Got ran out of my first park

Spidey

Feb 20, 2007
Omaha
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
In a fairly exclusive neighborhood, I was detecting. To be honest, I have to say that a couple of weeks ago I was there with a small shovel for a digger, and I mangled a few holes. I'm getting better, but I went back last night with my new lesche digging tool.

After about 40 minutes I see a guy walk up to me. "What are you doing?", he asked.

"What's it look like I'm doing?", I replied

"Looks like you're digging holes"

"Point out a hole I've dug tonight and I'll gladly fix it..."

To that, he said "I've gotten complaints, and you're not going to dig up our park".

I responded "I don't have a right to be here?"

"Do you live here? You're not digging up our park"

Just then I got a signal. As I bent down he scurried off "I'm going to call the cops".

"Knock yourself out, sir", I replied, as he walked away.

I then finished finding my last target, a piece of junk metal, and left. I really don't like how the encounter turned out. I have always thought of stuff I'd say...but that kind of went out the window when this guy walked up. I won't be going back there (at least for awhile). I feel bad for damaging some of the grass--but last night I dug much better plugs with my new digging tool. I suppose I probably should have just apologized and left.

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call the local police and find out if you can detect city parks and see if it is a city property.. If it is and they say O.K. then ask for a written note stating that..thats what I did..
Ray

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF I really felt I needed to detect there again.
I would Stop in at the Police station
and ask if there is a Law in the books against
"Metal Detecting" in the City Parks.

IF they say you need to talk to the Parks Comittee.
Go there and ask if there is a Law against it.

IF they say yes, Ask to see it.

the Downside is IF they have a problem,
but can't legally stop you.
they most likely will try to push a law through
at their next meeting.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
A little less attitude next time might be better ;D

I know whenever I ask a question like "hey, what are you doing" and I get a response like "what does it look like", I automatically think that the person I'm dealing with is a smartass... and my attitude changes considerably. I wasn't there, and don't know the tone of either of you, but I would tend to think that neither was "happy and friendly"

steve

OP
OP
Spidey

Spidey

Feb 20, 2007
Omaha
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
spez401 said:
A little less attitude next time might be better ;D

I know whenever I ask a question like "hey, what are you doing" and I get a response like "what does it look like", I automatically think that the person I'm dealing with is a smartass... and my attitude changes considerably. I wasn't there, and don't know the tone of either of you, but I would tend to think that neither was "happy and friendly"

steve

I know. In hindsight I could have handled it much differently. It didn't need to devolve to the type of situation that it did.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
spidey...

don't worry too much about it. We've all done the same, or similar, things. I have a whole list of witty comebacks and smart-assed comments for people. They tend to slip out when I'm annoyed or people piss me off...

it happens

steve

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i was there and that guy talked to me like that i would i would >:( probably walk away and leave :) AA

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spez401 said:
spidey...

don't worry too much about it. We've all done the same, or similar, things. I have a whole list of witty comebacks and smart-assed comments for people. They tend to slip out when I'm annoyed or people piss me off...

it happens

steve
We must be twins..lo

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
true, less attitude never hurts. But there always has to be someone that wants to be the alpha dog. I haven't had a nasty encounter yet. Hopefully I don't. But as previously stated, knowing the laws and having permission from the proper person will give you the upper hand every time.

better luck next time!

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
Detect early in the morning and you will avoid most people (and problems).

Good luck don't let the jerks get to you.

OP
OP
Spidey

Spidey

Feb 20, 2007
Omaha
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
ericwt said:

If you knew how much I am not a morning person you'd laugh right now at the thought of that.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Wait a second who was this guy????? If he was just some goof....I would have kept on detecting! I was digging today in the sand behind home plate and heard a guy say look at him digging up our sod! I was digging in the sand...there is always a goof in the crowd!

OP
OP
Spidey

Spidey

Feb 20, 2007
Omaha
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
It's a park by a private lake. I think the lake is private...but the park is public.

I had just about finished hunting, so it wasn't that big of a deal. I'll probably head back in a month or so.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Spidey said:
It's a park by a private lake. I think the lake is private...but the park is public.

I had just about finished hunting, so it wasn't that big of a deal. I'll probably head back in a month or so.

I would go back and if he gives you a hard time again...>have a cell phone? turn the tables and call the police on him! ;)

Gretchen

Aug 2, 2004
He was right to kick you out. What right do you have to dig holes in their grass. I stay out of the grass in our parks and ball fields. I pay taxes through Parks and Recreation to keep the fields looking beautiful. I have found plenty of silver and 2 gold rings in beaches and coins in school yards.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Gretchen said:
He was right to kick you out. What right do you have to dig holes in their grass. I stay out of the grass in our parks and ball fields. I pay taxes through Parks and Recreation to keep the fields looking beautiful. I have found plenty of silver and 2 gold rings in beaches and coins in school yards.

Are you serious ??? ??? So you are saying Spidey should not hunt in PUBLIC PARKS ..... ??? ::) I think your response will get some even more interesting responses... ;D

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Spidey said:
ericwt said:

If you knew how much I am not a morning person you'd laugh right now at the thought of that.

Then go at night unless the park rules prohibt it, it is cooler, less people around to bother you and as long as you use headphones no one will know you are there.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gretchen said:
Kinda hard to believe this response...Then..I pay taxes to help replenish our beaches and to schools to keep them up...what right have YOU got to DIG HOLES in these places..If you want to do the right thing..dig all the holes you want in YOUR OWN backyard.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
SC_hunter said:
Gretchen said:

Did a detectorist actually write this mess? Come on. What right? People like this are why the governments are cutting down more and more on where you can and cannot detect. What right do I have? Did you notice the word PUBLIC in public parks? I pay taxes too, a LOT of taxes, I do not think digging a few small plugs in my local park is any more destructive than say the rugby guys tearing the heck out of the football area or the ruts left by cars that park on ther grounds during the district fair. Have you walked through your beautiful fields lately and took a hard look at all the foil, trash, pop-tops, pull tabs and other misc tash that your lovely citizens throw on the ground during your games? I went to a local soccer park and couldn't detect for all of the trash! What is this obcession with grass? Grass is just that grass. Ooh I guess I am just in a touchy mood tonight but I just cannot believe that someone who enjoys the hobby of detecting would think something like this and write it. Sorry not trying to offend, but come on. What are you going to do when they run you off of school lots?? And what about when they recquire a permit to detect and only allow you two hours during the morning to detect???

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digging any holes in the grass of a park is not the best for our hobby no matter how neat you are, someone is going to see the shovel or digging tool and accuse you of more damage than you've done. We should save the digging tools for fields or woods and stick to screw drivers and probes in the pretty grass. Even if we have the go ahead to hunt a certain property whether it is public or private, we need to treat it like our own front yard and try to keep it neat or we'll only get to hunt our own property in the future.

Attachments

• fillholes (Small).jpg
    fillholes (Small).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 179
  • fillholes (Small).jpg
    fillholes (Small).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 194

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread