Got to hunt a dream site today (2 wheats so far)

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
A few weeks ago I was scouting this town for hunt sites and I saw what looked like a great site. There was a large old high school gymnasium and next to it an old football field. There were concrete support structures for the bleachers and all the seating was gone!!!! I assume the seating was old wooden planks that were removed. There was nothing to obstruct the ground where the old seating was. Well, I didn't hunt it then, but today I drove through the town again and I stopped at the county health clinic and asked if they knew whether the property was still public or if it was private. She said the county mowed it. Ok, so now I know it is public. As I drove around to the other side I see a pickup with a mower in a trailer and on the side of the pickup it says, XXXX County Building Maintenance. I pull up and the guy was just getting out. I asked him if anyone would care if I hunted the field with my metal detector. He was like no, go for it. Wahooo, I'm in.

The only area I could search today was the area under where the bleacher seating was. Lots of trash. There happened to be a garbage can with wheels there so as I detected I pulled the garbage can along and threw the trash in there. Today I got a handful of clad and two wheat cents. I plan on going back, hopefully tomorrow.

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Thats a good start.If those schools and parks were smart ,they would seed their grounds for us....I would pick up their trash all day if I was finding stuff! ;)

DKinPA

Aug 21, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Minelab ETrac & Tesoro Silver UMax
Sounds like you have a great area to hunt for some time. Don't overlook the areas beside and below the seating areas.......that's where all the kids were allowed to play at my old high school field.

Good Luck!!

Dave

christophernixon

Nov 20, 2005
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I have tried to locate areas where drinks, snacks, etc were sold at sites like this - kids are good at dropping those coins. Good luck, hope you pull that silver out of there.

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Swing slow and cover each area well while you have the chance,
some other Th'er is eying this site too, guaranteed. Good luck,
sounds like a great place to pick up keepers!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
R

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
I just got back. This is day two. I covered the same areas as yesterday only today there was a lot less junk. lol. I got a handful of coins. The coins are soaking so I don't know for sure what I have but I don't think I got anything old. I'll keep ya'all posted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread