Got permissions to detect the local practice field.

critter0527

Aug 24, 2013
The only problem is, I don't know what to expect. I was given strict permission. I get to detect 1 time, from 3 to 6 pm tomorrow night. I'm still a new detector and I don't want to blow it.

The field has been used to pratice all sports and marching band since 1985. I used it when I was in school! It's getting resurfaced at 6pm tomorrow. They do it one time every year. It's done with a bull sizer rolling machine. I expect the ground to be tough. The principal said I didn't have to fill in holes as its going to be plowed and rolled when I was finished.

It had no grass, and very little rocks. Do you guys think this is a dig every signal kind of situation? 3 hours isn't enough time for low and slow.

I'm nervous. I'm going to fill in the holes anyway. It's good for the image in the long run...

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never know!! if you are in a historical area, you're chances are lot better that you will find something good, i'm sure there was some sort of 19th c. or even 17th c. activity on the property before the school... but.. i think you are right!! if you are hunting a high school field or something, chances are it's been scrapped pretty darn good but you never know.. i.e. if the property was once used during the Civil War or Rev War for camp, battle area or even a skirmish, then 130 years later they build a school on top of it, etc.. You could pick up signals 12+ inches in the ground that the scrapper missed like a big brass object/cannonball,etc... Since I live in a very historical area of the Civil War i have heard numerous stories of cannonballs and buckles being found right on a high school/park football,soccer field, tennis court areas, etc where some new digger will get permission real quick cause they are tearing up their old football field or tennis court and then.. all of a sudden.. they find a cannonball,buckles,big brass/iron objects, etc. Depending on how deep the field was scraped back in the day there could possibly be a historical artifact there! Maybe one day you can pull up old land records,maps,etc @ the library and figure out what was on the school property before it was a school.. you may be shocked if you are a in historical area..

Correct, I have been Hunting a ball field in my area, which has never seen Civil war action,
But there was training that went on there.

Recently they Dug to put in an underground Power line & dug a Civil War bayonet.
confirmed & donated to the historical society.
So you just never know what is there. you just have to be lucky to swing over it.

sandy shoes

Jun 6, 2013
gloucester mass
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you did not let anyone down the point is you had fun and you where learning your machine and take your 1.84 throw it in a jar you finds will add up and you can get your self a digger or a pro pointer with time it is the only hobby i know that you make money at .good luck and i wish you great hunting.

Threshold

Mar 3, 2012
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garret Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmm doesn't the plow damage any coins you would find? But I guess you would still have melt value of whatever precious metals you find.
Best of luck,
Threshold

-just saw you hit the spot already. A sturdy hand shovel is a must. I bought a real thick metal one after having a couple others break on me. SoCal has some hard ground.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Petrified ground eh? Welcome to my world! Just out of curiousity, what is their reason for only giving you a 3 hour window to detect in? If it's just dirt, and it's going to be plowed anyway, what are they worried about? Even after it's been "resurfaced". what harm is there in making a recovery as long as you smooth the dirt out again? What is the area used for?

OhioDigger24

Sep 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would do what other say spend more time cherry picking then for about an hour dig up anything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread