Got My New CTX 3030 Today!

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I can't wait for the rain to stop so I can start learning the machine out in the yard. Maybe find something my AT Pro left behind. I know I have a LOT of learning to do with this machine, but that will come with time.

Happy Hunting Everyone,

Vdubguy

Upvote 0

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You might get a little deeper depth with a good rain and since the 3030 is waterproof - get off your butt and out in the rain and let's see what that Baby can do! You can't find something if you're not swinging your coil. And ya know ya can't turn it on inside because of all the electrical-mechanical interference, so go out in the yard and play around...you just might find a gold ring. P.S., Darkness isn't an excuse either - the 3030 has back-lighting.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might get a little deeper depth with a good rain and since the 3030 is waterproof - get off your butt and out in the rain and let's see what that Baby can do! You can't find something if you're not swinging your coil. And ya know ya can't turn it on inside because of all the electrical-mechanical interference, so go out in the yard and play around...you just might find a gold ring. P.S., Darkness isn't an excuse either - the 3030 has back-lighting.

I like your style!

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am curious to know how you make out with this.

I too have the AT Pro and am making the switch to the 3030 in April, so hurry up and learn it will ya! :laughing7::laughing7:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I swing an ATP and my friend has the 3030...he can definitely find the deeper stuff, that unit is a silver sniffing machine! He enjoys hunting BEHIND me, picking up deep stuff I passed over, and he'll have me come back to try to find it, which I have always been able to do but u have to try all directions...itl find it but not as easy...the 3030 is definitely an awesome unit..! Congrats...now get out and swing! Good luck and happy hunting...Ddf

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rain, whats that? Its a mind set, I dont mind so it dont matter. Get out there and swing that thing.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I consider myself an expert in rain hunting.

Up in the Pacific NW, rain means fewer people in the parks and easy digging.

I also agree that the CTX likes moist ground. I am a little over a year in and I am still learning the finer points of the CTX.

slick356

Feb 11, 2016
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ctx 3030
Minelab Etrac
Whites Dfx
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on getting an awesome detector! I just got mine 2 months ago and am learning it to.... I live in western Pennsylvania and of course it decided to now become winter here. I don't think it's as hard to learn as some guys have suggested. I kept my Whites Dfx for a back up...and I doubt i will ever use it again.
The Ctx is an incredible machine.....

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, let's give you my end of things. I was out of the hobby from 1988 until 2013. In 1981 I'd started swinging a number of machines, settled into the Garrett (reference my screen name), then went Fisher, and then went away for those 25 years. Life kinda kicks our butts sometimes for extended periods.

I came back, what I knew about detecting was the sounds, and I remain to date, a sound guy. Keeping it simple, you hear a good solid "bing", go 90 degrees and hear a good solid "bing", and out comes the digger. That's all there was to it. You get into those variations where you have to make a decision to dig or not. The better it sounds, the better it is when you dig it out. The only evolution we really see right now is the tone ID's whatever machine you use. I dig a whole lot but maybe not even enough.

Really, I think this new age of target identification we have now makes me miss good things I'd have dug, if I didn't have FE-CO numbers or whatever the heck your detector identifies it as.

In the complexity of treasure, it is our choice sometimes to miss really nice things we'd love.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
This thread has touched on a lot of topics that interest me -
I prefer hunting in rain and in bad weather because of less people on beach;
I have read Andy's book to first learn about the 3030 even though I haven't bought one yet;
I always worry about the targets that I don't dig...but when I count all the bottle caps (45 on one hunt recently) and estimate lost time (1-1 1/2 hrs) I have to give some more thought about screening out bad targets; and finally,
I wonder if there really is much to gain from going from my present detector, an Excal, to a 3030? The thought of successfully screening-out unwanted targets and having an option of different coils seem to be the most worthwhile improvements...but I'm still on the fence (because of the costs).

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
This thread has touched on a lot of topics that interest me -
I prefer hunting in rain and in bad weather because of less people on beach;
I have read Andy's book to first learn about the 3030 even though I haven't bought one yet;
I always worry about the targets that I don't dig...but when I count all the bottle caps (45 on one hunt recently) and estimate lost time (1-1 1/2 hrs) I have to give some more thought about screening out bad targets; and finally,
I wonder if there really is much to gain from going from my present detector, an Excal, to a 3030? The thought of successfully screening-out unwanted targets and having an option of different coils seem to be the most worthwhile improvements...but I'm still on the fence (because of the costs).

I'm no longer on the fence. Expect arrival of 3030 tomorrow and, after some adjustments for the beaches I hit, I'll be off and learning something new - how cool is that! Hope to impact my poor coin - to - gold ratio this year (2017) which is about 600:1, ouch. Usually runs 250-300:1.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread