Got to Checking the Ravines: Several look Promising

vonfatman

Jul 21, 2023
KCMO Area
Primary Interest:
Other
Just a few days ago, it was suggested to check on old Topo maps to locate old (now long dry) springs or the like. A solid piece of advice IMHO.

The suggestion got me walking the lea sides of the East-West hill tops Then further down to the bottom of the ravines. It was pretty eye opening and just really cool.

Within 75 yards of our home is one of these dry ravines. I had never walked it with rocks in mind. It appears like water may have at one time or another flowed but I am no hydrologist.

Using a forked stick, I cleared several areas down the center of the ravine (lots of leaves - it is in a tree'd ares) and saw what looked like several fire rings, (remember, this is the Sioux quartzite guy blab'n) There were many 'tells' including small cobble scrapers, chert, flake and the like. Should be fun to check these spots out. I have to 'move' and get them check out during the cooler winterish months to avoid the snakes. They do not appreciate my nosing around.

The Point:
if you have permission to look on areas that have hills and ravines, it might be good to assume that water ran down every ravine and make time to check them out. You might be the first one to hang out in a really cool spot in a very long time. Very long.

vfm

Attachments

• IMG_6917.jpeg
    IMG_6917.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6918.jpeg
    IMG_6918.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6919.jpeg
    IMG_6919.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6920.jpeg
    IMG_6920.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6921.jpeg
    IMG_6921.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6923.jpeg
    IMG_6923.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 22
Upvote 0

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure what you're showing. Is that where you are seeing the fire rings? I don't think that's what they are. Especially if they are just on the surface, and even more especially if they are located in that ravine.

OP
OP
V

vonfatman

Jul 21, 2023
KCMO Area
Primary Interest:
Other
I absolutely may be wrong. I usually am. I just photographed what these areas looked like and shared what they it felt like to me......and that won't buy ya a cup of coffee anywhere.

The purpose of my post was to provide a current example of what Mr. Creekside brought up regarding old Topos. and the info. they hold.

By walking at the bottom of a couple ravines here, I was able to locate some new (to me) areas of interest. Others may have similar success. I really hope they do.

It was never about campfire rings or any particular item.

I hope that was semi-clear?

Thanks.

vfm

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure, no worries. I love exploring areas like that myself. That's some of my favorite kind of country (which is good, since the woods around here are covered with it). Lot of interesting rock formations and slides and whatnot. Few artifacts, though. All the artifacts I've ever found have been on high ground near a water source (or somewhere in between there and the water source).

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they were attracted to water in the ravines in the past, they probably wouldn’t have made fire in the stream, but still if there are any gravel bars/areas it may be worth a look because ravines are still areas where sediment (including any artifacts they contain) is being funneled to.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I think it looks like a great area to explore. Sometimes old dumps are found in ravines as well. You should have fun digging around that spot for a while. A metal detector would help with the dump hunting. 👍🏼

OP
OP
V

vonfatman

Jul 21, 2023
KCMO Area
Primary Interest:
Other
Great suggestions.
One of the ravines did have a trash dump. I was picking up several glass shards as I moved leaves. Gotta wear gloves! I have never owned a metal detector. The closest I come to the excitement of those bells and whistles is the sifter....it can be exciting too in a slower kinda way.
There is an old farmstead area (the deed shows late 1830's) with a cemetery. Both of these are on our farm. The buildings are long gone. 11 of the 12 folks lying in the cemetery were buried before the Civil War. It might be a good place to look as well.

Regarding the bottom of the ravine. That is a great thought. I have been staying up top (lea area) where the ground is less steep. These areas do not have a large watershed and thus the "ravine" is just slopes in this area. As I go down hill the grade is much steeper and I will be surprised if I see much other than what has blown down hill in storms etc....it is amazing what fast moving water can do with a heavy rock!

I will be checking in the gravel bars below each ravine and may set up my tripod and sifter if the gravel looks promising. Great idea. Thank you.
We do not sift ground that is in place, just the sand and gravel piles. "Soil in transit" so to speak.
Too much erosion already.

vfm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread