Got one of "those" boxes...

bblair

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Last week started off pretty good for me, scored 13 - 40%ers in $40 worth of CWR on Tuesday. Then Wednesday picked up 2 of my 3 boxes - first box netted me 4 - 40% halves and the second box had 1 - 90% (1920 Walker) and 4 more 40%ers.

Then....Friday I got the 3rd box and I could see through the holes, all customer wrapped rolls. Needless to say it was a skunk AND I was shorted on a few rolls. I know it happens sometimes with the MWR's, but I am going to complain to the bank and tell them if Dunbar brings anymore boxes with CWR's I won't buy them because they were short.

Now I know the frustration everyone else feels when they open one of these boxes. Guess it goes with the territory. But I'd rather take my chances with MWR's, especially boxes.

Let's see if my $150 in dimes produce anything tonight!

HH
bblair

Upvote 0

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always taken the stance that no matter what ill buy the boxes. I figure its not really fair for me to order a box and then tell the nice lady sorry I dont want this one. We order halves, not halves that might be silver. ;) Ill take the re wrapped boxes and dump them back into the system in bags. Now, if there are hundreds of banks in your area I suppose you would have more flexibility. Sucks, but we have to face the fact that there are a great many re rollers out there, and some of the suppliers just re box them.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember someone awhile back getting a box full of CWRs that was loaded with silver.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I have always taken the stance that no matter what ill buy the boxes. I figure its not really fair for me to order a box and then tell the nice lady sorry I dont want this one. We order halves, not halves that might be silver. ;) Ill take the re wrapped boxes and dump them back into the system in bags. Now, if there are hundreds of banks in your area I suppose you would have more flexibility. Sucks, but we have to face the fact that there are a great many re rollers out there, and some of the suppliers just re box them.

I allways take the box too but, I have contemplated here lately about asking my really cool bank ( vault teller loves me because I bring her Iks, which she collects) if she can ask the Brinks guys not to bring in any boxes that are not sealed because of the complaints of being shorted. I don't know how many are on the truck when they deliver, maybe they have more for other banks on the truck? Maybe I would have a better chance of them knowing when they deliver to my bank that they should pick the sealed boxes out for that stop. I don't know, just thinking out loud. Maverick.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I allways take the box too but, I have contemplated here lately about asking my really cool bank ( vault teller loves me because I bring her Iks, which she collects) if she can ask the Brinks guys not to bring in any boxes that are not sealed because of the complaints of being shorted. I don't know how many are on the truck when they deliver, maybe they have more for other banks on the truck? Maybe I would have a better chance of them knowing when they deliver to my bank that they should pick the sealed boxes out for that stop. I don't know, just thinking out loud. Maverick.

I think thats a totally fair request, especially if you know the lead teller and she likes you. Of course, the bank or courier may have a policy against that but never hurts to ask. The bank I get about 30% of my orders from (and the one I received a couple re boxes from last week), I believe I am the only CRHer on halves from that bank in the city, so the truck probably would not have any other boxes.

OP
OP
bblair

bblair

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys are right, I will still buy the box if it happens again. But I'll still mention that it was short. I just don't like the idea that #1 - It's probably going to be a skunk and #2 there's more of a chance it will be short a few coins. I guess I shouldn't complain too much, it was only the first time it happened to me.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I think thats a totally fair request, especially if you know the lead teller and she likes you. Of course, the bank or courier may have a policy against that but never hurts to ask. The bank I get about 30% of my orders from (and the one I received a couple re boxes from last week), I believe I am the only CRHer on halves from that bank in the city, so the truck probably would not have any other boxes.

I'm in the same situation now that I think about it, I'm the only one( at least with the banks I deal with) that does it in my area too. I get 2 tomorrow, so I guess I'll check them there and hope for the best. Maverick.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys are right, I will still buy the box if it happens again. But I'll still mention that it was short. I just don't like the idea that #1 - It's probably going to be a skunk and #2 there's more of a chance it will be short a few coins. I guess I shouldn't complain too much, it was only the first time it happened to me.

It's happened twice so far at this bank I'm going to tomorrow, but the lead teller loves me so if it happens again, I'll just show her and ask if she can do this for me. If not, no biggy, I'll just push through them. Maverick.

Mrs.CRH

Jul 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
My hands, ears, & eyes =D
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh I love this topic LOL We get many of these boxes but we still take them to keep our tellers happy. My husband hates going through them & sometimes will just turn around & dump them but I ALWAYS double check them because you never know what someone might miss.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh I love this topic LOL We get many of these boxes but we still take them to keep our tellers happy. My husband hates going through them & sometimes will just turn around & dump them but I ALWAYS double check them because you never know what someone might miss.

Hey Mrs.CRH, I allways take them, but I've just never asked about it or brought it up to her, I'm just wondering if she can kinda head them off at the pass, so to speak, if they happen to have some on the truck for somewhere else, like, uh, oh, I don't know, Orlando or something, Lmao, just kidding, maybe they would not pick the opened one to give me. Only reason I say they could pick another one is mine are usually opened and not sealed and the other one they deliver is still sealed. So if she sees it come in unsealed, she could ask the driver if he has any other ones on the truck that are sealed because she keeps getting shorted rolls. She may not do this, but, I've never asked or mentioned it. I don't know, if it happens again tomorrow, I may show her the box and just ask nicely, worst she can do is say she can't do anything, which would be fine. HH, Maverick.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why I think banks all should just let us use the coin,lock bags or there coin machines for free. Re rolling is inaccurate. If someone was so inclined they could make more money shorting rolls than hunting silver.

Mrs.CRH

Jul 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
My hands, ears, & eyes =D
Primary Interest:
Other
Maverick, you better not send that crap to us LOL I will cry & then hunt you down :P I'm not sure if the tellers can say something to the delivery guy or not. One of our tellers who knows why we CRH knows to tell us what the box looks like when we call on pick-up day but if she knows what kind we don't want don't you think she'd say something to them? Just a thought but it's worth a mention to them

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I kept getting boxes that were openned at one end for like 6 weeks and after I could see that the rolls had been gone through a couple of boxes and I was short a few coins I talked to the VT who did talk to the guy from the truck. He said that the trucks were loaded when they get there in the morning so there wasn't anything he could do about it but since then I haven't gotten an open box so it must have had some affect.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kept getting boxes that were openned at one end for like 6 weeks and after I could see that the rolls had been gone through a couple of boxes and I was short a few coins I talked to the VT who did talk to the guy from the truck. He said that the trucks were loaded when they get there in the morning so there wasn't anything he could do about it but since then I haven't gotten an open box so it must have had some affect.

I posted a thread awhile back about this happening to me. It started happening all at once, all the banks around town. Some rolls had an ender picked out of them. I think the couriers were replacing ender rolls with others

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Maverick, you better not send that crap to us LOL I will cry & then hunt you down :P I'm not sure if the tellers can say something to the delivery guy or not. One of our tellers who knows why we CRH knows to tell us what the box looks like when we call on pick-up day but if she knows what kind we don't want don't you think she'd say something to them? Just a thought but it's worth a mention to them

I just got home with the first 2 of the week, no dumps, so I guess I'll wait till it happens again to say anything ( hopefully it won't) to the vault teller, you never know though, if we allsay something and Brinks drivers start relaying the message to their bosses that there are constant complaints of shortages they may stop short cutting their process, guess we'll have to start saying something if it starts getting outta hand. I'm sure if it got back to Brinks that there are shortage issues someone would do something, maybe some there isn't doing their job and just hasn't been caught yet. HH, Maverick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread