got some gold by accident

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you will allow a dead man to tell a little tale...

I walked into my old dump bank to use the coin machine to dump my loose change bucket. I asked the tellers if they had anything "fun" for me. Now I haven't been in this bank for, I guess, 2 - 3 months. The first teller says two dollar bills. The second says gold quarters.

I respond gold dollars? No gold quarters. Let me see them.

Sure enough she brings out gold quarters in US Mint wrappers. $120 worth. Uncirculated!

Here is the breakdown

Ohio 1 roll each P & D
Idaho 1 roll each P & D
Florida 1 roll each P & D
Michigan 3 rolls each P & D

I have never heard of these. My Redbook is packed away (house is for sale). Can anybody shine some light on these, and help an old CRHer out.

Thanks
Pdiddy

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Piercesdad said:
Makes sense but I'm not sure I want to sacrifice a roll if I'm not sure

That's your best bet. And disregard Brady Boy's comment. Those wrappers are legit US Mint Statehood Quarter program. The real value to what you have is the fact that they are indeed wrapped by the Mint and are likely to be in top mint state grade.

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
Pdiddy, I had the same thing happen to me here in Nevada a few months ago with legit U.S. mint rolls of 2005 buffalo nickels I recieved from one of my supply banks. I too wondered why they appeared gold colored. I didn't break open the rolls, but as stated above I figured it was just some kind of wierd toning.

OP
OP
47thelement

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time to sacrifice!

OP
OP
47thelement

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG!!!!!!I carefully opened one roll. Many of you were right. The end coins were toned. I scored some uncirculated State Quarters!

Maybe I can find some poor soul who will buy them at a premium. On second thought the wife will probably want to keep 'em.

I'm headin' back to the beach y'all, the girls wear less clothes there.

Have fun at the banks, Be kind to the tellers

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bradyboy said:
As far as I'm concerned, the coin wrappers are no where close to US govt. issued
called golden coins, collectable, so they say - in magazines and newspapers
Maybe gold clad, marked up a outrageous prices, not to mention the shipping cost.
:icon_scratch:

Piercesdad said:
Time to sacrifice!
Indeed, I would. Either way toned or whatever, you'll never know unless you do sacrifice one.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Well welcome back Lazarus. I thought you had written us all off. Does this mean we are forgiven? For what it is worth the over all tone of the forum has shifted back to lest hostile. I think all the trouble makers are layin low.

golden silver

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
golden silver said:
Well welcome back Lazarus. I thought you had written us all off. Does this mean we are forgiven? For what it is worth the over all tone of the forum has shifted back to lest hostile. I think all the trouble makers are layin low.

golden silver

Was wondering about that. You said your farewell a few months back. Glad to see you back posting.

OP
OP
47thelement

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Insert Quote
I'm the one who should be asking for forgivness. That was a pretty rotten way to walk away. Thinking about starting to hunt the banks again but the girlks at the beach are just so pretty.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Piercesdad said:
OMG!!!!!!I carefully opened one roll. Many of you were right. The end coins were toned. I scored some uncirculated State Quarters!

Maybe I can find some poor soul who will buy them at a premium. On second thought the wife will probably want to keep 'em.

I'm headin' back to the beach y'all, the girls wear less clothes there.

Have fun at the banks, Be kind to the tellers

If you thinking of selling the rolls, keep the open one for demonstration purposes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread