Got my ounce early this week

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I've had a loose goal of an ounce of silver per week for a while now. I almost never attain it; my average since early September is about .6oz, with only 3 weeks where I topped the 1oz mark. I do mostly dimes, but have a standing order of 2 boxes of halves per week. Sometimes I bump it up to 4 or 6 boxes when I have money in my bank account. I pick up loose halves or bank-wrapped rolls of halves where I can as well. Also started up on nickels again last week - got 4 war nics out of 3 boxes, so that was pretty good.

This morning I went to a local branch of my pickup bank to get a box of dimes and a box of nickels. I never ask them for halves, because they never have them and this particular branch stopped ordering them for me about 2 months ago. Anyhow, the teller tells me she can give me the dimes but they are short on nickels. I misheard her, and asked how many nickels she *could* give me (sometimes I take a few $20 trays worth if I can't get a whole box). She let me know she couldn't give me any or they'd be short. Then she said "I think we have some halves back there I could give you".

Oh really? Yes, sure I'll take those off your hands.

She brought out $210 worth of halves that the bank rolled themselves from their coin machines. I've been told in the past that they don't ever re-roll halves, they send them back to (wait for it) "the fed". I'd *also* been told at this particular branch that the tellers are allowed to "pick out" silver halves when they see them come through, so I didn't exactly get my hopes up. But hey, always buy them all, right?

Turned out to be one of my better hauls. Four 40%s and one 90% Ken. 0.9533 ounces of AG on $210 worth of rolls that I would never have thought to ask for.

If I get one silver dime out of my box, I'll be over an ounce for the week. On Monday.

:headbang:

Go figure, I really had no expectation of hitting an ounce on this short holiday week. Seems like the weeks I try the hardest I get skunked, and the times I score are when things just fall in to my lap without really trying.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: got 2 silvers out of my dime box: a 1964 and a nice 1941-D Merc!

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up another $240 in bank-wrapped halves from another branch.

1 40%
2 1979 pesos
1 1988 $500 madero
6 proofs, 2000-2004

Also picked up $80 in nickels, got 1 war nickel so far.

running weekly AG total: 1.30oz

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: I hit 2.4oz for the week! My best AG week ever. And only $1010 in halves, $600 in dimes, $180 in nickels. (I still have $40 in nickels to search).

The trick this week was that all my halves were from unusual sources. $510 in bank-wrapped rolls, and then a box yesterday from my hometown, about 2.5 hours away, where their distributor is in the next state. I got 1 90 and 3 more 40's from that box. Much better luck than I usually have on the same old Loomis boxes that have already been thinned out by my friend Styfflin! :)

It also helped that I got a dime box Wednesday with 4 silver in it, including a Merc. All 3 Roosies were condition upgrades on my collection, including a 1964 that looks nearly perfect.

What a week! I'm ready to go charging in to the rest of this calendar year with higher expectations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread