PaJim

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Land Ranger Pro
Whites coinmaster

Garret AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty excited about it too... Real close to my house and owned by a big cement company. I was surprised they gave me the time of day to talk to them about detecting. To be honest, the guy I was talking to (chief geologist of the company) sounded kind of interested in the hobby. IF my research is correct (several hours of sifting through books, map study) the 59 acre field I got permission to dates back to the mid 1700's.

Here's my hang up though.. besides having to sign the liability waiver, they are also requiring me to get a comprehensive liability insurance policy and list their company as an "additional insured" on it. That could end up being several hundred dollars. ($250-$500). I don't understand why they need that since the waiver pretty much states they have no responsibility even if I die at their fault... Anyone else have to deal with that? Hopefully things work out and I can see if anything is left at this sight.

Upvote 0

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish you the best of luck on your new permission but the $250-$500 policy they require sounds like a nice way of them saying no.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you own a business you have to have this type of insurance. I happen to have it for my business and it should carry over to things like this. Good Luck and Congrats on the permission!

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thinink I would look for another place to hunt. Like the adjoining property to theirs.
Marvin

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"additional insured" ie you are insuring their employees on your policy? sounds like a no without saying it

OP
OP
P

PaJim

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Land Ranger Pro
Whites coinmaster

Garret AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talked to the guy yesterday about it. He talked to the company attorneys and came to the conclusion that having them as additionally insured is not necessary as long as I have general liability coverage (which I do under my homeowners), and that costs nothing more to me. So that's good news for me. I made sure to thank the guy plenty for taking the time to talk to me and he said I'm "1 in a 100 that is actually doing it the right way". And he closed with saying he'd love to know what I find if anything cool pops up. I think this guy is a closet metal detector fan. Truth be told, this company owns a lot of property in my town so making good connections and setting a good example will go a long way for me. Pretty pumped!

Digginrebel

Feb 23, 2016
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent approach and job well done. Done the correct way avoids you looking over your shoulder all the time. Know this though - others may see you there and think that gives them permission as well. Make it very clear that you must have permission and insurance to be there and only you do. Others have messed up too many of my good spots. Hunted 3000 acres for over 10 years. Filled every hole to keep the cows safe. Went one day and holes everywhere. Went and spoke with the owner and he blamed me, not the new guy he let hunt, without telling me, that teaches his grandson in History at the local school. The new guy brought a van full of others that tore the land to pieces. Now, The owner has passed and the son said No More Hunting Allowed. Too destructive! Good Luck and keep that coil low and level!

P@tch

Apr 9, 2013
mooresville,nc
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer 2, etrac, deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skippy, That's just the way Big business works. It's not a big deal. Most company's require if your on their property you ad them on.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty excited about it too... Real close to my house and owned by a big cement company. I was surprised they gave me the time of day to talk to them about detecting. To be honest, the guy I was talking to (chief geologist of the company) sounded kind of interested in the hobby. IF my research is correct (several hours of sifting through books, map study) the 59 acre field I got permission to dates back to the mid 1700's.

Here's my hang up though.. besides having to sign the liability waiver, they are also requiring me to get a comprehensive liability insurance policy and list their company as an "additional insured" on it. That could end up being several hundred dollars. ($250-$500). I don't understand why they need that since the waiver pretty much states they have no responsibility even if I die at their fault... Anyone else have to deal with that? Hopefully things work out and I can see if anything is left at this sight.

I've had to do additional insured it was 50 bucks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread