Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was detecting along some vacant houses scheduled to be moved by the state this morning. The land was purchased by the state for widening of I44 through Tulsa. There were no workmen on site and no equipment being operated. I have hunted these sites many times in the past and being land paid for by the tax payers we own it and I have never had anyone tell me I couldn't hunt there. A little blond headed female security guard approached me and asked what I was doing. I told her I was metal detecting. She said that I was on "restricted" land and couldn't metal detect there. I asked her by whom it was restricted and why. She just knew it was restricted by the "state". She was wearing a blue uniform identical to the Tulsa Police Department which in itself is illegal, and I thought she was a policewoman until I saw the word "Security" across the back of herjacket. I asked her what department in the state had restricted the area and why there weren't any signs up anywhere. She said there was signs, but I looked around and couldn't find any. She didn't know what department, just the state. I asked if maybe it was ODOT and she said yeah. I don't think she even knew what ODOT is. Anyway I left and didn't give her any trouble although I felt like it. I sent a very professional type inquiry to the Director of ODOT expressing my disapproval and asking by what authority the land I bought and paid for was restricted from a harmless pasttime. So far I haven't heard back from them but it is Saturday and there is probably no one in the office until Monday. Just a heads up for all you Oklahoma hunters. Monty

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Monty said:
I was detecting along some vacant houses scheduled to be moved by the state this morning. The land was purchased by the state for widening of I44 through Tulsa. There were no workmen on site and no equipment being operated. I have hunted these sites many times in the past and being land paid for by the tax payers we own it and I have never had anyone tell me I couldn't hunt there. A little blond headed female security guard approached me and asked what I was doing. I told her I was metal detecting. She said that I was on "restricted" land and couldn't metal detect there. I asked her by whom it was restricted and why. She just knew it was restricted by the "state". She was wearing a blue uniform identical to the Tulsa Police Department which in itself is illegal, and I thought she was a policewoman until I saw the word "Security" across the back of herjacket. I asked her what department in the state had restricted the area and why there weren't any signs up anywhere. She said there was signs, but I looked around and couldn't find any. She didn't know what department, just the state. I asked if maybe it was ODOT and she said yeah. I don't think she even knew what ODOT is. Anyway I left and didn't give her any trouble although I felt like it. I sent a very professional type inquiry to the Director of ODOT expressing my disapproval and asking by what authority the land I bought and paid for was restricted from a harmless pasttime. So far I haven't heard back from them but it is Saturday and there is probably no one in the office until Monday. Just a heads up for all you Oklahoma hunters. Monty

As usual you would think that we would own because it is state land ..but that is not how it works...just another example of how government steals your money.....

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Just because you may 'feel' that you 'own' the land because it is bought with 'taxpayer' dollars, doesn't mean it's open season to do whatever you want with it.

The same people who will cry it's MY land, will be the first to sue the government for every penny they can, when they trip, fall, and skin their knee on the land... because the ::cough:: government didn't put down carpeting or whatever to protect their fall... on their land.... or whatever...

This kind of stuff leads the government to making the land, off limits, except for those who have a legit reason to be there, ie the builders, etc who will be working the land.

Tax dollars paid for it so it's yours, tell you what, goto a national historical spot, or a state park. oh lets just say st augustine for example, tell them, I paid for this park, it's MY money so I can detect here any time I want... see how far that gets you. Or better yet, goto arlington national cemetary, or the white house lawn, afterall they both were paid for by taxpayer dollars, so it's yours right? and dig there, see how far you get.

Oh and I wonder just how much vandalism and theft has been done to 'government properties' under construction ....by individuals... who have every right to be there because it's their land because they may pay taxes...

Aaron

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
Dang no kiddin!!!! A weee bit carried away. Whos side are you on anyway Aaron? Monty wasnt hurting a soul. If there had been construction of any sort going on then i could see him being ask to leave, but there wasnt.

I do see what your saying about the vandals and what not messing things up but dang.

Monty dont worry about it. Her husband was prolly coming in from drinking as she was leaving for work so she was in a bad mood and you were the first person she came accross. when and if you get a response from the DOT folks lets us know. im kinda curious as to what they have to say.

And from now on from what Aaron says your not even allowed to park on the side of the road anymore. So if you get a flat you better ride that sucker till you get to the house.

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
Hey Monty,

Welcome to the civilian side.
There always seems to be a cop or a wannabe cop, that enjoys using their authority over us, even if we are not really doing anything wrong. Sad but true.

We are glad we got to meet you at the CTH. Take care buddy.

Tom

tjcnok

Sep 29, 2007
The reason they won't let people on the site is because a couple weeks ago a truck driver was cleaning his asphault apron and was killed by a track hoe. Becco Construction of Tulsa is being investigated by OSHA and also by the state of Oklahoma.

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
tj thanks for posting that, simple enough reason, makes perfect sense too, but wow you killed all their theories of government oppression around every corner! damned that common sense thing!!! it sure ruins a lot of fun...

take care and happy detecting.
aaron

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
Darn,

And I enjoy a good government conspiracy ;) :D ;D

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Still it aint right. I should be able to detect on non historicaly protected state owned property, Highway widening/costruction, roadside parks. I doubt Texas will ever get there stuff together enough to do something positive for the hobby, but it aint right.

nickel67

Dec 7, 2007
Monty , I came across the same situation when CDOT bought a bunch of houses to widen I-25.The difference is I got permission from the Assistant supervisor of the project.I waited for an opportunity to go and talk to him , he was a little relunctant to give permission because of liability.Well the person who was doing the demo work was an aquaintance,so he vouged for me.I didn't know he was doing the demo work,he just happened by when I was talking to the super.What luck.I told the super what i was going to do as far as filling my holes, removing trash etc..I was given permission to MD all the properties.This went on for @ 2 months , and it was fantastic!!!! Then one day I showed up to do some MD and the super was there ,well sometime during the weekend another MDer was out there when the big Super was there ..The big super asked the assistant super if that was the person who had permission and the answer was no..They walked over to the MDer and asked him what he was doing ,he told them and he showed them what he had found..They explained to him that he didn't have permission and his response was he had seen others MDers out there ,probabaly me, well one thing led to another ,the cops were called, his machine was impounded and nickel67 could no longer MD on property I had permission to... What I understand is that the other MDer got beligerant about the fact that he had seen other's out there and hadn't got harassed and got ugly with the state guys.I was told that he didn't fill his holes , so then that became a bigger liability for the state..We live in a litigious society.Unfortunately, that has become a fact of life .

Shott1970

Dec 12, 2007
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Monty,

Being a member of the Oklahoma County Sheriff OfficeI can tell you that do to the increased theft of copper wires and vandalism that goes on, on these sites they do hire private security companies to protect whatever they have there if anything. Just because you may not have seen it, we had some people pretending to be OGE employees who were digging up the buried wires for there copper. Just a thought. And please dont hate the little security gaurds who are only making 6 to 7 dollars an hour. They really dont have a clue to what they are doing. :wink:

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally got back ont the state property and didn't get run off. By now grass is knee high and digging is almost impossible. I did manage some clad, some crappe' and some junque. Too hot to fight the weeds and bugs now. Again this fall when the frost flies? Monty

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a retird cop myself shott and I know all about security guards and what they make. I also know some of them think they are police officers and are smart a_ _es. This little gal was very nice, just didn't know what she was doing and for whom. I talked to the state Director of ODOT about it and he assured me that after the houses were all gone that there would be no problem. I have been back since and found a few wheaties and some clad, that's about all. Once they remove the houses, the dozers disturb the ground so much it's really hard to find anything. But such is life I guess? Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread