ever pull tab!
Hahaha!!!
I now officially belong to the Metal Detecting hobby. Welcome aboard I told myself! :hello2:

Expect a thousand or so of those until your first Gold but if you don't dig the tabs you will miss the Gold.Enjoy the hobby and welcome to our insanity.:laughing7:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Goose! And I'm glad to hear you dug your first find with it today! :) Hope the next pull tab is silver! 8-)

Oct 15, 2014
Delaware County, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master
ACE 250
AT Pro
Garrett Pin Pointer
Meaty hand shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will love the AT Pro! Today I found a 1796 1R Spanish Reale with mine. if you are familiar with the coil structure you will have a leg up. The setting I would agree should be at Pro coins (if that's what you're looking for) and set your discrimination at 30 or so, standard setting is 35...after you find a few gold items in the 32-35 range you will see that the factory settings are a little off in finding gold. Other than that, in Pro coins mode, you will find that the 90 range and above should be silver, for my machine mercury/silver dimes show up at 91 or so, today, the Spanish reale showed up at around 92 to 96. last week I found a 1907 Barber dime and it came in at 81 directly to 99 and back and forth. pennies are in the 70 to 80 range, dimes are 81 to 82 range and quarters are 85 to 86 range. I have found gold at 32, 66 and today at 55 with a small gold chain. In Pro mode you have the advantage of binary audio, and what you want to listen for are "screamers". when I say creamers I don't mean ear blasters that typically show up at 2-4" or so, screamers are the coins that are wayyyy down screaming up...these are whispers and little whoooo's in your ear muffs. Make sure to line up straight to the target and re-scan at 90 degrees to the target to get a true reading on your numerical scale. You will find that straight on to a target you will read a 81 to 84 on your scale, at a 90 degree re-sweep you will get a 73 to 76 on you're scale, that more than likely is a bottle cap!! Listen to the ground, you will here the little whispers, listed and work the target and you will rip stuff out of the ground with that machine. Good luck, you're going to love that machine.

OP
OP
G

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Expect a thousand or so of those until your first Gold but if you don't dig the tabs you will miss the Gold.Enjoy the hobby and welcome to our insanity.:laughing7:
You're right. The conductivity was around 80ish so I thought it was going to be a good find, but it wasn't.
Gotta dig those, though :icon_thumleft:

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No picture of the new detector???? Come'on man!!! We want pictures!

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoy your new detector.

OP
OP
G

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You will love the AT Pro! Today I found a 1796 1R Spanish Reale with mine. if you are familiar with the coil structure you will have a leg up. The setting I would agree should be at Pro coins (if that's what you're looking for) and set your discrimination at 30 or so, standard setting is 35...after you find a few gold items in the 32-35 range you will see that the factory settings are a little off in finding gold. Other than that, in Pro coins mode, you will find that the 90 range and above should be silver, for my machine mercury/silver dimes show up at 91 or so, today, the Spanish reale showed up at around 92 to 96. last week I found a 1907 Barber dime and it came in at 81 directly to 99 and back and forth. pennies are in the 70 to 80 range, dimes are 81 to 82 range and quarters are 85 to 86 range. I have found gold at 32, 66 and today at 55 with a small gold chain. In Pro mode you have the advantage of binary audio, and what you want to listen for are "screamers". when I say creamers I don't mean ear blasters that typically show up at 2-4" or so, screamers are the coins that are wayyyy down screaming up...these are whispers and little whoooo's in your ear muffs. Make sure to line up straight to the target and re-scan at 90 degrees to the target to get a true reading on your numerical scale. You will find that straight on to a target you will read a 81 to 84 on your scale, at a 90 degree re-sweep you will get a 73 to 76 on you're scale, that more than likely is a bottle cap!! Listen to the ground, you will here the little whispers, listed and work the target and you will rip stuff out of the ground with that machine. Good luck, you're going to love that machine.
Great info man, I appreciate that.
The way I've had it set up today was precisely as you suggested. Pro mode, discrimination at 30I ground balance to 80, though I could've fine tuned with more tweaks, but was good enough to have a smooth and quiet operation.
I don't know if it was my experience with prior detectors, but the AT Pro was quieter than I expected. Perhaps the low mineralization of the area helped.
Easy to handle and has a good and peculiar grunt tone on iron and ferrous materials; I've got that sound down pat now :D

Overall, it's a very user friendly machine in my opinion if you have some basic metal detecting skills.
Lots of instructional videos on the net specifically testing and reviewing the AT Pro.
The down side is that the weekend is still 3 days away and I've just got the fever from this afternoon outing. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'll post pics tomorrow. I'm going to try my digital camera instead of my Iphone.
I also have a Garret Pro-pointer

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're right. The conductivity was around 80ish so I thought it was going to be a good find, but it wasn't. Gotta dig those, though :icon_thumleft:

Make sure you are ground balancing correctly. 80's is way too high for a common pull tab.

OP
OP
G

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Make sure you are ground balancing correctly. 80's is way too high for a common pull tab.
I'm sure I could've tweaked the GB a little bit better.
I don't think I did it right. I will try again gorund balancing better.
Thanks guys, I do follow up on every tip you guys provide. Everything has been spot on and it's making me understand the process a whole lot better. Please keep them coming.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread