Got Stampeded by Some Buffalo

Mrs.CRH

Jul 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
My hands, ears, & eyes =D
Primary Interest:
Other
Did my first box of nickels with the husband & while I didn't pull any war nickels I did find my first buffalo nickel & then my second in the next roll. Too bad they are dateless :/ But still a first for me =D

IMG_8095.JPG IMG_8096.JPG

IMG_8097.JPG IMG_8098.JPG

Upvote 0

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! I dug one up one time (no date either), made me quite happy. I love the artwork on them.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Try putting them in vinegar or getting some Nic-a-Date. Nice job, love finding buffalo nickels!

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Try Nic A Date. I had two dateless sitting around, one turned out to be a 1915, and the other a 1916. Sometimes Nic A date wont work so soak them in straight vinegar for a few days using a q tip when stuff build up in the date area to wipe it away, and the date will slowly appear

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
MrSchulz said:
... one turned out to be a 1915, and the other a 1916....

Oddly enough, my two dateless ones were a 1915 and 1916 too. If vinegar still isn't enough, a salt/vinegar mix would work too, but it is much more abrasive.

OP
OP
Mrs.CRH

Mrs.CRH

Jul 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks everyone. I think I'll try the vinegar first but I read that it sometimes takes up to 8 weeks? How long did ya'll soak yours?

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome coins, dateless or not, still a real cool design... makes me wish that nickels were not solid 2012 rolls here! I used to do 1-2 nickel boxes per week until May, since then i've picked up 1 box per month all solid 2012 from different banks.
hh
buff

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Mrs.CRH said:
Thanks everyone. I think I'll try the vinegar first but I read that it sometimes takes up to 8 weeks? How long did ya'll soak yours?

A few days on mine, but if its really tough to get, the salt/vinegar is best.

OP
OP
Mrs.CRH

Mrs.CRH

Jul 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry BuffBoy!! Hope things start getting better for you & you stop seeing those pesky 2012's. And thanks Boris for the input. I'll try it out & update ya'll if anything turns up.

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try Nic A Date. I had two dateless sitting around, one turned out to be a 1915, and the other a 1916. Sometimes Nic A date wont work so soak them in straight vinegar for a few days using a q tip when stuff build up in the date area to wipe it away, and the date will slowly appear

How does one do Nic-a-date? I didnt see this in FAQ post.

Last edited:

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
How does one do Nic-a-date? I didnt see this in FAQ post.

Buy the bottle on ebay, its like 7 bucks, then drop it on the area where the date is, and in about 15 seconds it should show

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Buff there, I've only found 1 myself, but I don't search nickels that often, I only have 10 war nicks too. Maverick.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks, ha, but i bet when the 2012 nickels roll out, no doubt the 2013 nickels will woll in! brinks is the only carrier that has circulated nickels and all the banks are garda in my area except one small local bank but they don't like giving out coins.
Sorry BuffBoy!! Hope things start getting better for you & you stop seeing those pesky 2012's. And thanks Boris for the input. I'll try it out & update ya'll if anything turns up.

OP
OP
Mrs.CRH

Mrs.CRH

Jul 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That sucks Buff! I'd be happy to sell you some nickels to search :P jk On another note instead of just creating a whole new thread I decided I'd post on here my first war nickel. Just to clarify I am JUST starting to help my husband CRH so this is why I get so excited finding my first coins. It's not that we've never found them before...it's just that these are the first time I am pulling them out of roles =D

IMG_8102.JPG IMG_8104.JPG

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome find... i remember way back when I was 6 or so, my father would bring home change from work each day when he bought lunch, he always had back in change 2 quarters, a dime, and a nickel.(i still don't know why he got the same thing every day!), but anyway, i noticed one day the one nickel looked funny, i kept it, and about 10 years later i found out the nickel was made during WW2 and had silver in it, at that time I was into coin collecting, so i thought it was cool! now if only I knew about silver quarters and dimes!

i think the nickel was 1945-S

44_Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The only time that I have ever searched nickels I found a very nice 36 buffalo. It's nicer than any buffalo that I already had in my collection.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The only time that I have ever searched nickels I found a very nice 36 buffalo. It's nicer than any buffalo that I already had in my collection.

I've found some VF buffs nothing much better though

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That sucks Buff! I'd be happy to sell you some nickels to search :P jk On another note instead of just creating a whole new thread I decided I'd post on here my first war nickel. Just to clarify I am JUST starting to help my husband CRH so this is why I get so excited finding my first coins. It's not that we've never found them before...it's just that these are the first time I am pulling them out of roles =D

View attachment 662622 View attachment 662623

Nice Job! I remember when I found my first war nickel, I had accidently unknowingly put it in the dump bag, and had to research the bag to find it :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread