Got out to the beach today.

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
Winter blues here in Mass, so I decided to hit the beach for the first time this winter. Found about 2 bucks in clad, a 1935 Buffalo head nickle and a couple of wheaties for coins. Found a nice suspender buckle in working condition. Has a date on it, which I assume is a pattent date. I think it says March 15th 1864. Found a couple of old buttons, but have to try and figure out the wording on them. Also found an earing, but don't think the diamond is real. :dontknow:
Thanks for looking and HH. :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• IMG_1812.JPG
    IMG_1812.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 799
  • IMG_1823.JPG
    IMG_1823.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 792
  • IMG_1841.JPG
    IMG_1841.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 815
  • IMG_1842.JPG
    IMG_1842.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 813
  • IMG_1843.JPG
    IMG_1843.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 836
  • IMG_1844.JPG
    IMG_1844.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 812
  • IMG_1845.JPG
    IMG_1845.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 812
  • IMG_1812.JPG
    IMG_1812.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 802
  • IMG_1823.JPG
    IMG_1823.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 799
Upvote 0

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer
I guess that's why they call it the blues. Time on your hands to get out and do what you like to do.
Very nice finds.
:icon_sunny: HH in 2010 :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
Garabaldi

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Thank you gents. :icon_thumleft:

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
looks like you found a very promising beach fellow mass hunter. please get bored and go back so we can see more finds ;D willy

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
wow I can't believe you are finding those great relics on a beach! congrats

U

umrgolf

plehbah said:
You have some Civil War belt keepers in there (the two identical brass items at the top center, just above the harmonica reeds). The types that go along with the U.S. belt plates. It also looks like you might have a couple of Civil War era military button backs.

I will have to look again at the various brass crusties, but you definitely have some interesting stuff there.

It looks like you might have stumbled across a G.A.R. encampment spot, or a wartime muster ground, or something. Those belt keepers do not turn up outside of military contexts nearly as often as the more striking and souvenir worthy belt buckles do.

plehbah, what is a belt keeper? if you would, what it is and where in the pic ???

U

umrgolf

plehbah said:
I have circled the possible military stuff in red, with the two keepers at the top.

He also has a button back which it would be helpful to know if there is a manufacturer mark on, and there is also a percussion cap. I am not sure of the lead bullet, but someone else may know.

It looks like there might be a smaller cuff sized button next to the percussion cap, but I cannot tell. There are other brass lantern pieces, etc., which definitely fit in better than the clad.

They did camp on beaches you know.....

thank you plehbah.. i had not a clue what it was :laughing9: k, im heading out to the 'banner' spot ;D .. have a good one

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Garabaldi :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

The diamond earing may be military :D

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plehbah said:
umrgolf2000 said:
plehbah said:
I have circled the possible military stuff in red, with the two keepers at the top.

He also has a button back which it would be helpful to know if there is a manufacturer mark on, and there is also a percussion cap. I am not sure of the lead bullet, but someone else may know.

It looks like there might be a smaller cuff sized button next to the percussion cap, but I cannot tell. There are other brass lantern pieces, etc., which definitely fit in better than the clad.

They did camp on beaches you know.....

thank you plehbah.. i had not a clue what it was :laughing9: k, im heading out to the 'banner' spot ;D .. have a good one

I take it you have found a couple of belt keepers in one of your spots?

The last time I found an area where I started digging up those keepers, I found a U.S. belt plate.
Plehbah is right. Hunt that spot again.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like the site has may more potential, time for a return hunt. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Garabaldi

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
I just noticed you had made a comment on that post. Most of the items I put on "what is it". One of the buttons " look like it is probably an EVANS back. Evan's took over Robinsons in 1847 so that back could date from then to just after the civil war". vayank
Another button with the loop on the back near the bullet is a scovill, which I have dug at this site before. You are right on with the clips also. Quote from Breezie, "Yes, VaYank is correct. The US adjusters were brass. Here is a website with pics:"
http://www.corinthcivilwarrelics.com/forsalemiscdug3.html
What is a "percussion cap" and what was it used for? Is it the artifact that is in the shape of a cross?

This site was a training site dating back pre American Revolution. I have found war of 1812 Light Artillery 1st regimen buttons.
Thanks plehbah. I was lazy and didn't update this post. :icon_thumleft:

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gota love those mercs! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread