Got the bucket lister! ''The Two Tens'' - My best preserved Burgoyne's Army button.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
With the last possible hunt this year, decided to hit an area where I have found an other Burgoyne's Army button a few months back.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/556501-rare-type-revolutionary-war-button-amazing-condition.html
The spot is a long drive from my usual hunting grounds and with a very limited daylight this time of year I couldn't expect a long hunt. Not sure why I went after all but something was calling me there. The plowed field was partially frozen so had to concentrate around the patches of land on the sides of the field where it was still relatively soft. As I said in my previous post for some reason Deus just loves partially frozen ground, the signals were clear and I could easily separate the deep iron from the non ferrous. I put the machine on the deepest setting and started scanning the ground. After 40 min. of the hunt got a nice deep signal, in the small coin range. From a pinpointer depth removed the chunk of earth containing the find. I could only see a silver edge of a medium sized item so the first thought that went through my mind was ''an other Real''. You can imagine how excited I was at that point. Carefully removed the earth from the item only to realize that it's something I have never found before but certainly not a coin. Than it hit me...An other 20th!
I couldn't believe my eye's. Even with the earth still stuck to it the button looked in absolutely amazing condition.

20171211_185215[3701].jpg

It's my first Revolutionary War British 20th Regiment of Foot wreath design button.

DSC_0089.JPG 20171211_185335[3700].jpg

The condition of this thing is stunning. Every leaf of the raised pattern wreath is clearly visible, same goes for the XX At first I thought I damaged it with my shovel as its circle seemed a bit out of shape, but after washing the dirt off it seems to be cast this way. Again, I believe the depth combined with lack of oxygen made sure it did not deteriorate after almost 250 years spent in the ground. The regiment history and the almost miraculous conservation state of such a delicate ''raised'' pattern makes me think it's my favorite Revolutionary War find since I started detecting. (I hope my other buttons won't mind me saying that :laughing7:)

20171213_185109[3718].jpg
Inked20171213_161315[3690]_LI.jpg
Ref: Insignia of independence (Troiani,Kochan)

As you have probably guessed, super excited about my latest Revolutionary War relic. A great closing of the season! :headbang:

P.S. And here's the weather in Quebec.
20171213_174114[3716].jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 55

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a few of this type but that is 10 times nicer condition than any of mine - very nice!

When you say few I assume you mean early British numbered and not specifically 20th regiment?

I don't like to never say never but based on what I've seen here over 17 years here condition like that, or anything close, is an impossibility out of a farm field. I believe the only hope could be pasture or woods, and we havn't seen it from pastures yet, and very rarely hunt in the woods. Basically never. That's why finding my two 42nd buttons a while back was bitter sweet because it was the one time the site extended into the woods and I dug a couple of Rev War military.. so it was the one chance for one that was actually round, and maybe even nice. But wasn't to be.

Last edited:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Un-f-ing-believable!!!! That’s a beautiful button bud

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have racked up quite a collection of Rev War buttons this year. If you keep this rate up, you'll be able to write your own book soon.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Awesome find! If that isn't a Banner, I don't know what is.

moreb

Nov 15, 2017
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
F75
Minelab Sovereign GT
Troy Shadow X5
Fisher 1266X
Garrett Freedom 2
Garrett Deepseeker ADS ll
Garrett Deepseeker TR/VLF
D-Tex RS 200
Garrett Groundhog TR/VLF
A.H. Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is beautiful. Congratulations.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find , your button and the NC rev war button found this month are in my opinion the best finds this year.

Wrecka

Jun 22, 2017
Gold Coast Queensland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not a button man and confess i know nothing about them but your excitement is infectious and i cannot help but share in your sense of joy , well done m8

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your messing with us now, the 8" snow, -20C temps and popping an awesome button as this. Congrats on the beauty and season ender!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you say few I assume you mean early British numbered and not specifically 20th regiment?

I don't like to never say never but based on what I've seen here over 17 years here condition like that, or anything close, is an impossibility out of a farm field. I believe the only hope could be pasture or woods, and we havn't seen it from pastures yet, and very rarely hunt in the woods. Basically never. That's why finding my two 42nd buttons a while back was bitter sweet because it was the one time the site extended into the woods and I dug a couple of Rev War military.. so it was the one chance for one that was actually round, and maybe even nice. But wasn't to be.

I think my memory fails me, I thought I had a couple of scabby pewter ones. I haven't looked in the collection but the only pictured one I can find is below. (Silver plated version)

Attachments

• Silver XX.JPG
    Silver XX.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 110
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
when you come out swinging for the fences and hit a home run like that!
that's out of the park!

fantastic find!
lots of nice stuff coming out these days

This type of find sure makes me happy. Agree, lots of great finds.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think my memory fails me, I thought I had a couple of scabby pewter ones. I haven't looked in the collection but the only pictured one I can find is below. (Silver plated version)

Is there a backmark on that?

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your messing with us now, the 8" snow, -20C temps and popping an awesome button as this. Congrats on the beauty and season ender!

Thanks pepperj
Trust me, I haven't hunted for a few days now. Can't even get my car out of the snowbank. Was fortunate enough to get out on the last day before the storm and the cold weather. The season is over, no doubts about it.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That's freaking awesome. I think we got ourselves an unknown example of the Rev War officers pattern. Great find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread