Got my new, slightly used O8 and have some questions.

mattw

Mar 31, 2009
Homer, IL
Detector(s) used
DFX, Explorer SE Pro, Omega 8000 & Classic ID
Ok, so I traded for an O8, have been really wanting to try one out. We are snowed and rained in so I have only poked the ground with it for a few moments. It seems darn sensitive, does seem to have some EMI issues when the coil is not moving, expected that.

Questions...

Ground grab - I read the book and tried it, seems to show errors every time it passes over a target. Is that normal, due to the added "minerals" iron in the ground? It will take some time to get used to the music it plays while I am doing the process of ground grabbing.

Control housing - It is flexible at the top of the padded grip, is that so if it gets dropped it may not break off? Is a little movement up there normal?

It sure seems to recover quickly if you are running a little disc. Is there an ideal disc. setting when working in trashy nail beds? How fast does it need to be swept? I have a DFX which likes a quick sweep and an Explorer SE that loves a slow sweep, those are my reference points.

Also, anyone know of a TID data table for US coins for this unit, so I will have a starting point of reference?

Thanks Matt

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
08? You are referring to Teknetics Omega 8000 correct?

OP
OP
mattw

mattw

Mar 31, 2009
Homer, IL
Detector(s) used
DFX, Explorer SE Pro, Omega 8000 & Classic ID
Yes, the Omega 8000.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Housing is a bit flexible yes!
Make sure when you ground grad you have a nice clean spot to preform it in.
Most Teknetics prefer a faster swing. Coming from an Explorer you will really need to speed it up. Experiment with it.
Don't know the #'s very well. My son uses my demo 8000.
Best experience is to get out and swing it. Weather permitting of course! lol

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so I traded for an O8, have been really wanting to try one out. We are snowed and rained in so I have only poked the ground with it for a few moments. It seems darn sensitive, does seem to have some EMI issues when the coil is not moving, expected that.

Questions...

Ground grab - I read the book and tried it, seems to show errors every time it passes over a target. Is that normal, due to the added "minerals" iron in the ground? It will take some time to get used to the music it plays while I am doing the process of ground grabbing.

Yes it is normal to show a ground error when passing over targets. The only way to get a true ground reading is to pump the coil over clean ground.

Control housing - It is flexible at the top of the padded grip, is that so if it gets dropped it may not break off? Is a little movement up there normal?

It sure seems to recover quickly if you are running a little disc. Is there an ideal disc. setting when working in trashy nail beds? How fast does it need to be swept? I have a DFX which likes a quick sweep and an Explorer SE that loves a slow sweep, those are my reference points.

The ideal disc setting to knock out small nails is 16. when using d1 (single tone) in themulti tone options it is best to hear some iron. I usually run the disc all the way down where there is not a lot of iron and up around 10-12 in the heavy stuff which lets you know you need to slow down without dealing with a tremendous amount of iron grunts. Use a comfortable moderate sweep for best reults. It can be swept much faster the the FBS units from ML.

Also, anyone know of a TID data table for US coins for this unit, so I will have a starting point of reference?

Sorry I dont but throw some coins down and check em out.

Thanks Matt

dld

Apr 21, 2010
NE Fla
Detector(s) used
ace 250, BHID, Explorer SE Pro, Omega 8000
do you mean this, it is in the manual
File0027.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread