Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
little sore from hunting all day Monday - but sun was out even though it was a little cold out - 34 degrees when I woke up
but figured snow may be right around the corner and decided to run out for a couple hours. Went to a small field behind a bunch of
early 1700s houses - someone had been there but it looked like they jumped around. Went to a small spot that I did not see any
foot prints. Got a few small musketballs and a couple of small butons. Then I got a nice coin sounding target. Dug down about 8 inches
- got it out of the hole and got pinpointer out - saw the rim and first thought coin but when I picked it up it seemed awfully thin - was definitely not a large cent or KG copper - so thought it was a button - but saw no shank or remnants of a shank - its really smooth.
I could make out outline of a bust - flipped it over and could make out what looked to be a crown on to of a harp.
After to getting it home and looking on line - it appears to be a William III half penny - 1696
Nothing to look at but at least I got a colonial coin. Don't know what the "K" came off of - don't know if could be military or not.
The half of a tombac button - when I saw in the dirt the silvery face of it was up and I thought I had a cut piece of silver.
The larger flat button is an oldie...the 2 small cuff flat buttons with star bursts were found bout 50 yrds apart. Was nice to get out
could have done better - could have done worse for 2-3 hrs.

Upvote 7
OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is what it would have looked like
J01131X4.jpg

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt congrats

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice copper Casper :occasion14: Funny you say that about the tombac, because that happens to me all the time. Cut silver can come in at all numbers on the Deus and those tombacs come out of the dirt in my area looking like patinaed old silver. ha

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on some nice finds. More then once a tombac got me thinking old silver when it popped out

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
K, might be military shoulder or lapel badge?

You got a broken 18th C drawer pull as well.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with that effort my friend. Anytime you pull a 1600s coin from the dirt is a pretty amazing day. Do you enjoy the land hunting as much as the water hunting?

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt, congregations on the William III. These late season hunts are both a blessing and a curse, aren't they? Its nice to have all the leaves down, and the grass and ferns dead on the ground, easy to swing over, but they're a sign the ground will be hard soon. Got to squeeze in as much coil time as possible before the snow. :icon_thumright:

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome, Casper! Love your finds. Congrats, -Lisa & John

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hard question to answer - been detecting land since 1975 at age 12
got into water hunting in 1995 (when got my first water machine - in late 70s early 80s floated and old land machine)
and in the late 90s hunted like 10% water - 90% land
now its like 10% land - 90% water
at my age now - water is a lot easier on the body - I feel less beat up than after a day of land hunting
in the water the thrill is mostly if you get gold (unless I can get into an old spot)
farm fields and cellar holes - almost every target can be a thrill - fields can be just as trashy though
I got a lot of can slaw from the last few hunts - a lot - filled my pouch 3 times

Nothing wrong with that effort my friend. Anytime you pull a 1600s coin from the dirt is a pretty amazing day. Do you enjoy the land hunting as much as the water hunting?

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
A W3 is a great find on our side of the pond. Great set of finds Cas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread