Got permission to hunt 1925 House need some advice

fllawboy

Feb 19, 2008
Weston, Florida
Detector(s) used
White MXT/Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got permission to hunt a 1925 home in South Florida. The house is one of the oldest in the area that I have been able to locate. When it was built in 1925 it was one of the biggest houses and was owned by the same family well into the 1980s. It has had 2 owners to date. I would like to have some suggestions on how best to hunt this property, as I will most likely have this weekend as my only shot at it. The owner's wife is away and he has told me to come by and see what I can find. Apparently he is very interested in what is hidden on the property and his wife is against having her lawn and yard dug up. At best this weekend because of work commitments I will have 5 to 6 hours total to hunt the property. Given the time constraints I would like some thoughts on how best to approach this site. I am intrigued by the site, as I strongly believe that no one has ever hunted it before as most treasure hunters down here stick to the beaches, parks and surf. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and I will post anything I find in a follow-up post.
Best regards,

Upvote 0

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Try the most used areas of the property first. Parking areas, any area used for outdoor activities such as picnics, parties etc... Areas traveled from cars to the house as well as the areas folks would sit around outside.

Good Luck.

Ray S

OP
OP
fllawboy

fllawboy

Feb 19, 2008
Weston, Florida
Detector(s) used
White MXT/Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent two hours at the house today, it was a nightmare. It had more hot rocks, sprinkler systems, and pipes than anywhere I have ever been. I could not get over the number of sprinkler pipes I encountered! I played with the gain, adjusted discrimination, but no luck. The sprinkler pipes and the other pipes I encountered kept coming up as Nickel/Ring on VDI or Penny/Dime on VDI. I used the 6x10 and found 2 Quarters (1973, 1990), 1 dime (1985), and 1 penny 1960. The only signals I was sure on were the Quarters, I just knew as soon as I heard them what they were. The dime and penny were iffy, because there were some pipes I had hit that gave the same sound and same VDI reading. The deepest coin I found was 4 inches. The foil in and around the house also made it a real treat to hunt. I had fun, but had at least expected to find a coin or two older than 1960. One thing I know for certain is that beer was plentiful at the house as I could not step two feet with out a screw cap or pull tab registering. There used to be a porch in the back, but now in it's place is a concrete driveway. It appeared that the soil around the house was not original. I live a few miles away and the soil is quite different,at my house the soil is very sandy, this soil almost appeared to be potting soil. I did not get any signals deeper than 6 inches, which I thought was strange.

I am debating about going back tomorrow to try the 4x6 shooter and the 12" spider. I do not know what to think of the location as a hunting spot, a little disappointing so far. My research had me convinced that I would find some older coins.

Back to the drawing board!

Yeasty

Oct 22, 2007
DELAWARE
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, CTX-17, CTX-6, E-Trac, Explorer SE , Sun Ray X-1 probes, FBS 800, WOT, Garrett Pro-Pointer and modified David Clark headphones
HEH, I got permission to hunt a promising site that was an old JUKE JOINT which was leveled several years ago. You would think beer + whiskey would at least equal some pocket drops or some rings flung from marital spats, but noooooooooooooooo! Every signal rang as a quarter but wound up being a whole, folded, beer can!! Hundreds of them at 6" deep!! I had the SE programmed for pennies, dimes, and quarters ONLY and an 8" coil but no help. I may go back later and only hit the very edges of the site.

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007
A small coil would help if you have one. Otherwise, work slow and get the junk out of the way so you can pick up the deep, good targets. Work the areas that should have the best chance for good targets. Talk to the owners to find out where everyone used to congregate. I'm working an old motor court that was built in the late 30's. It has more junk in the ground than a metal scrap yard. As I'm cleaning out the junk, the older coins are starting to come. I went out the first time with a larger coil and couldn't even find a clear place to ground balance. The smaller coil made a major difference.

Good hunting, John K

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
don,t give up.....persistence will pay off...be patient

good luck

db

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread